Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

4 Not allowed!
    That journo omitted to mention that the quality of the bugle sold in there is poor too. It's 90% talc.
    El Rey esta muerto. Larga vida el Rey.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Went there on a Sunday lunchtime a few weeks ago and it was fine. It was my local in seventies and early eighties and i played for the dart team. As people have said it was the upmarket pub in the area before the Wilmington was tarted up and before the Snipe closed.Shame there aren't more locals like this left in Brighton.

0 Not allowed!
      Viz retweeting this now, looks like it's going a bit viral ish
      Pig City
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by joeinbrighton View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      They gave a surprisingly positive review of the Mitre Tavern only a few weeks ago.
      Why surprising? The Mitre is a superb boozer, probably my favourite in Brighton

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Why surprising? The Mitre is a superb boozer, probably my favourite in Brighton
      100%. A cracking proper pub.

A top 5 Brighton and Hove boozer.
      shut up and listen to 'Guided By Voices'

1 Not allowed!
      Cannot comment on the pub, never been in that I recall but the article is unfunny and poorly written. It reads like a 6 th former's attempt at adult humour. Piss poor.

0 Not allowed!
      What you need to remind yourself when you read that review is, how many other Pub Spy reviews have you read that are particularly nasty or incredibly judgemental about a pub that you thought was actually alright. Personally I think you could say that about pretty much all of the Pub Spy reviews.

I drink in the County Oak and I’ve never felt intimidated or that it was close to breaking out into violence, let alone actually see a fight. In fact in the last year since I’ve been drinking there, I’ve been made to feel very welcome by the staff and other locals.

What the article doesn’t say is that the County Oak is a big darts pub that supports our local leagues and does a lot to keep it going in Brighton. Darts might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it is a community within the city that draws people from all walks of life. Just because the community it serves aren’t residents getting together to fight parking issues or communal bins on their Hanover streets doesn’t mean it’s like “Shameless”.

The image they portray in that review is very far from the truth in my opinion. To say the pub is intimidating and unwelcoming makes me think the journalist had decided that before they went in and was always going to write a negative review.

3 Not allowed!
      What a cock , stick to wine bars you great big fannychopped goon .
      "SOLLY MARCH IS GIVING JOHNATHAN GROUNDS A ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE "

9 Not allowed!
      Articles like this actually do damage to the pub trade. The propogation of the idea that if your pub doesn't serve obscure ales alongside chef designed cuisine consisting mainly of ridiculous versions of a hamburger and the whole place hasn't been made over in a rustic stylee with expose pipework, amusing chalkboards and tall tables with stools made from the rusted bulkhead of a pre industrial revolution tractor then it should change or close rather than continue to serve the people that like it how it is. This is one of the reasons pubs are closing or turning into wankery gastro pubs with ****ing candy-floss machines and serving salted caramel popcorn as a ****ing bar snack.
      If it's Cloppers Clanger ale or a gluten free pulled pork fusion burger served in a clog you want, take a stroll throughout Brighton from Church Rd to Trafalgar St, you can sample more than 30 pubs exactly like that. Why go completely out of your way to visit a down to earth community pub you know you're going to hate just so you can write that you hate it. That pubs not for you and more importantly, it doesn't pretend to be. Take it or leave it. Wanker.
      Last edited by The Clamp; 22-04-2017 at 10:08.

1 Not allowed!
      You either do reviews or you don't, can't sugar coat an abysmal visit. I doubt the puke incident and pissed up staff statements are made up, so surely a fair review?