Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting Stat - If games were only 45 minutes long - We'd be 4th!!

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Interesting Stat for this season!

If games we're 45 minutes long, we'd be currently 4th!

http://www.soccerstats.com/halftime.asp?league=england2

I think this shows how we've come on from a few seasons ago, when we we're conceding near the end of games, and losing or drawing.
We've turned those matches into wins, which shows our "Never give up, play till the end of 90 minutes!" attitude, and fitness, and the reward of promotion to the Premier League.

Has it been stressful waiting for those last-minute winners?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doesn't overly surprise me. I think quite often we've been a bit ropey in the first half, but once Chris has had them in and tweeked a few things, we've seen an improvement.

No idea stat-wise what the ratio is for 1st half / 2nd half goals scored and conceded this season, and obviously I'm too lazy to go and find out.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Well, it's a stat, but to dignify it with epithet 'interesting' might be going a bit far. Consider following:

- Your case that somehow we have 'come on' can only be tested by comparing previous seasons, and remember the influence of draws. For obvious reasons, there are many more draws in a HT table;

- Good HT performance will tend to coincide with high goals scored and conceded because statistically less likely to be draws at HT. The top three do not surprise me for this reason;

- We are actually 4th in table, same points as Fulham and within shooting range of Newcastle;

- Look at the other promo contenders who rely more on sounder defence and narrow wins: 7th, 8th, 11th and 12th.

TBH, I don't think you can read much into this.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And there would still be people leaving on 40 minutes!

Talking of 2nd half goals, [MENTION=22473]mac04[/MENTION] and I never ever hang around on the concourse at half-time and always make sure we're back in our seats to see the 2nd half kick off. You are pretty much guaranteed a goal before the 50th minute at least 2 or 3 times a season.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's another:-

Newcastle have the 8th highest payroll in the COUNTRY.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hardly surprising. Well for home games at least. We ALWAYS score in the North in the second half.

By the powers of being a massive geek....

We've scored 28 of 45 home league goals, at the North end. 24 of those 28 have come in the second half of games.

We have only FAILED to score in the North goal on 4 occasions: Brentford (loss), Wolves (1-0 win) and the 1-1 draws with Villa and Ipswich.
We have also scored in the North (all second half) in all 3 cup games: Colchester (4 goals), MK Dons (1), Reading (1)

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Who has time to work this stuff out

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Interesting Stat for this season!

If games we're 45 minutes long, we'd be currently 4th!

http://www.soccerstats.com/halftime.asp?league=england2

I think this shows how we've come on from a few seasons ago, when we we're conceding near the end of games, and losing or drawing.
We've turned those matches into wins, which shows our "Never give up, play till the end of 90 minutes!" attitude, and fitness, and the reward of promotion to the Premier League.

Has it been stressful waiting for those last-minute winners?

Who has time to work this stuff out

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Do you think people update all these stat tables manually?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And there would still be people leaving on 40 minutes!

Talking of 2nd half goals, [MENTION=22473]mac04[/MENTION] and I never ever hang around on the concourse at half-time and always make sure we're back in our seats to see the 2nd half kick off. You are pretty much guaranteed a goal before the 50th minute at least 2 or 3 times a season.

This season, if you were not back in your seat until minute 50, you'd have missed THREE Albion goals (against Barnsley, Burton and Birmingham) - and no opposition goals.

If you were five minutes late at kick off, you'd have missed TWO (Derby and Birmingham) - and none against.

If you went to the bar on 40 minutes, you'd have missed TWO (Villa and Derby) and Dunk's OG v Wednesday

If you left to beat the queues on 85 minutes, you'd 'only' have missed Knockaert's winner v Wednesday, but also late goals for Preston, Birmingham, Newcastle and Wigan.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If you REALLY hate queues and you leave on 80 minutes, you've missed SEVEN Albion goals, FIVE opposition goals, and TWO red cards.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
When you say 45 mins long, which half is this based on.

First half.
Have been looking for a 2nd-half table, but can't find one. But thinking we should be first in that one, because of late winners, equalizing goals (Brentford), etc.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I did think we'd been consistently better in the 2nd half this season. Chris seems to sort things tactically at this point often, and take hold of a game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I did think we'd been consistently better in the 2nd half this season. Chris seems to sort things tactically at this point often, and take hold of a game.

I don't think it is about 'sorting' things at half time, in general. The tactics are planned right through, and generally involve plenty of possession first half to sap the opposition, before upping the tempo to take advantage of that second half.

pointless stat though - if games were 45 mins long then our tactic if losing or drawing with 20 minutes to go would be completely different. One thing packing the defence and holding on for a draw till halftime, another entirely when it would be the end of the match. What about the other stats we have scored more goals than anyone else in the division between 70-80 minutes -ie 20 mins before the end of the match so you could argue we would still do that if the matches are 45 mins long...Sorry i dont normally criticise other peoples comments (only in defending their responses to mine!) but this is up there in the "most pointless threads of the year :) "

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here