Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus

To be fair, GP probably has his hands full at the moment.

'Gustavo Poyet pinpointed his team's defence as the reason for Shanghai Shenhua's struggles as their slide down the Chinese Super League standings continued.'

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/chinese-sup...with-shanghai-shenhuas-defensive-shortcomings

And this despite signing Carlos Tevez in the Chinese close season.for a deal worth £615,000 a week.

Tevez is currently injured, but is getting serious flak for spending his enforced time off at... Disneyland!

'Carlos Tevez infuriates fans by missing Shanghai Shenhua match… to go to Disneyland'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/carlos-tevez-infuriates-fans-missing-10246680

This is going to end well then, same as always.

Next stop for the Gus Bus Global Tour is the US of A then :lolol:

Gus Poyet - he's all-roiyet! :thumbsup:

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
good and bad things happen in a relationship time to move on from focusing on the bad bits. Same with Bridcutt.

It's how those relationships end that influence people's perspectives. I don't imagine anyone on here has anything but warm feelings towards Oscar Garcia or Leo Ulloa. They both left for "better things", but did so with dignity and grace.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And let's not forget Oscar left for the same reasons as Gus.

That's a completely new one on me. Genuinely interested, can you elaborate as I've never quite understood the circumstances of Oscar's resignation. I'm in agreement with you though on the Nicky Forster humiliation assuming you're referring to the incident where he was kicked off the team bus after arguing about not getting a new contract even though El-Abd had just got one.

For me, the thing that stuck in my craw with Gus when he was here was the way he constantly talked about his own ambitions away from Brighton.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He did say something to the Argus the other week I think.

Either way, he was kind of right wasn't he? The playing budget has increased from the one had a number of years ago to get promoted.

I don't know, when he started moaning about money was just after we bought Ulloa. Poyet would have done a large budget with special ones in one go, where as Hughton has been shrewd with getting bang for his buck. Bong and Rosenior I think were free to start with and Hughton's spend has been spread out over 2.5 seasons. Jamie Murphy was a bargain, Skalak I'm sure didn't break the bank, Uwe wasn't an expense either, and Poc was loan and will be free. Even buying Knockaert, Duffy and Murray were spead out nicely over three windows.

The ceiling is set by the manager, because the team we have on paper is of a much higher value than the actual spend. The better the manager deals the more money he has. Simple really.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Loved our time under Poyet .That won't ever change. Great manager for us at the right time.

That's a completely new one on me. Genuinely interested, can you elaborate as I've never quite understood the circumstances of Oscar's resignation. I'm in agreement with you though on the Nicky Forster humiliation assuming you're referring to the incident where he was kicked off the team bus after arguing about not getting a new contract even though El-Abd had just got one.

For me, the thing that stuck in my craw with Gus when he was here was the way he constantly talked about his own ambitions away from Brighton.

Oscar's issues with not getting any of the players he wanted got blanket coverage on here and in the Argus in the wake of his resignation, have a little search

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Either way, he was kind of right wasn't he? The playing budget has increased from the one had a number of years ago to get promoted.
No of course he wasn't. We've got about the 9th biggest budget in the league at the moment, we might have had even more relatively when he was here. And we were nearly promoted with him managing.

And if he'd kept Murray, we probably would have been promoted.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Had we signed Ulloa in the summer before 2012/13 we probably would've got the 4 extra points we needed to get promoted automatically.
That said had we kept Murray in 2011/12 we probably would've got into the playoffs.
But none of this matters now because we finally got there.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oscar's issues with not getting any of the players he wanted got blanket coverage on here and in the Argus in the wake of his resignation, have a little search

Indeed. There was Oscar Garcia's list of players, and Burke's list of players.

The first signing under OG was....Keith Andrews from Bolton.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The first signing under OG was....Keith Andrews from Bolton.

Technically it was Matthew Upson, although he had of course been here on loan the previous season. Ignoring him (and Adam Chicksen), it was actually ........ Kemy Agustien (who put pen to paper a week before Andrews arrived).

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
A very bitter end to the Poyet reign thanks to his antics in the closing months of that final season BUT he totally transformed the playing side of the club before that. The team played some of the best football it's ever produced in the final year at Withdean and you only had to see a training session or two to realise it was a whole new level from what had gone before. Snappy, passing football played with huge confidence and a real buzz around the place. It's a shame things didn't happen quickly enough to satisfy his ego in the Championship, but I think he still deserves great credit.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Indeed. From the moment he arrived he always implied (usually indirectly but the implication was there), that he saw us as a stepping stone, a 'starter' club that he would take as far as he could before inevitably moving on up to a bigger outfit. Now I'm sure that all the professionals at BHA, from the CEO down, have similar dreams that their exploits here will put them in the frame for better jobs and/or bigger clubs - but they don't go on about it every five minutes.

Having said that I agree with Thunderbolt and others: he was brilliant for us at the time and it was great while it lasted. He's an important part of our recent history, but it's in the past now and I bear him no ill will.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't get why there is so much hate for Gus. He laid the foundation for where this club is now. Completely turned it around on the playing side and was a major contributor to the success we have now.

Yes it ended badly and I suspect all parties regret the way that happened in hindsight but it doesn't take away what he achieved. Until this season the final Gus season was my most enjoyable watching the seagulls in 40 years despite the very nasty, still try to forget it, last match.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nob head and a bloke I hope disappears from football forever :)

:thumbsup:

Excellent coach and manager in his first eighteen months here.

Followed by mistakes, barely veiled politics through the media on budgets etc, more than interested in other jobs, player favourites and non-favourites, arrogance.

The club and fans are bigger than his ego.

Caught out at Sunderland - shite with shite buys.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
:thumbsup:

Excellent coach and manager in his first eighteen months here.

Followed by mistakes, barely veiled politics through the media on budgets etc, more than interested in other jobs, player favourites and non-favourites, arrogance.

The club and fans are bigger than his ego.

Caught out at Sunderland - shite with shite buys.

He kept them up. He was sacked the following season, but wasn't in the relegation zone at the time.

We should also remember that he brought Bruno and Calde to the club.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I've forgotten about Gus. Should have departed a legend. Instead he blew it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here