Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top four PL teams in Championship - how would they do?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's an interesting question on one of the Newcastle fans sites: would the top four in the Premier League be the top four in the Championship?

We talk about how Brighton would do in the PL but what about the other way round? Could they cope with the greater physicality and the greater number of games?

I reckon they'd have enough class to do it (Arsenal would be the one team who may not make it but they're no longer top four) but it's worthy of debate.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Silly Geordies... Silly question... They would walk it... Any decent players in the championship usually end up in the prem.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Feels like they might just be trying to rationalize why they have not "done it" (yet) as most people, including me though they would at a canter.. all part of the grief curve..

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wonder how Real Madrid would get on in League 2? Would they have enough class I wonder? I'm not sure. Afterall, Portsmouth are only third...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A better question would be how would the top 4 from the Scottish Premiership fair in the Championship.

Celtic may do ok but would find it a shock to actually have some competition the other 3 would be mid table at best and relegation may beckon.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Silly Geordies... Silly question... They would walk it... Any decent players in the championship usually end up in the prem.

The argument they were making is that Newcastle finished second because they had a team more suited to the PL and would finish well above Brighton in the PL. From that premise, someone asked whether the top four in the PL would be the top four in the Championship.

Like I said in my original post, I thought they would - but it would be an interesting set of challenges for them. It would be like playing Stoke every week :)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
They'd walk the Championship. The difference in quality from the Championship to the Premier League is one thing, but the top four are virtually in a league of their own.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Do Newcastle think a team full of championship donkeys like Daryl Murphy or Premier League rejects like Matt Ritchie and Dwight Gayle would do well in the PL ?

That's the argument, yes

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Although Chelsea and Arsenal have been beaten by palace, a team which isn't even Championship Ready.

So with that in mind I'm going to say Rotherham or Burton would win this alternate division. :facepalm:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
The extra games is not even an issue. The top 4 have players in their stiffs that would fit in to a lot of Premiership teams.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
120 points minimum i would say

All of them? Couldn't see that.

The other part of the question is not how they'd fare but whether they'd be in the same order? Would Chelsea still be top, with Spurs second? Again, I'd say yes

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can you imagine the likes of Agüero and Hazard playing every week in the Championship?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
The argument they were making is that Newcastle finished second because they had a team more suited to the PL and would finish well above Brighton in the PL. From that premise, someone asked whether the top four in the PL would be the top four in the Championship.

Like I said in my original post, I thought they would - but it would be an interesting set of challenges for them. It would be like playing Stoke every week :)

Haha

First of all, they haven't finished second yet.

Secondly, they were ****ing shit in the premier league and got relegated - if the TOP FOUR of the prem were playing in the championship (you know, the best four teams in england) they would tear it to absolute shreds. Four teams on over 100 points.

Delusional.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here