Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do we improve our squad for PL?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
1. Stockdale / New Signing
2. GK New Signing
3. GK - New Signing (Walton out on loan)
4. Bruno
5. New RB
6. LB New Signing
7. LB - New Signing ( Not convinced Pocognoli is good enough to start )
8. Rosenior as cover
9. Dunk
10. Duffy
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson (if recovered)
13. Stephens
14. Kayal
15. CM - New Signing
16. CM New Signing
17. Central Mid - New Signing
18. Knockaert
19. March
20. New Winger
21. Skalak
22. 'No 10' / Striker - New Signing
23. Murray
24. Baldock
25. New Signing

I'd also want to sign an U21 striker with potential

I'd let Maenpaa go as we need a no.2 who will press Stockdale for his place if he stays.
I'd also sell Murphy is the offer was right. He did well last season but I cannot see him offering enough at this level
Hemed I would also move on. Done nothing wrong but I don't see Murray as either a regular starter or scorer at this level and Hemed couldn't dislodge him.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
lualua (?) ince (l) towell (l) hunt(l) walton (l) ankergen (???) manu (?)
out out out out out backup out

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. Unfortunately.

The biggest trap infront of us now is to assume we don't need that many recruits.

Tough decisions need to be made with some of the out of contract players as a minimum - before we even consider whether all contracted players make the 25.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Excellent post.

Naive fans thinking our squad will stay up with just a couple of additions is harmless. If the club planned for that, we'd be relegated.

Club income is about to increase from £25m to £105m per annum, so we can afford to buy several quality players with their wage demands, along with significant pay increases for those first team squad players we intend to retain and play in the play.

Additional strikers of PL quality are a must, along with fullbacks, a PL winger to augment AK and SM, a no.10 and possibly another defensive midfielder. Plus a goalie if DS goes.

Some might be loanees.

TB will be determined to invest to stay.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Excellent post.

Naive fans thinking our squad will stay up with just a couple of additions is harmless. If the club planned for that, we'd be relegated.

Club income is about to increase from £25m to £105m per annum, so we can afford to buy several quality players with their wage demands, along with significant pay increases for those first team squad players we intend to retain and play in the play.

Additional strikers of PL quality are a must, along with fullbacks, a PL winger to augment AK and SM, a no.10 and possibly another defensive midfielder. Plus a goalie if DS goes.

Some might be loanees.

TB will be determined to invest to stay.

I'm confused. Most people on here are suggesting between 6-8 signings to supplement the existing squad, which if spent wisely will be adequate.

In fact, you own post above alludes to the same so where are the naive fans?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm confused. Most people on here are suggesting between 6-8 signings to supplement the existing squad, which if spent wisely will be adequate.

In fact, you own post above alludes to the same so where are the naive fans?

Don't be confused.

Not necessarily on this thread, but on others over the last few weeks and elsewhere, some Albion followers argued that we only need a couple of quality signings, which with our undoubted team spirit, will see us safe. They were pleased with an initial club statement that won't be wholesale changes.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Don't be confused.

Not necessarily on this thread, but on others over the last few weeks and elsewhere, some Albion followers argued that we only need a couple of quality signings, which with our undoubted team spirit, will see us safe. They were pleased with an initial club statement that won't be wholesale changes.

Then they do indeed sound naive, I just haven't heard anybody say we only need a couple of signings myself. That would be madness.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think most PL squads include 3 keepers. Bournemouth do.

The only exceptions to the recall rule is regarding goalkeepers and development squad. Goalkeepers CAN be recalled to a parent club on 24 hours notice if there are not two fit stoppers at the club. Additionally, clubs can still bring in a keeper on an emergency loan of seven days duration of they do not have a ‘senior’ keeper of their own available to them who has made at least five appearances.

So this may be important if over 21 Walton is loaned out? (EFL rules, are Premier League the same? The appearance rule could be different?) Keeping Ankers on the playing squad may affect this?

Clubs may not be keen to borrow Walton with a recall option?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Then they do indeed sound naive, I just haven't heard anybody say we only need a couple of signings myself. That would be madness.

It was/is a genuine view by some, and I understand their sentiments.

For me, the PL will be unforgiving, even little old Bournemouth are about to spend £18m on a Defoe (still a great finisher) contract to blow everyone else out of the water, and Burnley for example never give up gaining vital results. All have invested in pace and power, and have spent far much in fees and wages that some think. I look at our best eleven (those who don't tend to stay injured) and foresee weaknesses when up against PL teams with gifted players, height, pace and power; and several positions requiring immediate strengthening.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think most PL squads include 3 keepers. Bournemouth do.

The only exceptions to the recall rule is regarding goalkeepers and development squad. Goalkeepers CAN be recalled to a parent club on 24 hours notice if there are not two fit stoppers at the club. Additionally, clubs can still bring in a keeper on an emergency loan of seven days duration of they do not have a ‘senior’ keeper of their own available to them who has made at least five appearances.

So this may be important if over 21 Walton is loaned out? (EFL rules, are Premier League the same? The appearance rule could be different?) Keeping Ankers on the playing squad may affect this?

Clubs may not be keen to borrow Walton with a recall option?

Is your crush on Will Buckley finally over ? :wink:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
).
I do think we'll need to release a few players that are under contract, the aforementioned two and Hemed being the likeliest candidates, which might even free up some space for another player.

How do you release players under contract ?

Do you mean pay them off ?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It does seem that the limitations of a 25 man squad is a strong disincentive for keeping players with injury problems (unfair), and does very little to encourage young players coming through.

Otherwise there seems to a rough consensus of where the weaknesses lie. I don't know which players can hack it it out week after week in the Premier League.

If we are going to get more than four new players, players who have featured in the first team last season will have to leave or not be in the 25 man squad.

I don't think we will sign more than four, taking a note from Bournemouth's summer and because our first choice players will not be available to purchase.

Bournemouth released eight and signed eight in their first summer, and only the departure of Brett Pitman raised any eyebrows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_A.F.C._Bournemouth_season#Transfers_in

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Is your crush on Will Buckley finally over ? :wink:

We still need a speed merchant to make the opposition play deep and discourage rampaging full-backs. Give the opposition something to worry about and come up with an occasional goal (more goals than injuries). Who? Even the new improved Baldock is not quick enough to worry Championship defences let alone in the Premier League. Although I think he is a useful player and at pinch can play as a winger.

It is not really a winger that needs to be quick (he just needs to find space to pass or cross) but the second striker off the shoulder or running deeper past the last defender.

But with only a 25 man squad we cannot afford an injury prone player, not with our bad luck with injuries.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
How do you release players under contract ?

Do you mean pay them off ?

You're transmogrifying into [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION]: I meant sell, so a long way off from paying them off. To do this means that there are buyers and that the players are willing to go. All three I mention are model professionals, and will weigh things up. Although I might be wrong, and some or all of them might get a lot of game time in the PL and prove themselves, and I'd be delighted for them if they did. I just have my doubts, but I've been proved wrong before on my footballing understanding, just as with my choice of words.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It does seem that the limitations of a 25 man squad is a strong disincentive for keeping players with injury problems (unfair), and does very little to encourage young players coming through.

Otherwise there seems to a rough consensus of where the weaknesses lie. I don't know which players can hack it it out week after week in the Premier League.

If we are going to get more than four new players, players who have featured in the first team last season will have to leave or not be in the 25 man squad.

I don't think we will sign more than four, taking a note from Bournemouth's summer and because our first choice players will not be available to purchase.

Bournemouth released eight and signed eight in their first summer, and only the departure of Brett Pitman raised any eyebrows.

Not 100 percent on rules, but not all youth players have to be named in 25

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Agreed. The core of the first 11 who played that season were players who had played in the Champ and some of those in L1. (Cook, Gosling, Surman, Pugh, Smith, Ritchie, Wilson - before he was injured) Their signings were also successful Champ players like Murray, Mings.. Although bear in mind they spent £18m on Afobe and Grabban in the January window.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not 100 percent on rules, but not all youth players have to be named in 25

These were last season's Premier League squad rules:

1) All Premier League clubs must submit a squad of up to 25 players, by 5pm on Wednesday, September 1.

2) Each 25-man squad must include at least eight 'home-grown' players.

3) The 'home-grown' players do not have to be English. According to the Premier League: "A home grown player is defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Welsh Football Association for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21)."

4) In addition to the 25-man named squad, clubs can use an unlimited number of players aged 21 or under. . According to the Premier League: "An Under 21 player is defined as one who is under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences. For the 2010/11 campaign Under 21 players will have been born on or after 1st January 1989."

5) Clubs can make changes to their squad but only during transfer windows, so once submitted the clubs will be stuck with that squad until January. Only in exceptional circumstances, such as a goalkeeper crisis, can changes be made outside the window, and then only if the Premier League board approves the changes.

6) Once the transfer window opens again, there are no restrictions on how many changes clubs can make to their squads, so they can replace the entire 25 if they want to.

7) Even if a player is not named in the 25-man squad, they can still play in the FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League or Europa League.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Three seasons in the play-offs and then automatic promotion. But the new signings could not keep them up. This is Cardiff.

I think we might have to play mostly the bulk of the squad we already have as anything more than four signings is gonna be signing expensive duds. More like Burnley and Bournemouth.

Newcastle can buy the duds.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here