Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

how do you reckon that isnt Davis plan? maximum withdraw with minimum economic impact would be obvious aim for brexit. this fixation with "hard brexit" being a target is in the minds of opponents, because they once said they are prepared for that if the EU doesn't play nicely.

Come off it, hard brexit is their objective. May has even said a WTO deal is likely! But look, GDP contracting x per cent will minimally affect the rich, like austerity it will be ordinary wokers who will pay for it when job losses and no wage rises come, along with more privatisation of the NHS. Only a Labour vote can stop that - choose wisely

Remainers wanted another vote on Brexit. They now have one!

And they will split their vote and let hard Brexit win. May knows this and that's why she is cutting and running

Except in real-life, the UK has a centre-right bias. But you knew that already.

Bullshit - we were one of the first countries to set up the welfare state and the NHS. Took a ****ing war mind you bit once the British people decide to do something, they will do it - as Paul Barber found out yesterday while he was applauding all those fans on to the pitch

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Come off it, hard brexit is their objective.

right, so if the EU offered free trade we'd simply refuse that? WTO rule is only likely if the EUinsist there is absolutely no way for any trade deal without deals on major areas like free movement etc. never been an objective of Brexit.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Lib Dem although I wouldn't recognise Fallon if he drank in my local.

I can't vote Labour anymore. Having Dianne Abbott in the frontline is like us signing Tiltman and Billy Painter to lead our Premier League campaign next year. The sooner she and Corbyn go back to irrelevance the better for us all. I can't vote Tory - they only look after their already rich mates but I have absolutely no doubt they will win by a landslide.

The state of Politics at the moment.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Bullshit - we were one of the first countries to set up the welfare state and the NHS. Took a ****ing war mind you bit once the British people decide to do something, they will do it - as Paul Barber found out yesterday while he was applauding all those fans on to the pitch

Calm down. It's clearly not bullshit. I'm referring to the UK electorate in 2017 unlike you who says what it was 72 years ago.

Last election Tory plus UKIP + Ulster Unionists = 50.5% of total vote. Take out the Unionists and you've got 49.5% of the vote split between just 2 parties. If you add Labour + Greens + LD + SNP you get 46.8% of the vote. It's close but suggests that by and large when voting for the main parties there's a bias towards Tory and UKIP.

Now fast forward to ALL of the polls held since the beginning of 2017. The Tory +UKIP vote clearly shows a constant centre-right bias.

nx1jea.jpg

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

Why you chose to shoe-horn a pop at Paul Barber in this thread baffles me though.

right, so if the EU offered free trade we'd simply refuse that? WTO rule is only likely if the EUinsist there is absolutely no way for any trade deal without deals on major areas like free movement etc. never been an objective of Brexit.

But they are not going to offer free trade are they? They will want to politically punish freeloading nations like the UK who think they can get all the benefits of a free trade area without contributing to it. You think that won't happen? Just read what European politicians are saying unflltered by the lies of the Tory press. Yes I know that requires you to do a bit of work rather than just uncritically accept the garbage you are fed, but heigh-ho, try it

Calm down. It's clearly not bullshit. I'm referring to the UK electorate in 2017 unlike you who says what it was 72 years ago.

Last election Tory plus UKIP + Ulster Unionists = 50.5% of total vote. Take out the Unionists and you've got 49.5% of the vote split between just 2 parties. If you add Labour + Greens + LD + SNP you get 46.8% of the vote. It's close but suggests that by and large when voting for the main parties there's a bias towards Tory and UKIP.

Now fast forward to ALL of the polls held since the beginning of 2017. The Tory +UKIP vote clearly shows a constant centre-right bias.

nx1jea.jpg

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

Why you chose to shoe-horn a pop at Paul Barber in this thread baffles me though.

Looking at three months of polling or even 3 years or 30 years doesn't determine the political character of a nation - that is decided by long-term trends on dominating political ideas (the so-called Overton window). The British people remain committed to the core centre left ideas of a welfare state, free education, free healthcare and progressive taxation. For sure Thatcherism and her political heirs have been nibbling away at that consensus for many years but they have still not won that battle and turned the UK into America. Look at those Kippers who still say they think the NHS is great - the Attlee legacy is unbroken

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I ,m so looking forward to the postings from the THREE STUPID MONKEYS.......London Irish, Herr Tubthumper and Ernest. All three of whom, have been more than capable of turning undecided voters away from their choice simply by the arrogant manner in which they post. I was gutted when Herr Tubthumper joined the 'Remainers'. I knew then that all was lost.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
You should sell this data to one of the polling companies . send the money to REMF

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Looking at three months of polling or even 3 years or 30 years doesn't determine the political character of a nation - that is decided by long-term trends on dominating political ideas (the so-called Overton window). The British people remain committed to the core centre left ideas of a welfare state, free education, free healthcare and progressive taxation. For sure Thatcherism and her political heirs have been nibbling away at that consensus for many years but they have still not won that battle and turned the UK into America. Look at those Kippers who still say they think the NHS is great - the Attlee legacy is unbroken

You're wrong. For the last 38 years we've had a centre-right government (I'm including Blair's years in that because you have said here on numerous occasions that he was a Tory in all but name). How people vote DOES determine their political character. It's just plain silly to claim that despite having a centre-right government all those years and all the polls still showing a centre-right advantage, that people don't by-and-large vote for the party that reflects their views.

Another mistake you make is thinking that free education, healthcare etc is the preserve of the left. Way back in 1945 that may have been true but now across the globe, certainly in Europe and excluding the USA, the centre-right also believe in that, that's why they are centre-right rather than hard-right. If it was the preserve of the left and if what you say about people's beliefs in free healthcare etc being as resolute as ever then the left would always win elections and the Tories would never see the inside of No 10.

You're wrong. For the last 38 years we've had a centre-right government (I'm including Blair's years in that because you have said here on numerous occasions that he was a Tory in all but name). How people vote DOES determine their political character. It's just plain silly to claim that despite having a centre-right government all those years and all the polls still showing a centre-right advantage, that people don't by-and-large vote for the party that reflects their views.

Another mistake you make is thinking that free education, healthcare etc is the preserve of the left. Way back in 1945 that may have been true but now across the globe, certainly in Europe and excluding the USA, the centre-right also believe in that, that's why they are centre-right rather than hard-right. If it was the preserve of the left and if what you say about people's beliefs in free healthcare etc being as resolute as ever then the left would always win elections and the Tories would never see the inside of No 10.

Yeh but no but yeh but no but...

Mate pack it in. You've won a few battles but not the war. Even if you win this election you won't have won the war this time either - the post-war settlement was an epochal moment for Britain and it's going to take much more than that

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Can't vote Tory. Can't vote Labour with Corbyn as leader, probably would with Miliband (D). Would never vote UKIP or BNP. Little point voting Green or Lib Dem. Can't not vote.

I'm buggered basically.
You've just described me Goldstone, you're so right, what the f**k.

Hope I'm wrong but all I can see is May, realising the effect that Brexit will have, cynically calling an election ensuring her 5 years in a job rather then suffering a massive reversal in two or three when the reality hits.

As I say I hope I'm wrong but at the very least this election result should bring about the end of this left wing uprising in the Labour Party and the realisation that this country will only ever vote against the Tory for a middle ground political party.

**** sake that utter coward May has ruled out TV debates - against the soooooooooo weak Corbyn

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here