Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton should stay for years, regardless.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
If we were to come straight back down please don't give CH any flack. Understand where he has taken us from and to. He is total class. Give him time and trust him. Make this his club.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I agree, unless Jeff Stelling wants him sacked, obviously.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It's a nice thought and I hope he stays with us for some time, but this is modern PL football, so he will be with us until he is offered a job too good to turn down or we are losing every game and Tony sacks him.
It's all about results.
Good results lead to offers, bad results lead to the job centre.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If we were to come straight back down please don't give CH any flack. Understand where he has taken us from and to. He is total class. Give him time and trust him. Make this his club.
Agreed. Even if we do come straight back down (and I don't think we will) I won't be wanting to get rid of him. Being a 'bounce' club can be very lucrative, and CH would still be the person I'd want to get us back up again.

And you're welcome to bounce this if we're bottom of the table and ten points adrift at Christmas.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
It's a nice thought and I hope he stays with us for some time, but this is modern PL football, so he will be with us until he is offered a job too good to turn down or we are losing every game and Tony sacks him.
It's all about results.
Good results lead to offers, bad results lead to the job centre.

I'm not sure that's Tony's style. I think he tends to be very loyal to those staff approaching the job in the right way - he stood by Hyypia long after he'd lost the fans.

I think Tony and Chris have a good working relationship of trust and respect for each other (or at least this is the impression I get from the interviews they have given). There's also a certain pragmatism to the way in which Chris goes about his job, which fits very much with Tony's vision for the club's working ethic more generally. In short, I'm not sure Tony would be 'trigger happy' were we to suffer a long series of bad results in the Premier League.

derbyseagull

May 6, 2006
Derby UK

I agree with this. We may have a tough season next year. If we do we should stick with Chris Houghton. Burnley did it with Dyche and bounced straight back. Other clubs who just go through managers just fall further. QPR, Aston Villa, Wolves. I think there is a case for sticking with a manager that knows the club. I don't think we will come straight back down by the way. However if it did happen we would come back even stronger like other teams like WBA have.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm not sure that's Tony's style. I think he tends to be very loyal to those staff approaching the job in the right way - he stood by Hyypia long after he'd lost the fans.

I think Tony and Chris have a good working relationship of trust and respect for each other (or at least this is the impression I get from the interviews they have given). There's also a certain pragmatism to the way in which Chris goes about his job, which fits very much with Tony's vision for the club's working ethic more generally. In short, I'm not sure Tony would be 'trigger happy' were we to suffer a long series of bad results in the Premier League.

I spoke with his daughter Aisha after the Wigan game. She used the word 'dynasty' to describe what she hopes her Dad will achieve with Albion. He's in this for the long haul.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I see us having a fairly reasonable season next year. Mid table finish, bit of a cup run and some memorable wins against some of the big boys. Chris will be with us throughout.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It was said when Gus was here and is just as true still. We are a great club for any manager to build something spectacular in modern football with a huge fan base who don't expect miracles and a chairman who will back a long term project.

If we don't stay up next season I'd like us to keep CH, I think he could continue to build us and take us towards a top half finish

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Agree with all the comments and sentiments about sticking by CH, even if we struggle and or are relegated next season.

He was a guest on Radio 5 this morning - not an interview but in the studio. He is a class, intelligent and articulate act who always seems to speak real sense about everything he is asked about. He commands a great deal of respect from plenty of people who have nothing to do with our football club.

larus

In line with the sentiments so far :
1. I don't think TB would sack him even if we have a really bad season.
2. I hope he wouldn't walk even if TB didn't sack him.
3. More importantly, I hope that the fans who are fickle (and we see them on here even bedwetting when it was getting tight a few weeks ago), don't come out with the usual crap about "We can't afford to go down" etc.

Next year will be tough. I'm expecting bottom third if I'm honest so anything above that will be superb. However, I do feel we have the ability to become an established mid table team, especially if we can nurture some decent home-grown talent through the academy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It does depend a little on how much Tony invests this summer. We might be sensible with the cash which makes staying up a challenge, but then we go again if relegated - but if he spends a lot, he we might need to stay up. I imagine it will be the former.

larus

It does depend a little on how much Tony invests this summer. We might be sensible with the cash which makes staying up a challenge, but then we go again if relegated - but if he spends a lot, he we might need to stay up. I imagine it will be the former.

I hope it's this. Stability is much more important than short-term success. And, with where we are in terms of infrastructure, I am confident we'd be in a good position to moun another challenge if we were relegated. But I am an optimist :)

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It is super important that we do stay up.

However, if we were to go back down to the championship, I know who I would have faith in to get us back up again - and that is CH.

So if we stay up we will want him, and if we go down we will need him. Either way I think, from our perspective, CH staying would be a good thing, whatever happens next season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I shall take pleasure in bouncing this thread after the first Hughton OUT thread is posted next season :smile:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I see us having a fairly reasonable season next year. Mid table finish, bit of a cup run and some memorable wins against some of the big boys. Chris will be with us throughout.

Can't agree.........Definitely won't be in bottom 3 but mid table is pushing it a bit but definitely no cup run. Staying up will be the target for the first season. That's my thoughts anyhow

ThePolishJig

Mar 21, 2013
People said the same about Ranieri - I agree he would be the best man for the job if we were to go back down the championship.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here