Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nobody in there right mind

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not being able to spell or use correct grammar doesn't necessarily make you an idiot. You could just be a victim of slack teaching in Brighton's schools. I speak from experience: neither of my adult children are idiots, but their spelling and grammar are, by any standards, poor.

Maybe victim of slack parenting too....it's not all down to teachers.

Stumpy Tim

Yeah, but...we could have at least drawn instead of losing.

Still at least this story will have a happy ending.
If we had drawn then Newcastle would need to win both of their next games to allow the City match to matter. Now if the barcodes take 4 points from their 2 games, we know we'll win the title with a point. So a draw last night would have made it less likely that the City game would have anything riding on it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
If we keep playong like that we won't win another game and come back down by Christmas. Simple.
The players need a MASSIVE rocket.

Christ, if you genuinely have your knickers in a twist over the result last night I'd give this forum a miss next year, you may be suicidal with all the games we'll lose.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
A "victim of slack teaching", well that ignores and excludes self tuition and a driven curious nature and subsequently tries to lay the blame on education, teachers or anyone other than self. I am often pulled up and then learn, your family have problems with that?

Maybe victim of slack parenting too....it's not all down to teachers.

Yeah but it's much easier to blame someone else that take responsibility for yourself.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I don't excuse either parents or individuals from responsibility. Having said that, and again talking only from my own experience, I still think the schools have a lot to answer for. One example, from many: having spent some time trying to explain grammatical mistakes to my kids and helping them correct their homework, I was told by my son that "it's a waste of time; the teachers don't care about this stuff". I then raised this at the school parents' evening, asking his physics teacher (he was doing a physics GCSE at the time) why the school didn't penalise poor/incorrect grammar, and got a response along the lines of "well, this is science, not literature, so it's the results of the experiments that are important, not whether they are written up in grammatical English". This somewhat undermined my own attempts to help my son with his grammar. In later life, he eventually got a PhD in a scientific subject, and had to make a lot of belated effort to improve his grammar when writing up his scientific results for peer-reviewed academic journals, for whom correct English was important.

By the way, in this one....
A "victim of slack teaching", well that ignores and excludes self tuition and a driven curious nature and subsequently tries to lay the blame on education, teachers or anyone other than self. I am often pulled up and then learn, your family have problems with that?
.... I'd recommend a full stop, rather than a comma between "....learn" and "your family".

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bing bing bing

Grammar police alert

Speller proper you idiot

Neeee naaaah. Neeeee naaaah

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don't excuse either parents or individuals from responsibility. Having said that, and again talking only from my own experience, I still think the schools have a lot to answer for. One example, from many: having spent some time trying to explain grammatical mistakes to my kids and helping them correct their homework, I was told by my son that "it's a waste of time; the teachers don't care about this stuff". I then raised this at the school parents' evening, asking his physics teacher (he was doing a physics GCSE at the time) why the school didn't penalise poor/incorrect grammar, and got a response along the lines of "well, this is science, not literature, so it's the results of the experiments that are important, not whether they are written up in grammatical English". This somewhat undermined my own attempts to help my son with his grammar. In later life, he eventually got a PhD in a scientific subject, and had to make a lot of belated effort to improve his grammar when writing up his scientific results for peer-reviewed academic journals, for whom correct English was important.

By the way, in this one....

.... I'd recommend a full stop, rather than a comma between "....learn" and "your family".

So despite the fact that your son now has a PHD in a scientific subject you are accusing his science teacher at school of slack teaching.

Sounds like he did a pretty good job in identifying the important needs of your child at a given time and acting on them to avoid squashing your sons enthusiasm for science by focussing on the negatives of his grammar and punctuation.

Perhaps more effort in Literacy was required at the time to avoid the belated effort with grammar? Anyway it sounds like it worked out for him so perhaps the teacher deserves a little credit?

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
6bf46a9fe6752236c013a01a5ea13c76.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hopefully Newcastle do their bit to keep this alive for Saturday. A win and a draw please. It would be so good to celebrate the Championship title after the match instead of before!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
So despite the fact that your son now has a PHD in a scientific subject you are accusing his science teacher at school of slack teaching.

Sounds like he did a pretty good job in identifying the important needs of your child at a given time and acting on them to avoid squashing your sons enthusiasm for science by focussing on the negatives of his grammar and punctuation.

Perhaps more effort in Literacy was required at the time to avoid the belated effort with grammar? Anyway it sounds like it worked out for him so perhaps the teacher deserves a little credit?

No, the teacher in question was definitely poor, in my view, and this view is not simply based on her reluctance to engage with grammar etc. My son did pretty badly at the GCSE in question (not helped by the fact that this same teacher "lost" my son's coursework project, along with those of most of the rest of the physics group, and the grades had to be estimated, post hoc, by the exam board), and the teacher didn't do much/anything to stimulate an enthusiasm in science. The enthusiasm came later, at A level at the sixth form college, where the teaching was pretty good, and I'm very happy to give them some of the credit.
I don't see why teaching a subject and inspiring an interest in it, on the one hand, and making sure that the students acquire the basics of good English (which they will need in any professional career) on the other hand, should be mutually exclusive. The schools should do both.
I also think that there shouldn't be a reliance on parents to do this. Yes, in my case, I could probably have helped to make sure my kids learned correct grammar etc, but what about the kids whose parents themselves don't have that knowledge? A key principle of state education should be that all kids, irrespective of parental background, get a high quality grounding in basic skills and knowledge.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Unless you're antipodean that is a statement, not a question.

Just getting into the spirit of this thread.

Or perhaps I am just asking other people's views? Thanks for the pedantic reply. Noted and filed in the draw marked B.

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Or perhaps I am just asking other people's views? Thanks for the pedantic reply. Noted and filed in the draw marked B.
Oops, you did it again!

I thing your gonna need a bigger draw?

(Damn, now I'm doing it.)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Gotta say I was gobsmacked when (admittedly some years ago) I went to a parent's evening and pointed out to the teacher that there were a number of spelling / grammatical errors in the young 'uns "writing book".

Teacher replied that they don't like to correct spelling errors "as it might upset the child".

A truly sad and sorry state of affairs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here