Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens & David Stockdale contracts...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Dale Stephens has been magnificent and has led by example giving 100% at all times (Thank you Dale).
However with three games still to play he has no contract for next season and therefore no future financial security until he signs a contract with a club.
Therefore if he got a nasty long term injury in the next three games he would possibly miss out on the biggest pay day of his career.
I wonder what difference this would make to a players mind-set?

I am positive we would give him a contract if he got injured in the 3 remaining games. No doubt in my mind

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am positive we would give him a contract if he got injured in the 3 remaining games. No doubt in my mind

You are probably correct as I believe that we gave Tommy Elphick a new contract when he got injured and then sold him to Bournemouth when he was coming back but we didnt expect him to come back as well as he did.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
With Stephens and or Stockdale I suspect the issue may well be the signing on fee (and agent's fee) the club is prepared to pay compared with what an interested club is offering given they are not having to pay a transfer fee.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
That's really not a very intimidating list of players we are in danger of losing is it? How nice to have done it without relying ona whole load of loanees who are about to vanish back to their parent clubs. Nor is it a massive list of expiring contracts we need to try and sort out.

For me:
Loans. Tomori and Akpom go back, no real interest in bringing either back unless the Development Squad fancy Tomori as a centre half in time, and Chelsea release him. Looks exposed at full back, I do think centre half is probably where he will carve out a career although I doubt it's in the Premier League to be honest. Pocognoli I do like, and would certainly be interested in knowing what West Brom would want for him.

Keepers. Stockdale is a MUST for me, we need to sit him down, and get that deal done NOW. Ankers is really just a coach who registers as a player for emergencies IMHO - I'm guessing that continues. Maenpaa probably gets released.

After that, it's simple, you try and do a deal to keep the 1st teamers (Bong, Stephens and Sidwell) but let Forren and COG walk.

In order of priority, Stephens, Stockdale, Sidwell, Bong are the players to try and retain. Maybe Bong misses out if we have done a deal to sign Pocognoli in the meantime, but would love to have both with us again next season.
I agree fully, although Ankers won't make the 25 man PL Squad, so would only be available for the cups, and we'd need a better 3rd keeper anyway for the league as Walton will benefit more out on loan.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
That's really not a very intimidating list of players we are in danger of losing is it? How nice to have done it without relying ona whole load of loanees who are about to vanish back to their parent clubs. Nor is it a massive list of expiring contracts we need to try and sort out.

For me:
Loans. Tomori and Akpom go back, no real interest in bringing either back unless the Development Squad fancy Tomori as a centre half in time, and Chelsea release him. Looks exposed at full back, I do think centre half is probably where he will carve out a career although I doubt it's in the Premier League to be honest. Pocognoli I do like, and would certainly be interested in knowing what West Brom would want for him.

Keepers. Stockdale is a MUST for me, we need to sit him down, and get that deal done NOW. Ankers is really just a coach who registers as a player for emergencies IMHO - I'm guessing that continues. Maenpaa probably gets released.

After that, it's simple, you try and do a deal to keep the 1st teamers (Bong, Stephens and Sidwell) but let Forren and COG walk.

In order of priority, Stephens, Stockdale, Sidwell, Bong are the players to try and retain. Maybe Bong misses out if we have done a deal to sign Pocognoli in the meantime, but would love to have both with us again next season.

I'm not sure I agree with you about Tomori. I think that he's been excellent when he's been called upon, and he has never really had an opportunity to have an extended run in the team. I think he's demonstrated vast potential whilst he's been with us, and he'll only improve from here.

My understanding is that Pocognoli's contract with West Brom is due to expire this summer, so we could get him on a free. Again, I think he's been excellent for us in the Championship Do you think Chris would want him for our Premier League campaign?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm not sure I agree with you about Tomori. I think that he's been excellent when he's been called upon, and he has never really had an opportunity to have an extended run in the team. I think he's demonstrated vast potential whilst he's been with us, and he'll only improve from here.

My understanding is that Pocognoli's contract with West Brom is due to expire this summer, so we could get him on a free. Again, I think he's been excellent for us in the Championship Do you think Chris would want him for our Premier League campaign?

Honestly, I like Tomori's potential, maybe it was just when we stuck him in at left back he looked especially exposed to me. But he does have something about him - however he's not ready to be thrust into the Premier league, so it comes down to what the DS guys think of him, and whether he himself is searching for 1st Team football to develop.

That would be great news if Poco is available on a free. Yes, I do think we'd go for him if we could get him cheap, and certainly on a free. We need to bring players in, and it's better to bring in players we have worked with and know fit into the squad. I think CH values that quite highly. Unless we sign someone at RB, then Rosenior will be needed as cover on the right for Bruno, so Bong and Poco as the two options on the left looks pretty good to me.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Dale Stephens has been magnificent and has led by example giving 100% at all times (Thank you Dale).
However with three games still to play he has no contract for next season and therefore no future financial security until he signs a contract with a club.
Therefore if he got a nasty long term injury in the next three games he would possibly miss out on the biggest pay day of his career.
I wonder what difference this would make to a players mind-set?

If his agent has got anything about him he has already got an insurance policy taken out covering such an eventuality.

Far better to play, and be there lifting the Championship trophy, both for his own satisfaction, and it wouldn't hurt his future value, whereas a reputation for sitting out when I may get injured and cost myself some £££ doesn't suggest the committment managers want.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Geev eem more monnay...
Might be out of even Bloom's wallet.

Water-Lily-Pond--Symphony-In-Rose.jpg

There's been a lot of talk and second-guessing about what happened to Glenn Murray's contract in 2011.

Well - we are in precisely the same situation with Stephens now, so there will be a different outcome. Right?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
With the Premier money now I am sure they will get healthy contract offers, if they leave we now have money to replace like for like hopefully. If they want to play regular games and not sit on a plie of cash on some Big Money teams bench - stay and get a relegation clause written in.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
With the Premier money now I am sure they will get healthy contract offers, if they leave we now have money to replace like for like hopefully. If they want to play regular games and not sit on a plie of cash on some Big Money teams bench - stay and get a relegation clause written in.

Spot on

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stockdale talking about next season in this article, Who's bottling it now?'

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/15232288.Albion_keeper_Stockdale___Who_s_bottling_it_now__/

"Don't write us off, we've still got a job to do. Let's make it seven or eight on the spin. We can reach a hundred (points) now. There are boundaries now which will put a lot of smiles on people's faces for a lot of months before we go into the Premier League and a different type of fight."

A fight, realistically to begin with, for survival. Stockdale, 31, knows how tough it is, having made 39 appearances over the course of six seasons in the Premier League with Fulham, culminating in relegation.

"We've got to consolidate and the gaffer's the perfect man to do that," he said. "He's been there and done that, I'll leave it up to him.

"We'll take it game by game and who knows we might be in the Champions League in the next two years? That's a joke by the way! But why not, who said Leicester were going to win (the league)?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Honestly, I like Tomori's potential, maybe it was just when we stuck him in at left back he looked especially exposed to me. But he does have something about him - however he's not ready to be thrust into the Premier league, so it comes down to what the DS guys think of him, and whether he himself is searching for 1st Team football to develop.

That would be great news if Poco is available on a free. Yes, I do think we'd go for him if we could get him cheap, and certainly on a free. We need to bring players in, and it's better to bring in players we have worked with and know fit into the squad. I think CH values that quite highly. Unless we sign someone at RB, then Rosenior will be needed as cover on the right for Bruno, so Bong and Poco as the two options on the left looks pretty good to me.

You won't get Tomori on the cheap and certainly not for free as his development has to be bought up at the very least. Tomori wasn't exposed at left back, if you were to ask me. He was coming into a Promotion chasing side. Probably just nerves and a keenness to do well - That lad is gonna be a star. Hopefully at Brighton but if he is then he will have to be bought and paid for and I am sure we are well aware of that.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Wouldn't be surprised if both go and Newcastle come in again for Knocky

That would be irrelevant. He didn't want to go there in the summer and there is nothing to indicate he has changed his mind. Some players money talks with them but I have a feeling that's the case with AK

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wouldn't be surprised if both go and Newcastle come in again for Knocky

I've no idea why you would think this. Newcastle's problem isn't particularly their wingers, they're not up yet, Knockaert loves it here, wants to play for Brighton, wants to play for Hughton, didn't get a deal done with them this season and has just signed a massive new contract.

Stephens and Stockdale will come down purely to what they want compared to what we want to offer. While both are crucial members of the current spine we may not want to offer long deals on Premier League wages or someone else may offer them more.

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Don't ask me how I know, but Stocko will sign. So i've been told :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here