Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would your transfer policy be this summer?

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Would you spend big on a couple of big players and keep the bulk of this squad?
Load the squad with older EPL experience?
Scout abroad and gamble on relative unknowns?
Buy young talent so that if we go down we have a squad to keep together to come back up?
Loan players?

What would your transfer policy be this summer if you had the chequebook...

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I'd like to see a marquee signing, preferably a South American attacking midfielder, in the vein of Coutinho/Juninho.... the rest can be cheepos!

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Search Players> Filter> Contract Expired> Sort by> International Caps
Hopefully we won't use CM3 as a basis for searching for players as we will end up with Stafford Browne back!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't listen to NSC.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Southampton have never gone mad on transfers. They've built each season, and despite players and managers moving on, retain a solid spirit in the camp. Pelle was what, £8m, scored plenty of goals and they sold him for £12m. Mane, bought for £12m, sold for £34m. You then look at what they've done for Redmond and even Shane Long, a lot to be admired up the South coast.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
4-5 signings with 3 of them being Prem quality players with Prem experience.
1-2 strikers
1-2 full backs
1-2 cm
maybe 1 keeper

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
- 1 experienced quality defender who can play central defence or fullback.

- 1 quality central midfielder ( 2 if Stephens leaves ).

- 1 Baldock-type striker.

- 1 Utility striker / midfielder.

- Sort out the keepers depending on who stays.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
4-5 signings with 3 of them being Prem quality players with Prem experience.
1-2 strikers
1-2 full backs
1-2 cm
maybe 1 keeper

Wow blow the budget - Watford did this when they went up and spent about 75 milllion. Not sure Tony will spend as much as that and put the ckub at risk. Although he well well but perhaps ignore the Prem experience and buy that many from Europe or young talent like the next Lingard.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure we will be scouring the Euro market looking for the next Berbatov Modric. or Vydra taking into account that Gus wanted to sign Van Dijk but bulked at the extra £500k and look at his ratings value now.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Wow blow the budget - Watford did this when they went up and spent about 75 milllion. Not sure Tony will spend as much as that and put the ckub at risk. Although he well well but perhaps ignore the Prem experience and buy that many from Europe or young talent like the next Lingard.

Did I say blow the budget? No. Honestly think we only need a striker and full back to be starters and a cm if Stephens goes.

The other additions are just to improve the quality of our squad.

Blowing the budget would be getting at least 7-8 players in and all with hefty fees.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I have a basic belief that if they are good enough to get us there, then they deserve the chance to keep us there. There are very few players in the entire squad that I don't think deserve to come with us.

I'd like to see no more than a couple of new faces (plus any required replacements for anyone leaving or poached).

A significant part of the difference between this year and the previous few seasons when we have been close is the togetherness of the team. I would hate for that invaluable asset to be lost because CH brought in a prima donna who upset the balance.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am sure we will be scouring the Euro market looking for the next Berbatov Modric. or Vydra taking into account that Gus wanted to sign Van Dijk but bulked at the extra £500k and look at his ratings value now.

We offered about the same transfer fee as Celtic, but they paid him much higher wages which would have well exceded our budget, but if he does sell in the summer for 40 plus million may bring some discomfort to Bloom.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Main thing for me is to keep this squad together. You don't have to spend a fortune to get god players. If this squad was kept together I'd say 3/4 tops is all we would want. Quality of quantity and players that fit into the current teams work ethic.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
We offered about the same transfer fee as Celtic, but they paid him much higher wages which would have well exceded our budget, but if he does sell in the summer for 40 plus million may bring some discomfort to Bloom.

I doubt he will, if he had signed, we still may not have gone up. His value has risen because of the league he is in. Swings and roundabouts for Bloom I guess, maybe the transfer from Celtic to Southampton may have raised his eyebrows but I doubt his next move will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here