Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some advice on whisky (or whiskey)

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I'm a big fan of Caol Isla. Nice smokey/peaty whiskey. The whiskey shop down in east street has a pretty decent selection. Some obscure stuff in there.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I don't know a thing about whisky/whiskey, but Trafalgar Wines on Trafalgar St in Brighton sells a lot of unusual stuff and there's an offie in Sydney Street with a weird selection of bottles in the window .... I'll get me coat :drink:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Image result for jura whiskey

Our Scottish percussionist swears by this stuff.

The picture hasn't come out but the product is Jura Whiskey.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We had a clear out at the in laws a few months ago and donated a load of old bottles of scotch to a charity for a raffle. Whilst the scotch were the last prizes to be picked by punters, it turned out that one of them was more rare than others and was worth £200! justa ashame we didn't know sp the charity could have made more money out of it.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm a big fan of Caol Isla. Nice smokey/peaty whiskey. The whiskey shop down in east street has a pretty decent selection. Some obscure stuff in there.

Ive just had a look at our collection as my other half likes whisky. He has Caol Isla, Raggamore 12 year old, & Glenrothes select reserve.

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
Bushmills (Irish) claim to be the oldest licensed distillery in the world. Their "Black Bush" which is matured in oak casks which had contained port is by far my favourite whiskey. It sells for about £30 or just under.

If you do the tour round the Bushmills distillery in Ireland they tell you that their whiskey is triple distilled.

Why?

"To be sure, to be sure, to be sure!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
If you do the tour round the Bushmills distillery in Ireland they tell you that their whiskey is triple distilled.

Why?

"To be sure, to be sure, to be sure!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once for each of the tree fellas.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Having always been a malt snob but have now put that aside in the last two years - I visited Dewar's distlliery at Aberfeldy, where after tour you get the obligatory free sample. I tried the Aberfeldy single malt and Mrs D took the Dewer's 12 year old blended malt (not their standard blend) and passed it to me (she was designated driver!) and it was one of the nicest whisky I have ever drunk. So good it's my standard tipple and just bought a 15 year malt bottle on way back from USA. There was a great programme on BBC4 last year which showed the history of 'Scotch' and it said malt snobbery was a marketing ploy to overcome the whisky lake in the 70s. Some of the best whiskys are blends - that's why the blenders are insured for so much. The programme said some of the best overseas whiskys are from Japan, Tasmania, Sweden and lots of new craft distillerys now appearing. There are very few American whiskys as they mainly make bourbon - something to do with barley / corn content. Before buying for your friend find out what he likes as different locations have south different tastes - speyside, island, highland, lowland, Islay or Campbelltown. The big brands are that because they generally taste the best so enjoy a macallan, glenmorangie etc. Most obscure distillerys proudcue mainly for the core of blends.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Tried some Lagavulin the other day that was very nice. It's got that lovely smokey smell but I didn't find it anywhere near as peaty as Talisker or Laphroaig.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I once got completely drunk on a beautiful smokey American beauty at a fancy London bar, but could I remember what it was the next day? No chance, and never remembered since.

My personal favourite at the moment is Bookers, a stunning uncut and unfiltered bourbon, from the same distillery group comes Bakers, Basil Haydons and Knob Creek, all at varying levels of strength and perceived quality, any of those would do down well with a connoisseur.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here