Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeff sterlings outburst

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Garbage.

He's a fan. I'd do exactly the same in his position.

Yes - he's a fan and he's also a TV presenter. You can't always be both at the same time. You have to keep your professional life separate from your private life or you end up compromising yourself and looking a cock - like he did today.

Anyway - we'll have to agree to disagree. You liked it, I didn't. I don't reckon we'll find any middle ground on this one. Have a good Saturday night and up the Albion.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Yes - he's a fan and he's also a TV presenter. You can't always be both at the same time. You have to keep your professional life separate from your private life or you end up compromising yourself and looking a cock - like he did today.

Anyway - we'll have to agree to disagree. You liked it, I didn't. I don't reckon we'll find any middle ground on this one. Have a good Saturday night and up the Albion.

For me a big part of the show is that he IS a fan of a lower league club and he let's his emotions shine through. This is his connection to us fans. I liked it, you could see he really meant it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
A lot is being about the fact it was fair game because it's a lower league club. I'm sure everyone would be calling him out as a chopper if it was a Wenger out rant from an Arsenal fan.

Personally, I think a lot of this for show. Given that he works with Phil Thompson who makes noises like he is being noshed off under the desk by Cameron Diaz and 'Mers' who cracks one off over a throw in to Arsenal, it's little surprise he's picked up bell cheese tendencies. Another one of the sky gravy train whose ego has overtaken his talent.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He's Club President - if that is how he feels he could phone the chairman tonight and speak with him privately and personally. He did it on telly to get the kudos that people are now giving him. Using his privileged position of being a TV presenter to call for someone to lose their job is utterly classless.

And comparing an unsuccessful manager with corrupt owners intend on acquiring the assets of the club for just shy of £57 then selling the ground is just nonsense. Utterly different scenarios. But I suspect you know that.

Agree. Shouldn't use his position to that.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
seadogfan has posted this on the Non League Forum:

After the great escape last season Hartlepool United sink into the bottom two after today's result. Jeff Stelling made a passionate plea live on Soccer Saturday for the manager, Dave Jones to quit or the board sack him or else he would resign as president tonight.

Well fast forward a few hours and Mr Stelling has been true to his word and quit his position in the club and immediately been unveiled as a new President of the supporters trust. Something of a power struggle ahead? As they tumble into non league?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I think I can find some middle ground.
Ultimately he is a TV presenter and really should not have done it, but he is also a fan and president of a club heading into non-league football.
The timing of the loss to Hartlepools and Newports win got to him hence the outburst and he apologised, but how often has anyone done or said something stupid at a match when the pressure is really on or posted something on here that you immediately regret, I have many times.
The moment got to him with his fans hat on, live on TV or not if you have no passion for your club in trouble then you are not much of a fan.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
I like Stelling but he's a bit of a parody of himself these days.

That said, if I had a platform like he does, I'd use it too. He knows he has no risk of losing his job as he's so fundamental to that show's success.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think I can find some middle ground.
Ultimately he is a TV presenter and really should not have done it, but he is also a fan and president of a club heading into non-league football.
The timing of the loss to Hartlepools and Newports win got to him hence the outburst and he apologised, but how often has anyone done or said something stupid at a match when the pressure is really on or posted something on here that you immediately regret, I have many times.
The moment got to him with his fans hat on, live on TV or not if you have no passion for your club in trouble then you are not much of a fan.

Then maybe he should have taken the day off and gone to the game, given it's importance?
I was at the Hereford game - nothing would have stopped me being there.

[edit}

I was okay with him requesting that the manager 'walk.'
I just didn't like him appealing to the Chairman to sack him. Complete lack of class and respect for another person, in my opinion.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Totally unprofessional in my book and he should get at least a warning about it.
Keep the personal stuff to yourself or your Facebook page and fans forum if you have to, no place for it on national tv.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tough one. Soccer Saturday is a show for football fans who haven't gone to the game and in Stelling they have a passionate presenter who seems to care about his club and the plight of other clubs. I'll cut him some slack over this - it's the first time he's done this sort of thing in 20 years.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I also loved the way he was praising the Leyton Orient supporters who travelled to Crew, I think he said 431 of them which is great, and then also had a right go at the Orient board for ruining a club

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm torn,the child & fan in me absolutely loved it,the sensible adult however approves very little..

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
All good balanced views but I think I will have to agree that if Des had done that at the height of our troubles, I think that the majority of Brighton fans would thanked him for doing so.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here