Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

D

Deleted member 22389

So true, his job is done, yet still many on here bring him and UKIP in to the debate.......let it go now, concentrate on who will lead this country forward, Labour :lolol:

I miss not having farage around to keep everyone on their toes. He is probably glad for the rest.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Just a thought about the political history of the 'Brighton' area and a review of today's political landscape.

MP's
1950 Sir William Teeling. Conservative.
1969 by election Julian Amery. Conservative.
1992 Sir Dereck Spencer. Conservative.
1997 David Leper. Labour. Holds the seat for 13yrs.
2010 Caroline Lucas. Green Party

What happened during those years?

The university of Brighton was granted official status in 1992.
The UofB increased in size 1994.

Hmmm

By 2003/4 the university had increased in size exponentially.
By 2011 gained international recognition

So Uni students who pay no council tax but have the vote when of age seem to have had a say.
When I was young I was ideologically driven, unaware of political reality that stretches across ages.
The voting in Brighton is warped.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
People don't know what they're ****ing voting for again this time just like last time! We're fed lies day in day out and then told to vote on things that are completely out of our control! Ffs politics is dead !!!!!!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I wonder if Baron Von Thunderclap is standing against Mr Soames again this time around. Might be tempted :)

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
People don't know what they're ****ing voting for again this time just like last time! We're fed lies day in day out and then told to vote on things that are completely out of our control! Ffs politics is dead !!!!!!

For once I agree with you. It is a dreadful situation. We fight and squabble. However I KNOW I want shot of EU interference.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
For once I agree with you. It is a dreadful situation. We fight and squabble. However I KNOW I want shot of EU interference.
I always talk sense![emoji6]

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Perhaps I need to be more concise with you - What is the point of this policy, from a UKIP perspective? You will recall that my argument was that I suspect UKIP's motives for the policy were somewhat different from the academic quoted earlier. It could be that UKIP have taken to concerning themselves with the history of Islam and how that is interwoven with the complex cultures of the middle east, that the wearing of the burka is a statement rather than a real reflection of the teaching of the Quran, probabaly not though.

From Labour we hear about scrapping the brexit bill, free school meals for all, minimum wage of £10 p/h, from the Lib Dems a hypothecated tax for the NHS, even the Tories have the cap on energy prices. UKIP? Ban the burka, ban sharia law, halting the creation of Islamic faith shools. You say bigot, I say seeing the evidence that's staring one in the face.

You evidently consider UKIP's policy proposal for banning the burka to be motivated by prejudice, I am certain UKIP would say otherwise, and undoubtedly their argument coalesce around considerations used by other mainstream European politicians and leaders who have already passed laws banning the burka e.g security and a barrier to integration. Merkel has said plainly that the burka has no place in German society. It would not appear Merkel does not care about nuances in the Koran, she simply wants it banned everywhere it is possible to do so.

The simple fact is that banning it would bring the UK into line with our European peers........a proposition that is ordinarily popular amongst the progressives on this board.

Your response to UKIP is like a Pavlovian dog, it's based on emotions and feeling as oppose to evidence, the evidence is the ban is law in Europe, if it's racist here it's racist there. UKIP may be a political irrelevance to many, however their attitude to the EU was more compatible with the majority of the electorate than the other UK political parties.

This is likely another example.........after all it's seems very popular in Europe.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
That's nice that Theresa May went to a Business Centre in Leeds yesterday but spoke in front of yet another hand picked audience isn't it. Crosby is not letting her anywhere near the general public.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Well use a bit of experience and nous for christ sake, if you listen and even factor in the lies we are inevitably fed you should still be able to come to a reasonable conclusion what each party are 'INCLINED' to stand for and how this might play out if ever they were in power.

Take the claim £350m that might be spent on the NHS, it made sense even if for accuracy the weekly sum needed to be re-calculated lower, but any government could use the saving on the NHS or any other worthy national expense or combination of them, it told a story.

I think most Brexiteers acknowledged this, just getting your knickers in a twist over non commitment to the original claim is for me irrelevant, there remains a real immediate saving, likewise Labour would happily continue to pay the weekly £350m whilst still increasing NHS spending too, its all out there, a bit of spin and smoke and mirrors but we get each parties position on it.

So for me I try to reasonably assess each parties inclination on the things I find important, I suspect most people do and it doesnt disqualifies any voters status (dont know what they're voting for, claptrap), its just you frustrated that actually most people do not share you political view.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You evidently consider UKIP's policy proposal for banning the burka to be motivated by prejudice, I am certain UKIP would say otherwise, and undoubtedly their argument coalesce around considerations used by other mainstream European politicians and leaders who have already passed laws banning the burka e.g security and a barrier to integration. Merkel has said plainly that the burka has no place in German society. It would not appear Merkel does not care about nuances in the Koran, she simply wants it banned everywhere it is possible to do so.

The simple fact is that banning it would bring the UK into line with our European peers........a proposition that is ordinarily popular amongst the progressives on this board.

Your response to UKIP is like a Pavlovian dog, it's based on emotions and feeling as oppose to evidence, the evidence is the ban is law in Europe, if it's racist here it's racist there. UKIP may be a political irrelevance to many, however their attitude to the EU was more compatible with the majority of the electorate than the other UK political parties.

This is likely another example.........after all it's seems very popular in Europe.

Couple of things, I haven't suggest the policy as racist, you've drawn that conclusion. I don't think you're incorrect there though. Additionally, I haven't suggested that UKIP are a political irrelevance, again you're reached that conclusion by yourself. I happen to disagree there as they are, unfortunately, very relevant.

Again, what you've failed to do is articulate what this policy is intended to do, 'because they've done it in Germany' is a bit flimsy.

D

Deleted member 22389

That's nice that Theresa May went to a Business Centre in Leeds yesterday but spoke in front of yet another hand picked audience isn't it. Crosby is not letting her anywhere near the general public.

Same as all of them, Labour are the worst. Sooner this shite is over with and we get Brexit the better.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well use a bit of experience and nous for christ sake, if you listen and even factor in the lies we are inevitably fed you should still be able to come to a reasonable conclusion what each party are 'INCLINED' to stand for and how this might play out if ever they were in power.

Take the claim £350m that might be spent on the NHS, it made sense even if for accuracy the weekly sum needed to be re-calculated lower, but any government could use the saving on the NHS or any other worthy national expense or combination of them, it told a story.

I think most Brexiteers acknowledged this, just getting your knickers in a twist over non commitment to the original claim is for me irrelevant, there remains a real immediate saving, likewise Labour would happily continue to pay the weekly £350m whilst still increasing NHS spending too, its all out there, a bit of spin and smoke and mirrors but we get each parties position on it.

So for me I try to reasonably assess each parties inclination on the things I find important, I suspect most people do and it doesnt disqualifies any voters status (dont know what they're voting for, claptrap), its just you frustrated that actually most people do not share you political view.
You could be a bloody politician with a reply like that!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Just a thought about the political history of the 'Brighton' area and a review of today's political landscape.

MP's
1950 Sir William Teeling. Conservative.
1969 by election Julian Amery. Conservative.
1992 Sir Dereck Spencer. Conservative.
1997 David Leper. Labour. Holds the seat for 13yrs.
2010 Caroline Lucas. Green Party

What happened during those years?

The university of Brighton was granted official status in 1992.
The UofB increased in size 1994.

Hmmm

By 2003/4 the university had increased in size exponentially.
By 2011 gained international recognition

So Uni students who pay no council tax but have the vote when of age seem to have had a say.
When I was young I was ideologically driven, unaware of political reality that stretches across ages.
The voting in Brighton is warped.

The 'students' argument is so tired now as to be boring.

When we (Green Party) conducted an on campus poll a few years back it suggested that we had around 50% of the vote.

During the election itself Caroline had 41% of the overall vote. Full time student population (18 and over) is around 25,000. Over estimating, three quarters reside in Brighton Pavilion (Based on most common ward residences) -17,000. Of this a third will not vote.

Let's call 12,000 as an estimate in Pavilion.

50%=6,000
41%=4,920

Balance is 1180. Spread those amongst the other main parties and they get less than 400 each. Green Party take 39.6% of the vote.

The ignorant assumption is that all students are inherently left wing. They are not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39743129

The UK economy grew by just 0.3% at the start of the year, the slowest growth rate since the first three months of 2016, according to official figures. The Office for National Statistics said that the slower pace in the January-to-March period was due mainly to the service sector, which also grew by 0.3% against 0.8% at the end of 2016.

Tories can't be trusted to run the economy.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

The UK economy grew by just 0.3% at the start of the year, the slowest growth rate since the first three months of 2016, according to official figures. The Office for National Statistics said that the slower pace in the January-to-March period was due mainly to the service sector, which also grew by 0.3% against 0.8% at the end of 2016.

Thanks for the advice .

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Nothing to do with Brexit and everyone pulling back on spending then?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here