Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Left Back for Next Season

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Our first bit of business should be to sign up Poc on a pemanent contract. It's a no brainer, like Sidwell a year ago. I'm happy with Bong and Poc at at left back.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Our first bit of business should be to sign up Poc on a pemanent contract. It's a no brainer, like Sidwell a year ago. I'm happy with Bong and Poc at at left back.
116 appearances for Standard Liege, 30 in the Bundesliga, 16 in the PL.

Why make our summer recruitment harder, sign him up.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
If Hull City go down I would go all out for Andy Robertson.

Beat me to it, I doubt we could afford him as I think he would be expensive. Apparently Burnley had a 10 mill bid turned down in January.

He is a brilliant player and would fit into our style of play perfectly. He can deliver an amazing cross when required.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Does Poc not have a one year extension clause in his current contract, making it unlikely he'll be going anywhere free or even cheap?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've not got a problem with Bong and Poc but with both out of contract we have the opportunity to upgrade and realistic targets for me are either Friend or Robertson(if Hull go down). Both excellent players and should be affordable. I would also love us to go for Trippier as right back (if we could afford him?). I reckon Bruno, Trippier, Rosenior, Robertson/Friend and Bong/Poc would give us real quality and depth in the positions which is vital as 1) we'll be doing plenty of defending next year and 2) our fall backs seem to get injured quite often. Get Tomori or someone similar on loan who can play anywhere along the back and the defense is sorted, IMO.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
With Gaetan out of contract here, and Poco out at West Brom; what direction do you think we'll go in?

I can see Bong being released and Poco offered a contract, albeit maybe with another first choice coming in.

Bong will be offered a new contract l feel sure, and I think we will make a move for Pocognoli to become a permanent signing.

I think both players have done more than enough to be given the chance to perform again in the Premier League. Right back is much more the area that we need strengthening.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Bong will be offered a new contract l feel sure, and I think we will make a move for Pocognoli to become a permanent signing.

I think both players have done more than enough to be given the chance to perform again in the Premier League. Right back is much more the area that we need strengthening.

Really ?.... right back is rock solid for me, Bruno is still a wonderful player and has played for many years in the top flight in Spain, and in Rosenior we have someone who has plenty of actual Premier League experience.
Plus both have deals for next season.

Left back is very open as it stands in terms of quality, experience in the Premier League and being out of contract.

As i have said before I would be tempted to enquire about George Friend at Boro, 29 is a good age, 6ft 2 very good player in my opinion. Think he was injured early this season but now fit, maybe Boro will be open to a reasonable offer if they are relegated.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Anyone mentioning Trippier for right back should think again, playing regularly enough at Spurs and performs so well they almost don't miss Walker when he does. If he went somewhere to be first choice it'll be a team pushing for European football.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Don't worry he will be along soon enough. He will have to check out football rumours first.

Football rumours? More like "I happened to bump into an old friend who's mates with a guy whose brother in law is a top agent and he said..........."

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Kieran Gibbs would be a tremendous signing but I expect there would be better offers for him than us (Liverpool in dire need of a left back). George Friend would be a much more realistic target. A few people have mentioned the Villa left back Jordan Amavi but again I think he would be getting attention from better suitors than BHA.

Both full back positions in my humble opinion need upgrading unfortunately. Glenn Johnson available on a free I understand. Kyle Naughton from Swansea wouldn't be a bad shout either.

Glenn Johnson signed a one-year contract extension for Stoke City yesterday.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I think it's important that some of the players we sign, have already had experience of Premier League football, (Pocognoli at the other Albion of course), so I would agree, it would be good to try to get him in as early as possible.

We need an addition at right back too with Bruno not getting any younger. Ryan Fredericks at Fulham anyone?

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Kieran Gibbs would be a tremendous signing but I expect there would be better offers for him than us (Liverpool in dire need of a left back). George Friend would be a much more realistic target. A few people have mentioned the Villa left back Jordan Amavi but again I think he would be getting attention from better suitors than BHA.

Both full back positions in my humble opinion need upgrading unfortunately. Glenn Johnson available on a free I understand. Kyle Naughton from Swansea wouldn't be a bad shout either.

Gibbs would be a horrendous signing. He's lost his pace and regularly gets found wanting both technically and positionally. Bad full backs are bad full backs no matter what team they're in.

That might sound like a ludicrous statement to make as a recently promoted team but we should avoid 'rejects' from big teams in my opinion and aim for young hungry people like Knockaert who feel they clearly have something to prove.

The last thing we need is to collect a number of overpaid second XI look at me I've already made it having signed for a Prem team and earned £xxxxxxxxxx by the age of 17 losers.

Young, hungry and aspirational.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
We've only recently given Bruno a contract. He's in the squad next year for sure.

Yes but realistically we cannot expect that he would be starting too many games (if any) but he would be terrific as a stand in, but ALSO in some other (non playing) position where the club can utilise his vast experience.

After all, apparently, the guy and his family, love being here in Brighton so I personally hope that he may be here beyond next season !

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Personally I'd attempt to get Tomori on loan/sign him as r/b c/b

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Would be happy for both Bong and Poc fight for the left back place next season. If not any of the below three wouldn't be bad signings:

Benoît Trémoulinas
Emilio Izaguirre
Charlie Taylor

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
Would be happy for both Bong and Poc fight for the left back place next season. If not any of the below three wouldn't be bad signings:

Benoît Trémoulinas
Emilio Izaguirre
Charlie Taylor

Trémoulinas - would absolutely love him here, but it is nigh on impossible to prise him away from Sevilla
Izaguirre - NO. Just NO.
Taylor - OK, I guess? And he's still young

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here