Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Championship Next Season

Seagull Mags

Aug 18, 2016
Not that it concerns us anymore :)....But I think it could be one of closest Championship seasons on record.

Villa, Norwich and Derby are bound to improve on this seasons mediocre performance, then you have the 3 teams coming down from the premiership with parachute payments and then there are some big clubs who have been promoted who will have momentum (Sheff Utd / Bolton). Not to metion the 3 teams who miss out on the play offs who will want to give it another go next season.

It is often said every year 'this is the hardest Championship' but I genuinely believe we couldn't have picked a better time to get promoted not only due to FFP but the competition will be much harder next season!

UTA:bhasign:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Not that it concerns us anymore :)....But I think it could be one of closest Championship seasons on record.

Villa, Norwich and Derby are bound to improve on this seasons mediocre performance, then you have the 3 teams coming down from the premiership with parachute payments and then there are some big clubs who have been promoted who will have momentum (Sheff Utd / Bolton). Not to metion the 3 teams who miss out on the play offs who will want to give it another go next season.

It is often said every year 'this is the hardest Championship' but I genuinely believe we couldn't have picked a better time to get promoted not only due to FFP but the competition will be much harder next season!

Lots of truth in this. CH has consistently said that the only thing we could expect to do this year or any year was "to compete at the top end".

To actually get out of the league is always incredibly tough and next year does look like it could be particularly hard with some very heavily resourced clubs inevitably missing out again.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
We said that about this season and look at Derby, Norwich, Villa etc...

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Villa and Norwich will still be on PP.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And Sheffield Utd are going to be no mugs. I can't see them in the top 6 at the first time of asking, but that would be two tricky games.

The three down from the PL will have record parachute money.

Forest a billionaire new joint owner.

Phew, out in the nick of time.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Aston Villa - Will likely have comfortably the best squad in the 2nd tier and a manager with experience of the league.
Norwich - will have a strong side, will be under huge pressure to get back to the Premier League trough asap so may spend to achieve that.
4 from Huddersfield/Reading/Sheff Wed/Leeds/Fulham. 4 good sides that even if they fail to keep their "star" they've suifficient depth to still target a top spot.
Hull/Swansea Hull are an experienced 2nd tier side and should they keep a hold of the majority of their squad and their manager I'd anticipate they'll be among the favourites to win the league.
Swansea are an unknown, they might be able to keep a hold of the likes of Sigurdsson who will have a field day in the Championship, if not they'll be able to sell some big names for big money, and the manager might be great, or he might be shite.
Middlesbrough - Like Hull they're experienced in this division, they bought very badly in January and I'd expect a lot of the flops to leave. They'd still be aiming for Play Offs.
Sunderland

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We say this EVERY season and there are always big teams who fall flat in their faces and an 'Ickle team or two who surprise. Next year will be no different but thank **** we have eventually got out, even if we are back soon with our riches.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We say this EVERY season and there are always big teams who fall flat in their faces and an 'Ickle team or two who surprise. Next year will be no different but thank **** we have eventually got out, even if we are back soon with our riches.
Probably wrong, as history strongly suggests otherwise, but I think there is a good case for next year being quite different to this one where we have only really been up against one club with a decent act together over the whole season - and even they have been much less consistent than expected.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Aston Villa - Will likely have comfortably the best squad in the 2nd tier and a manager with experience of the league.
Norwich - will have a strong side, will be under huge pressure to get back to the Premier League trough asap so may spend to achieve that.
4 from Huddersfield/Reading/Sheff Wed/Leeds/Fulham. 4 good sides that even if they fail to keep their "star" they've suifficient depth to still target a top spot.
Hull/Swansea Hull are an experienced 2nd tier side and should they keep a hold of the majority of their squad and their manager I'd anticipate they'll be among the favourites to win the league.
Swansea are an unknown, they might be able to keep a hold of the likes of Sigurdsson who will have a field day in the Championship, if not they'll be able to sell some big names for big money, and the manager might be great, or he might be shite.
Middlesbrough - Like Hull they're experienced in this division, they bought very badly in January and I'd expect a lot of the flops to leave. They'd still be aiming for Play Offs.
Sunderland

Add Wolves and Cardiff to the list: they've both had decent second halves of the season, both boards have promised their managers plenty of investment and Warnock, in particular, knows how to get promoted from this league

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
People say this every year and every year at least a couple of the bookies favourites go into complete meltdown.

I can't see Villa or Norwich becoming good overnight, Huddersfield are going to lose their best players, Leeds are so badly managed they could fall apart at any moment. Of the teams coming down Sunderland have been rubbish for the last couple of years, them and Middlesbrough will have a big rebuilding job.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
People say this every year and every year at least a couple of the bookies favourites go into complete meltdown.

I can't see Villa or Norwich becoming good overnight, Huddersfield are going to lose their best players, Leeds are so badly managed they could fall apart at any moment. Of the teams coming down Sunderland have been rubbish for the last couple of years, them and Middlesbrough will have a big rebuilding job.

Sunderland are in a horrible state and it's hard not to take a lot of pleasure from that. Best players will go for buttons, squad players will go for nothing (contract and loan deals ending), no money to buy the kind of quality they'd need to assure them of top spots, a disenfranchised fanbase, a dejected manager and a wantaway owner.

Poor lambs.

:laugh:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I genuinely think next season will be the toughest yet, those three clubs are going to be the first wave of beneficiaries from the new TV rights deal. Coupled with two PP clubs still in it, a decent new entrant to the league and of course the ever-present Championship stalwarts it's going to be a nightmare.

Obviously the year after is likely to be worse as another three super PP clubs will arrive (hopefully not us!)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here