Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Left Back for Next Season

Crennis

Apr 13, 2011
Pompey (send help!)
With Gaetan out of contract here, and Poco out at West Brom; what direction do you think we'll go in?

I can see Bong being released and Poco offered a contract, albeit maybe with another first choice coming in.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would be very suprised if Bong did not get offered a new deal, wether he will be 1st choice left back is another matter.

I would like George Friend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't understand this need for the club to make it as hard as possible to stay in the Premier League.

It currently has the ear of 2 left backs who are both plenty good enough for the team going forward.
Why would anyone want to make the job harder?

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I think Bong has played pretty well since he came back from injury, and if I'm not mistaken Bong was always back straight-away into the starting line-up when he was fit?

I think personally, they will both be BHA players at the start of the 2017/18 season.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I think we will need RB,LB, experienced CB, experienced CM, 1winger, 2 strikers. Hopefully keep most of the squad together. Bong could be ok as back up but need someone who can cross, with the pace of the prem, Bruno is just too old(he will always be a legend though), maybe back up RB.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think we will need RB,LB, experienced CB, experienced CM, 1winger, 2 strikers. Hopefully keep most of the squad together. Bong could be ok as back up but need someone who can cross, with the pace of the prem, Bruno is just too old(he will always be a legend though), maybe back up RB.
We've only recently given Bruno a contract. He's in the squad next year for sure.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Clichy won't do another year at City surely and has more than ample PL experience.

But I'd stick with the Poc/Bong duo without a doubt.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Scott Malone from Fulham, or Ryan Sessegnon if we're lucky.

Andy Robertson would be a quality signing as well, Clichy would be out of the question. Kieran Tierney from Celtic is a very good young player as well.

I would take Pocognoli on a free, but Bong isn't good enough for the Premier League. He's been excellent for us for two years, and he'll have his choice of Championship clubs to join.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I am more than happy with Dunk, Duffy and Uwe.
But we will need PL quality Left and Right backs.
It's a massive step up against some of the best players around, we all saw the difference Wayne Bridge made and he was towards the end of his career.
Our current L&R backs will be torn a new one, we have good back ups but we need experience.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
I am more than happy with Dunk, Duffy and Uwe.
But we will need PL quality Left and Right backs.
It's a massive step up against some of the best players around, we all saw the difference Wayne Bridge made and he was towards the end of his career.
Our current L&R backs will be torn a new one, we have good back ups but we need experience.

Poco is capable of holding his own in the Prem, and Rosenior has bucketloads of Prem experience

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Worth mentioning Bong has only played 39 games in 2 seasons for us.... injury prone ?......

Be happy to have him in my squad still, CH is clearly a fan.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Poco is capable of holding his own in the Prem, and Rosenior has bucketloads of Prem experience

Yes, I thought about Liam after I posted and Poco seems very capable, but I would hate to find out they are not after the first few matches.
Anyway, Chris knows what is needed as an international and top division defender, if he thinks they are good enough then that's fine by me.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
We've only recently given Bruno a contract. He's in the squad next year for sure.
In the squad definitely, but probably not in the starting 11. Much as I love the man, I'm not sure he'd be able to keep up with PL wingers.
Clichy won't do another year at City surely and has more than ample PL experience.

But I'd stick with the Poc/Bong duo without a doubt.
Clichy would be a great one but would he make enough of a difference to justify presumably huge wages and, sadly, he's likely to have a number of offers (maybe a crack at the French title?).

I'd be happy with Poc for year in lieu of anyone else turning up.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
I would be very suprised if Bong did not get offered a new deal, wether he will be 1st choice left back is another matter.

I would like George Friend.

For your amusement:

wether means a castrated ram.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sundays papers were saying that Standard Liege are hoping to take Pocognoli back in the summer. I think that Bong would be good cover as indeed would Rosenior but not sure about who would be first choice at left or right back. Logically right back should be Bruno but is his age going to tell on him. As a left back what about Kieran Gibbs who doesnt make the Arsenal team now?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here