Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want to be naturally dominant?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Is anyone else a bit uneasy when Paul Barber talks about wanting to 'dominate' the South of England?

In his Argus interview he says: "First we have to dominate Brighton, then we dominate Sussex, then we dominate the South of England."

Now I know it's his job to sell seats and shirts and generally market the Albion to make as successful as we can be. But do we really want to be trying to convert people who live in Portsmouth or Southampton or Gillingham territory? Remember the bitterness that some Brighton fans still have towards Charlton for trying to 'recruit' in Sussex. Wouldn't it be hypocritical of us to do the same in other areas?

Personally I think our aim should be limited to having every person in Sussex supporting Brighton. That still leaves well over 1.5 million people in our natural catchment area. Isn't that enough?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Is anyone else a bit uneasy when Paul Barber talks about wanting to 'dominate' the South of England?

Not me.

I like the desire, the ambition, the winning mentality and the drive.

Barbara IN.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I think you're misinterpreting what he's saying,

He's talking about dominating the south of England as opposed to going after the Asia market. Basically walking before you can run. Of course he would love it if we were sellable to overseas markets, but lets focus on being the biggest club in the south first. So it's not about pinching fans (ala Charlton) and more so about cementing our position nationally before venturing further afield.

Makes a lot of sense to me - seems pragmatic.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

it's not about pinching fans.

Really? I must admit I read it as meaning EXACTLY that - getting kids in Kent, Hampshire and so on to support the Albion. Otherwise where is this revenue coming from?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not me. I'm a considerate lover and always make sure that I spend a bit of time playing with the boobs and nibbling their ear before we get down to business. Ladies appreciate things like that.

aoq6oj.jpg

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We have enough fans, I want to be able to get tickets ffs

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Not me. I'm a considerate lover and always make sure that I spend a bit of time playing with the boobs and nibbling their ear before we get down to business. Ladies appreciate things like that.

aoq6oj.jpg

It was just a matter of time, considering. I sadly thought the same. Shame on me.(And you too Buzzer, loads of you lot too. Probably)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Makes perfect sense to me, continuing the slow expansion and growing the club rather than chasing the quick money. Solid foundations rather than boom and bust.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Uneasy at ambition? Good God no.

But [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION] is correct, the quote was in the context of not going after Asia the second we've got promoted which is a mistake that more than one of our rivals has made. If we do become the Man Utd of the south it won't bother me in the slightest. It's highly unlikely though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

aoq6oj.jpg

I somehow feel giving this a thumbs up could be misconstrued.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I can switch from my naturally dominant position in the bedroom to kind and caring, depending on the situation. I'm also a great dancer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

He's talking about dominating the south of England as opposed to going after the Asia market. Basically walking before you can run. Of course he would love it if we were sellable to overseas markets, but lets focus on being the biggest club in the south first. So it's not about pinching fans (ala Charlton) and more so about cementing our position nationally before venturing further afield.

Makes a lot of sense to me - seems pragmatic.

have to say i'd rather look overseas to expand the merchandise buying base, than chasing interest from kids in Kent and Surrey.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I don't see a problem with it, if only because the alternative to constant growth is to just stagnate and effectively 'settle' for what we have, which seems worse.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Uneasy at ambition? Good God no.

But [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION] is correct, the quote was in the context of not going after Asia the second we've got promoted which is a mistake that more than one of our rivals has made. If we do become the Man Utd of the south it won't bother me in the slightest. It's highly unlikely though.

Yes, we can change our name to Brighton Tigers.

FFS.

:lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills