Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the older fans

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
When I started watching in the 1950s I seem to remember that mid week matches were played on a Wednesday afternoon as in those days shops had half day closing which allowed shop workers who worked Saturday to attend matches. I do remember bunking off school to see a FA Cup replay against Rotherham United who were an established Division 2 team while Albion were still in Division 3 South. I also believe that was the match when the fans were singing Success By The Sea to a well known tune.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A kick off at 5.30 meant finishing at 7.10 as there was only 10 mins for half time and no added stoppage time as per now. In September it would stay light until about 7.45 - 8.00pm so perfectly ok to finish a game in good light. It must also be remembered that at Easter we played 3 games and I remember Chesterfield away Good Friday, Southend at home Saturday and Southend away Monday I may have actually mixed up Good Friday and Saturday and going to Chesterfield on Saturday.. The night we beat Watford to gain our very first promotion was played with I think a 7.00pm kick off and no lights..

Correct. In late September under BSTx2 the light would become very poor after 7.30-7.45 pm.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A kick off at 5.30 meant finishing at 7.10 as there was only 10 mins for half time and no added stoppage time as per now. In September it would stay light until about 7.45 - 8.00pm so perfectly ok to finish a game in good light. It must also be remembered that at Easter we played 3 games and I remember Chesterfield away Good Friday, Southend at home Saturday and Southend away Monday I may have actually mixed up Good Friday and Saturday and going to Chesterfield on Saturday.. The night we beat Watford to gain our very first promotion was played with I think a 7.00pm kick off and no lights..

Was that when Johnny Meadows, the Watford Captain, ended up on the back pages of the News of the World for match fixing? He's my uncle.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Actually BG the promotion game against Watford in 1958 started at 6.15 pm, I still remember it with great fondness.

I bunked off school so wasnt really sure what time it kicked off but knew it was quite early. Thanks for the info but to your memory am I right about added on time s I do not remember much if any at all.

arich264

A rich *******
I think there was added on time to account for injuries as in "injury time" but none added on for time wasting etc.
I was at the Watford game just as I was at Monday's game against Wigan. My goodness I feel old now.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Looking through Monday's programme, I note that the Liverpool game in 1958/59 kicked off at 5.30,

This was, of course, pre-floodlights so what was it like watching a game with no lights. This match was in late September so would have been decidedly gloomy by the end of the game - could fans see what was going on?

And did the lack of floodlights mean no midweek fixtures between October and March? How did they fit all the games in, particularly with the season starting two weeks later than now and finishing two weeks earlier? I know that there are no international breaks to fit in but don't see how it was done?

I also note that the attendance for the Liverpool game was a lot lower than the Saturday games. Was there less of an atmosphere for midweek games.

I know this nothing to do with promotion to PL but until I saw the kick-off time, I'd not thought about this before

Max

I know we were barely 3 years old but were we there?

Still buzzing and serenely not worried about anything footballwise for at least 4 months.....

TNBA

TTF

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
If I remember correctly there were far less postponed matches in the 50s/60s as they used to play on snow covered,waterlogged and even icy surfaces. I certainly saw more than one match at the Goldstone where they had to clear the snow off of the lines so you could see if the ball had gone out of play. I also remember that if the pitch was snow covered they used to use an orange ball so you could see it

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the salient point was made earlier that we had proper days then so it would have been lighter longer into the evening...

All the days were longer and warmer before we joined the EEC.

el punal

Goldfish memory time here! At the Goldstone in the 1960/70s, Saturday games kicked off at 3.00 and finished at 4.40 (only 10 minutes for half time then). Evening games, usually Wednesday, had a 7.30 k.o. Bank holiday games were early kick offs, usually 11.00 or 11.30 - can't seem to remember them being 3.00 until the mid-70s.

Now, what was the question? :mad:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
If I remember correctly there were far less postponed matches in the 50s/60s as they used to play on snow covered,waterlogged and even icy surfaces. I certainly saw more than one match at the Goldstone where they had to clear the snow off of the lines so you could see if the ball had gone out of play. I also remember that if the pitch was snow covered they used to use an orange ball so you could see it

This was the worst pitch I ever witnessed played on at the Goldstone
goldstone 001.jpg

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I have just looked at the final month of the 57/58 season and Albion's first ever promotion season.

How they kept going to win the league by one point was amazing with such a congested fixture list.

April 4th Millwall (a) D 2-2
April 5th Northampton (h) L 1-4
April 7th Millwall (h) W 4-2
April 12th Torquay (a) L 2-0
April 19th Brentford (h) D 1-1
April 23rd Port Vale (a) D 2-2
April 26th Watford (a) W 0-1
April 28th Brentford (a) L 1-0
April 30th Watford (h) W 6-0 And Champions
9 games in 26 days, those boys must have been truly fit back then.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Some games kicked off Saturdays at 2.00pm in winter and mid week cup replays. The most notorious of cup replays our 4 - 0 defeat to Walton was an afternoon kick off replay. Junior leagues kicked off at 1.00pm on many ocassions.
Don't know if already stated (can't be arsed to read all the thread yet) but as I recall wasn't the reason for the afternoon mid week replay due to the three day week power conservation due to the coal miners dispute?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here