Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£4-5 million to be spent of the stadium...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Barber listed other items this morning on BBC Sussex - that are also included in the £5m - £1m on HD floodlights; extending the facilities for the written press (and their seating?) and completion of the digital advertising boards. I believe someone else mentioned before (Barber at a forum) that there was a requirement for additional facilities outside the ground under premier rules (toilets?)

they could do with sorting out the toilets in WSU and having a lot more washbasins and hot air dryers in a more logical position

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Surely that's just good business planning. A few years ago the stadium was built to PL spec, since then they may have introduced some additional requirements and PB, as a good CEO, has said OK, we'll do that when we need to rather than increasing the risk to FFP when they weren't required.

The floodlights weren't PL spec even when it opened. Presumably an easy cost saving that could then be addressed if we ever made it. AND WE BLOODY HAVE. Sorry. Bit over-excited there for a second.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bet all the new lightbulbs will do is offset my ever deteriorating eyesight, and I'll be no better off.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Does seem a bit OTT. We've got a superb, modern, state-of-the-art ground......and now we've got to bring it up to the standard of, for example, Burnley's, Bournemouth's, Watford's, Palace's and Hull's? Feels like there's something wrong here. Maybe there isn't - just saying how it feels to me.
How many millions will, say, Wednesday or Leeds have to shell out on their old grounds if they go up?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Don't forget the different footballs used in the PL, goal line technology, new 4th official board and the list goes on

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I am sure he also mentioned an additional restaurant..........guessing that is going where seven stars is!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

woody12a

Nov 9, 2006
The 7 Stars bar is going to be converted into the Players Lounge next season ...... source, Paul Rogers

Jan 10, 2014
Does seem a bit OTT. We've got a superb, modern, state-of-the-art ground......and now we've got to bring it up to the standard of, for example, Burnley's, Bournemouth's, Watford's, Palace's and Hull's? Feels like there's something wrong here. Maybe there isn't - just saying how it feels to me.
How many millions will, say, Wednesday or Leeds have to shell out on their old grounds if they go up?

It's got nothing to do with the aesthetics of the stadium or how new it is. One of the reasons clubs get paid so much money in this league is because the world's broadcasters and media turn up on match day, and not just the Argus and Channel 5.

We had to hard wire the whole stadium to the tune of £900,000 instead of the broadcasters having to lay cables every home game.

Then there's somewhere for the 3D cameras, hawk-eye for the referee, new lighting everywhere and other such fancy stuff you need in the Money League.

It's not about whether you have enough leg room, what material the seats are made out of, if you have bed sheet sized handkerchiefs in the changing rooms for Ibrahimovic or whether or not you sell blinis with sour cream and caviar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The blue bit of the roof looks a bit faded these days. Wonder if they'll sort this out as well.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
The 7 Stars bar is going to be converted into the Players Lounge next season ...... source, Paul Rogers

Not surprised, I had a drink in there yesterday before the match and was surprised how quiet it was. It's not fit for purpose. Too small as a bar for everyone to enjoy and too pricey otherwise. It was nice to drink out of a glass though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's got nothing to do with the aesthetics of the stadium or how new it is. One of the reasons clubs get paid so much money in this league is because the world's broadcasters and media turn up on match day, and not just the Argus and Channel 5.

We had to hard wire the whole stadium to the tune of £900,000 instead of the broadcasters having to lay cables every home game.

Then there's somewhere for the 3D cameras, hawk-eye for the referee, new lighting everywhere and other such fancy stuff you need in the Money League.

It's not about whether you have enough leg room, what material the seats are made out of, if you have bed sheet sized handkerchiefs in the changing rooms for Ibrahimovic or whether or not you sell blinis with sour cream and caviar.

Fair enough - I knew it wasn't about having padded seats and bidets in the bogs - but we do have TV cameras here already, presumably Sky's, because our goals appear on Sky long before Channel 5 gets to show the highlights in its later programme. Goal line technology - OK, probably costs a few bob (!), but £4-5M seems a lot to make a stadium 'suitable' for the PL to deign to allow us to play our home matches there.
Just a symptom of too much money being involved in football these days, I suppose.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
That explains the sound system at the Amex then.Already got state-of-the-art mumbling (BBC copyright.)

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Also need to lose the bog hand dryers where you have to wave your hands in a certain position for them to click on.

Refit with Dyson Airblades all round please.

Also, I want chair handrests with cup holders.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is the floodlight upgrade so we can have a Selhurst-style flashing light show before matches? :jester:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I used to love it when you rocked up to The Goldstone and saw the scaffolding up, knowing it would be on The Big Match next day.

Exactly .

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Perhaps we should do a deal with Boro and buy their floodlights and goal line technology. Not like they are going to need it for a while.

Goal line technology could be sold as 'rarely used, like new' given the amount of chances they've created this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here