Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reclaiming Brighton as the default team for Sussex kids

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I've always been the only one wearing a Brighton shirt when I was at school. Even my cousins and brothers had their Leeds, Arsenal etc.
Have lived in Barcelona since 2005 and buy a shirt every season and wear it around the city, one of the thingsI most remember when I come back to Brighton is how many adults and children wear the shirt with pride.

Are you coming to Madrid for El Classico tomorrow by any chance?

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Are you coming to Madrid for El Classico tomorrow by any chance?

No, I'm currently in L'Escala (Costa Brava) and will be heading back to BCN tomorrow with my kids. I have work on Monday, you based in Madrid?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
it's a double edged sword isn't it

Brighton being the only 'proper' club in Sussex

when successful fans come from far and wide

when not so,they're easily dumped

the club have done a good job on this front

hopeully the good work will carry on,even with the sky money rolling in

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
been the default team for a couple of years. all my boys play junior football and the percentages have been 80%+ for a couple of years (Lewes).

expecting 90+% next season....

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
When I was at school there were no such things as replica tops - you'd be lucky if your mum knitted you a blue & white scarf!

So true , I wore a scarf and bobble hat knitted by my dear old Nan way back in the early 60's .

D

Deleted member 22389

Oh my God.

The Panini sticker thing hadn't occurred to me. That is proper exciting!

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

There was another thread on this too, yes I will definitely be getting the stickers. May be we can all do swaps on NSC.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
And we need to educate our kids how to turn others. My daughter was telling me yesterday kids in her class support Man U. I just told her to ask them "how many times have they been to see their team play".

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I loaned my best Albion shirt to my Nephew for a 6 months trip to Australia which included the one test win Boxing Day when about about forty Brighton fans meet up. Then he left by mistake in Perth and I then sore it on an old mates son on face book. So I was happy it's was being worn in Australia by a brighton Fan.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If converting people to watch the Albino everyone needs to stop wit the JCL stuff and welcome all new fans as the adults will bring the kids etc.

Are they not being welcomed now?

There will always be a minority of pricks who make JCL comments, I remember them when we first moved home to Withdean for god sake and likewise again in the first season of the Amex, and again when we stuck the second tier on and filled in the corners.

I don't mind people jumping on now we're a PL club as long as they don't jump off when we're not.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hopefully the club will have stacks of kits available for kids to buy over the summer at major shopping malls throughout the county.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
It's been quite a journey, hasn't it? Remember taking my eldest lad to a game in the final season at the Goldstone, hoping the Albion bug would bite good and proper. Some visits to Priestfield followed, and by the time we were at Withdean it was never in doubt.

I remember from my school days back in the 60s and 70s that the default pressure was to support the teams that were winning stuff: eg Man U, Liverpool etc.
Now we have a great chance to win new generations to the Albion - a local team, playing great football and at a high level. Bring it on.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think most kids, once they've seen a live match, are hooked. I have so much respect for the generation who started supporting us when we were rubbish, despite the Premier League coming into force. Well done to those, many now in their 30's.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I took a brighton kit bag to school everyday in the 80's long after relegation to the 2nd tier., While all the plastic fan kids had Liverpool/arsenal. man utd. etc.

Just shows you how fickle kids are. Whereas there are very few actual genuine ones at that age.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here