Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do we improve our squad for PL?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He is neither young, nor Premier League quality.

The difference in quality between what we have and what is required to compete around the middle of the Premier League is being enormously underestimated by many on this forum. The person who suggested Ince has a role to play in a Premier League team must be targeting 20th next season.
This. Unfortunately.

The biggest trap infront of us now is to assume we don't need that many recruits.

Tough decisions need to be made with some of the out of contract players as a minimum - before we even consider whether all contracted players make the 25.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Players with PL experience is a must, even if it's one or two who may not play much.

Barry would be worth a look at for a season as I believe he is on a free.

D

Deleted member 2719

1 goal all season, 7 in his last 49 appearances and on the wrong side of 30, plus a slow coach in the mould of Murray and Hemed. I think we've passed him on the way up.

He was still a Premier league champion though!!

I am not suggesting he would be a starter.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. Unfortunately.

The biggest trap infront of us now is to assume we don't need that many recruits.

Tough decisions need to be made with some of the out of contract players as a minimum - before we even consider whether all contracted players make the 25.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Good post.

This Albion squad and team would be relegated after one season. All clubs in the PL other than M'boro have invested in pace, power, finishers and football nowse.

Several quality recruits are required. Despite the talk from all, some players may well go.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good post.

This Albion squad and team would be relegated after one season. All clubs in the PL other than M'boro have invested in pace, power, finishers and football nowse.

Several quality recruits are required. Despite the talk from all, some players may well go.
Of course we'll need some new recruits - and inevitably (unless we recruit disastrously at Burke levels) they will replace some of the players that have done so well for us this season. Only a numpty could fail to understand that. The even bigger numpties, of course, are the ones who couldn't understand that while we were still battling to secure automatic promotion, that wasn't the time to start discussing who would get the chop.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fail to sign much better forwards than we currently have and we'll be straight back down, which won't be the end of the world.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fail to sign much better forwards than we currently have and we'll be straight back down, which won't be the end of the world.

Just got back.

Bong and Bruno so uncomfortable today against pace (even little old Bristol's relegation threatened version). Bong an awful passer. An assessment NOT based on a single game. So, we definitely need LB and RB's in the summer. If not, Sadio Mane, Griezman, Willian, Redmond, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose, etc ... will simply destroy them.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Just got back.

Bong and Bruno so uncomfortable today against pace (even little old Bristol's relegation threatened version). Bong an awful passer. An assessment NOT based on a single game. So, we definitely need LB and RB's in the summer. If not, Sadio Mane, Griezman, Willian, Redmond, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose, etc ... will simply destroy them.
I agree Murray, Hemed (sadly), Bong / Rosenior , Bruno (very sadly) - question marks against all of them

On the plus side I'm happy with Stockdale (if he stays) , centre back situation, Knockaert , March (in current role so sometimes starting, sometimes coming on) , Stephens (if he stays), Baldock, Kayal. I know others would very much disagree but I would persist with Skalak and Murphy in a similar role to now.

Of course we can speculate on who is and isn't good enough. The important thing is that any coming in have to be better than what we have

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree Murray, Hemed (sadly), Bong / Rosenior , Bruno (very sadly) - question marks against all of them

On the plus side I'm happy with Stockdale (if he stays) , centre back situation, Knockaert , March (in current role so sometimes starting, sometimes coming on) , Stephens (if he stays), Baldock, Kayal. I know others would very much disagree but I would persist with Skalak and Murphy in a similar role to now.

Of course we can speculate on who is and isn't good enough. The important thing is that any coming in have to be better than what we have

Agree with you about Baldock as one our four strikers with Murray and two new better players. His pace and ability to outpace defenders was sorely missed today.

Would shed no tears if Skalak went. He really won't get any change out of PL fullbacks - they're all good footballers with pace to burn.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
None of this lot, based on today, are good enough. Yes, that includes Knockeart. Most important game in decades and they fecked up bjg time.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Apart from Stephens,Dunk,Uwe and stockers the rest were very poor. Seems they are already on holiday and packed up
And that is not acceptable.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Agree with you about Baldock as one our four strikers with Murray and two new better players. His pace and ability to outpace defenders was sorely missed today.

Would shed no tears if Skalak went. He really won't get any change out of PL fullbacks - they're all good footballers with pace to burn.

Agreed: Skalak doesn't (even) go past defenders at Championship level.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I know for some reason people have said no (crazy in my eyes) but Defoe should be towards the top of the shopping list, for 1 season at least just to bring goals, and if you stay up you have someone ready to take over from him

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I just hope that we do not go for named mercenaries on high wages as a pension plan eg Barbatov says he wants 1 more season in the Premier or Gareth Barry. I hope they will be looking in Spain and Eastern Europe for younger players for the future but able to cope now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here