Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Havent seen it anywhere, but has he congratulated us on pogoing through his imaginary ceiling into the Premier League ???

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Havent seen it anywhere, but has he congratulated us on pogoing through his imaginary ceiling into the Premier League ???

He did say something to the Argus the other week I think.

Either way, he was kind of right wasn't he? The playing budget has increased from the one had a number of years ago to get promoted.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Either way, he was kind of right wasn't he? The playing budget has increased from the one had a number of years ago to get promoted.

Hasn't exactly gone up by that much. He left 4 years ago after one shot at the play-offs. I suspect his ceiling was more like the spending sprees at Forest or even QPR!!!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Where does it say "we'd be prem champions now if they'd given me everything I wanted and hadn't sacked me live on TV. Oh and by the way I'm a fantastic manager"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hasn't exactly gone up by that much. He left 4 years ago after one shot at the play-offs. I suspect his ceiling was more like the spending sprees at Forest or even QPR!!!

Has it not? I thought it had gone up quite considerably. Maybe El Pres can confirm.

To be fair we were still recovering from Ken Browns poor work when we moved from Withdean and obviously Paul Barber was brought in to steady the ship financially and get the operating side under control. Who knows what happened really, we have had 3 managers since Poyet so maybe we should all just move on?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And the interview he gave, also suggested he still has a soft spot for us as a club despite what happened.

Well, bearing in mind that his managerial career hasn't exactly bloomed and flourished since he left us, the time he spent with Albion was probably as good as it gets.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Has it not? I thought it had gone up quite considerably. Maybe El Pres can confirm.

To be fair we were still recovering from Ken Browns poor work when we moved from Withdean and obviously Paul Barber was brought in to steady the ship financially and get the operating side under control. Who knows what happened really, we have had 3 managers since Poyet so maybe we should all just move on?

There are some on Nsc who still want to stick the knife in. He did well for us, and it went wrong in the end, but that shouldn't take away from what he did achieve.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Yeah he was. He was sending a message that our planned spending wasn't going to be enough, as we saw the following couple of seasons. Ill timed message, and his relationship with TB was already beyond breaking point, but lets not re-write history here, we were punching above our weight and couldn't believe Gus had taken us as high as he had. To stay there, and push on we needed to spend more, and we weren't about to do so. He knew so, and was accurately predicting what was coming for the foreseeable.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It may have ended badly but he played a vital role in getting us to where we are now.

He took us out of League One and very quickly established us as a major force in the Championship.

For that I will always be grateful and I wish him nothing but the best.

And let's not forget Oscar left for the same reasons as Gus.

The board did decide to spend more when Chris came in because quite rightly fans wanted the manager to be given a chance to compete against the parachute payment teams and it all worked out because Chris outperformed because of the great manager he is.

I personally never warmed to Gus the moment he humiliated Nicky Forster but neither do I think the fantastic passing football he put in front of us should be erased from our memory banks either.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
We owe Gus a lot but I think the football under Hughton, who many thought was going to be negative, turned out to be far more exciting than Gus ' s tippy tippy in his own half. Reading played a similar game against us and we destroyed them with direct, fast effective counter attacks. Tippy tippy is old news now.....Hughton is a much better manager IMHO.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Reading played a similar game against us and we destroyed them with direct, fast effective counter attacks. IMHO.
And this is what we'll need to compete in the Premier League!
Thanks Gus for the memories "We're ****ing Brilliant"
Just wish he had more belief in the way we we're trying to achieve it.
He's not really been that successful since he left us has he? But I bet his bank balance has shot up though!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To be fair, GP probably has his hands full at the moment.

'Gustavo Poyet pinpointed his team's defence as the reason for Shanghai Shenhua's struggles as their slide down the Chinese Super League standings continued.'

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/chinese-sup...with-shanghai-shenhuas-defensive-shortcomings

And this despite signing Carlos Tevez in the Chinese close season.for a deal worth £615,000 a week.

Tevez is currently injured, but is getting serious flak for spending his enforced time off at... Disneyland!

'Carlos Tevez infuriates fans by missing Shanghai Shenhua match… to go to Disneyland'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/carlos-tevez-infuriates-fans-missing-10246680

This is going to end well then, same as always.

Next stop for the Gus Bus Global Tour is the US of A then :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here