Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Talksport

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you can stomach them, Durham and Gough having an interesting debate. Durham thinks Newcastle should be 'embarrassed' that they've been beaten to promotion by us...................and that Hughton is maybe a better manager than the FSW. Gough arguing we were better prepared after last season.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Not able to listen but I think in some respects if they come 2nd it is something of a failure for them. For us promotion is an achievement. They were expecting to walk this league.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
They were having a similar debate last week. While we have definitely been underestimated in certain circles, I think he is correct - with a Champions League winning manager, the squad that they have and the money they have laid out they should have had it sewn up ages ago.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
If your looking at squads on paper they have the "bigger" names and spent a fortune (the did recoup a lot as well), but we have a better type of player in my opinion. When CH talks about about this even our most skilful players like AK literally put their bodies on the line on the pitch. That's why we are 7 points clear

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They were having a similar debate last week. While we have definitely been underestimated in certain circles, I think he is correct - with a Champions League winning manager, the squad that they have and the money they have laid out they should have had it sewn up ages ago.

To be fair they have recouped some £30 million on transfer fees since relegation.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Embarrassed is probably a bit much but they were made favourites in pre-season for a reason.

If they somehow balls it up and miss automatic (or, heaven forbid, promotion) then I think embarrassing might be about right

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
No matter how much money's available, it's still a bl00dy tough act turning a relegated team into championship contenders - as Norwich and Villa have found out this year (adding to a pretty big club of ex-PL Championship fixtures - Birmingham, Leeds, Fulham, Derby, Cardiff, Blackburn, etc)

I don't buy the "they should have walked this league" argument - it's totally different from the Prem, a lot more physical and the games come thicker and faster. Add Rotherham or Burton on a Tuesday night, and see then how the Premier League egos stay focused.

If Benitez takes them back up, he'll have done his job. Shame Huddersfield have imploded in many ways - I wouldn't have fancied Newcastle's chances in the play offs!

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
To be fair they have recouped some £30 million on transfer fees since relegation.

Fair point well made. Nevertheless they should have walked this league in my opinion. Just goes to show how tough The Championship is and highlights how huge our own achievement truly is.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Didn't Newcastle make a profit on player sales this season?

:)

Villa and Norwich though :lolol:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
If Newcastle not winning the league is to be considered a failure what on earth can you make of villa this season considering what they've spent and a proven championship manager

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A lot of Geordie fans put their relative poor performance down to Ashley not backing Benitez, in January.

They wanted him to buy even more players.I do think 'outsiders' don't realise what a very tough league this is, and every team wanted Newcastle, scalp.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Every other teams cup final will be their excuse if they blow it. They took six points off the only other team who can win it, so they will definitely have fecked up.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
with a Champions League winning manager, the squad that they have and the money they have laid out they should have had it sewn up ages ago.

Absolutely. But Just like Greece 2004 and Wales 2016 we have again shown the sum of the whole is more important than the individual parts, our band of brothers team spirit, a whole club united is worth far more than allegedly better, more expensive players and a champions league winning manager.
The bigger club, with bigger fan base, more expensive squad and more decorated manager thought that would entitle them the title. Harry Potter and the FSW will likely have to settle for runners up. Over 46 games not 2 , we will prove both on and off the field. We've a better TEAM.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
How much did their squad cost, how much did ours cost?
I'm guessing about 50m v 10m. In that sense it's embarrassing for them.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
How much did their squad cost, how much did ours cost?
I'm guessing about 50m v 10m. In that sense it's embarrassing for them.

Ours cost a lot more than 10m

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you can stomach them, Durham and Gough having an interesting debate. Durham thinks Newcastle should be 'embarrassed' that they've been beaten to promotion by us...................and that Hughton is maybe a better manager than the FSW. Gough arguing we were better prepared after last season.

The daily wind up to get mugs texting and ringing in.

Mackems, Smoggie, Toffees and ManUre fans would fall for this one, agreeing with Durham and boring tyke Gough.

Arsenal's win last night they weren't today's victim.

Tomorrow it will be something controversial about Craig Shakespeare.

The format - 9 minutes of inane opinions, 1 minute of travel noise and 5 minutes of we-buy-any-van/building tool ads. Recycled very 15 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here