Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His ego would never permit him to admit it of course, but I think Gus's one bitter regret in football management, was throwing his toys out of the pram, and losing his job at the Albion.

Nah, we were ALWAYS a stepping stone and he never turned down an opportunity to suggest his future lay elsewhere. The touting pissed me off...big time. He was always looking for something bigger and better than staying as BHA manager

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't get why there is so much hate for Gus. He laid the foundation for where this club is now. Completely turned it around on the playing side and was a major contributor to the success we have now.

Yes it ended badly and I suspect all parties regret the way that happened in hindsight but it doesn't take away what he achieved. Until this season the final Gus season was my most enjoyable watching the seagulls in 40 years despite the very nasty, still try to forget it, last match.

Disagree with that. He let Bloom down badly when he thought he was in the driving seat and virtually held him to ransom. There are loads of managers who have promoted teams from league 1 so I don't think what we have now has any bearing on what Gus did.

I think what Oscar did holding the fort after Gus went was far more impressive with a weaker squad and no spend by the club.

IMO anyway.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If the board had put the extra needed for the signing of his target Van Dijk , we may have been promoted a few years earlier, and also holding on to a diamond to sell to the highest bidder.

Oct 25, 2003
If the board had put the extra needed for the signing of his target Van Dijk , we may have been promoted a few years earlier, and also holding on to a diamond to sell to the highest bidder.

I think that's filling in a few gaps a bit. It can't be denied that Van Dijk is a great defender but our weakness was hardly at centre back where Greer and Upson were a perfectly fine partnership at the time. Our reason for not going up that season was really a lack of goals and failure to finish off teams in the first half of the season pre-Ulloa- something that a certain striker who recently re-joined the club would have helped out with had Poyet not been uninterested in him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What will be the first event in AMEX history that doesn't result in a trite thread about the currently 3 times removed former manager Gus Poyet?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think that's filling in a few gaps a bit. It can't be denied that Van Dijk is a great defender but our weakness was hardly at centre back where Greer and Upson were a perfectly fine partnership at the time. Our reason for not going up that season was really a lack of goals and failure to finish off teams in the first half of the season pre-Ulloa- something that a certain striker who recently re-joined the club would have helped out with had Poyet not been uninterested in him.
That's all very true, we had solid experienced defenders. Van Dijk would have offered a bit more in terms of creativity and set pieces.

The whole CMS v Murray issue was his biggest mistake though. I liked the way he wanted an English 3rd tier team to play in a Barcelona style of play, and almost succeeded in taking the club to the promised land.

He didn't have a plan B if A was not working though, and that still seems to be the problem now in his roles since leaving here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Disagree with that. He let Bloom down badly when he thought he was in the driving seat and virtually held him to ransom. {b}There are loads of managers who have promoted teams from league 1 so I don't think what we have now has any bearing on what Gus did.[/B]

I think what Oscar did holding the fort after Gus went was far more impressive with a weaker squad and no spend by the club.

IMO anyway.

Yes, many managers have got teams promoted from League 1, but name me another one who took over a team in the bottom three (as we were when Slade was sacked) and 18 months later got us promoted after a record number of weeks at number 1, with a record number of points.
As I said, he brought in Bruno and Calde, and I think that has a great bearing on where we are now. We needed to be in the Championship when we moved to the Amex.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When Albion wanted Van Dijk. other clubs did too. People go on about it as if he was certainty to join us if only TB gifted even more money to the cause. Also ... that we would have been promoted.

Lots of ifs, maybes and GP propaganda.

As someone else has touched on, until CH came along, a lack of goals scored was our Achilles heel in the Amex years.

All sorted now though.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yes, many managers have got teams promoted from League 1, but name me another one who took over a team in the bottom three (as we were when Slade was sacked) and 18 months later got us promoted after a record number of weeks at number 1, with a record number of points.
As I said, he brought in Bruno and Calde, and I think that has a great bearing on where we are now. We needed to be in the Championship when we moved to the Amex.

Yes it was very handy being promoted to the Championship when we moved into the Amex. That was the fairytayle at the time. However had we not been promoted then it wouldn't have been a defining moment in our history. If the Poyet days are special to you then fair enough, I don't want to spoil it, but what happened with the fallout certainly put us back a couple of seasons. So whatever good he did was balanced out with his ego.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes it was very handy being promoted to the Championship when we moved into the Amex. That was the fairytayle at the time. However had we not been promoted then it wouldn't have been a defining moment in our history. If the Poyet days are special to you then fair enough, I don't want to spoil it, but what happened with the fallout certainly put us back a couple of seasons. So whatever good he did was balanced out with his ego.

Oscar got us into the playoffs the very next season, so it didn't put us back. Your opinion is very biased, and I'm trying to redress the balance.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
It was Gus that hit the ceiling that season and not the club,as to date his career has not blossomed i think as he would have liked. Having said that he was a great manager for us,and laid the foundations to what we are now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nob head and a bloke I hope disappears from football forever :)

:thumbsup:

Excellent coach and manager in his first eighteen months here.

Followed by mistakes, barely veiled politics through the media on budgets etc, more than interested in other jobs, player favourites and non-favourites, arrogance.

The club and fans are bigger than his ego.

Caught out at Sunderland - shite with shite buys.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Oscar got us into the playoffs the very next season, so it didn't put us back. Your opinion is very biased, and I'm trying to redress the balance.

Oscar was a safety net and a shrewd move by Bloom. He did brilliantly with a weak squad even when we sold one of two fit strikers in January. His own words were that we were the only club that got weaker in that window. He held a team together that still needed a rebuild and it took until Hughton to do the job.

If it was someone else who was more pragmatic than Poyet, getting to the playoffs could have been something to build from, but because he was acting juvenile and playing games with Bloom in March, he lost his trust at a key part of the season, and after Bloom splashed out on Ulloa.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Technically it was Matthew Upson, although he had of course been here on loan the previous season. Ignoring him (and Adam Chicksen), it was actually ........ Kemy Agustien (who put pen to paper a week before Andrews arrived).

I'd wiped from my memory how dreadful some of our recruitment was under Burke - although wasn't he also responsible for finding Rohan Ince, Christian Walton and Liam Bridcutt?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I loved having Gus as our manager, it was a great time to be a fan. As someone else said he changed the culture of the club for the better, raised the profile and games like Peterborough, Charlton and Southampton away will never be forgotten.

It was however always going to end in tears. I remember someone on here at the time had a signature that said when Gus goes it will be with a dramatic flounce and they weren't wrong.

I will always be grateful for the memories he gave me and wish him, Tarricco and Charlie all the best.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He probably would have got us up, but I always suspected we would be shot to bits in the Premier League under him.

.. you can pass that around all you like.

Away at Fulham it reminded me how to beat a team like us.

Great times though and Gus is part of the story, but we've got a better manager now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here