Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was thinking of selected minsters plus their civil servants -quite how you jump to the conclusion that implicit in my statement is that they will win is beyond me -I did not mean any such thing. Do you not think that perhaps Labour have also thought about strategies for Brexit as well - anyone with a chance of government would be stupid not to have given brexit some thought.

*David Davis enters the "Throne Room"*

"You rang ma'am?"
"Indeed Davis. Come here, I have need of you."
"Ah good, are we going to go over the notes for the meeting with Barnier in a couple of days?"
"No, I'm afraid not! One has wonderful news!"
"Wonderful?"
"Wonderful! I can't be bothered dealing with that garlic breathed imbecile so I'm calling an election!"
"An election??"
"YES! It's fantastic isn't it? I've realised that I don't really fancy all this negotiating with actual pressure on me from parliament. So I'm going to make it so parliament is all controlled by me. MEEEEE!"
"And how will you achieve that your majesticness?"
"Well, because Corbyn you imbecile! Everyone hates him. Here's our chance to get rid of Labour forever AND avoid The Frogs. Everyone will elect one for Queen, er, I mean PM and Brexit will be mine, all mine"
"But we don't actually have an election strategy prepared ma'am. You said you weren't having one. David, you said, Boris, you said, throw that election strategy paper in the bin you said, because one is not for turning. Or elections,"
"Well one is jolly well for them this evening, It's that or talk to garlic breath."
"So what's the new strategy? On both fronts? I mean, your maj, the clock is ticking. Article 50 and all that. We have to start some time."
"Well, election wise I thought I'd tit about the country repeating the words "strong and stable" and generally avoiding people. Meanwhile you tell the Frogs you can't come out because you're doing your hair and the dog ate your homework."
"You've been talking to Lynton over sherry again, haven't you?"

larus

I've got a suspicion that you can prepare better for Brexit negotiations if you don't have to spend 51 of the preceding 62 days calling for, then fighting, a General Election.

It's the sort of decision someone intent on "winging it" would make, like a student who can't be arsed to revise for an exam they aren't that fussed about.
Maybe you will be happy on Firday then if we get:
Corbyn as PM.
McDonald as Chancellor.
Abbott as Home Secretary.
And a fully united Labour Party in government.

This is Abbott who has the intelligence of a gnat. McDonald he quote from Moa's Little Red Book, and Corbyn who always votes against terrorist legislation.

If you think we're at the edge of an Economic Precipice now, if Labour get in we will take a huge step forward.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I got the subtext but it seems contradictory to the likely London narrative on Thursday night so it doesn't ring true.
Also, how the hell would a union secretary get postal votes?
Actually, this begs a question: does anyone know where do postal votes get sent to?
Labour 4/6, Tory 11/10 if you think there's something up......

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
e60a89a13721f5f9a47bb00f4e29a625.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I got the subtext but it seems contradictory to the likely London narrative on Thursday night so it doesn't ring true.
Actually, this begs a question: does anyone know where do postal votes get sent to?

Ealing Council have already tweeted a response which links to this brief statement:

A spokesperson for the Ealing Central and Acton Returning Officer, said: “We have robust processes in place to ensure that postal votes remain confidential.
When envelopes are opened the ballot paper is placed face down so that the vote is not seen and ballots are placed in a pile and stored securely. They will only be counted after polling closes on Thursday, 8 June.

All allegations of misconduct are treated extremely seriously. Everyone who attends these opening sessions is given a copy of the legal secrecy requirements and we are reminding them of their duty to maintain the secrecy of the ballot.”

Ends.

https://www.ealing.gov.uk/news/article/1644/statement_on_postal_vote_security

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Has "strong, stable leadership in the national interest" now been dropped?

She is becoming increasingly desperate, why not just come up with a manifesto you believe in rather than negative campaigning ?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Ealing Council have already tweeted a response which links to this brief statement:

A spokesperson for the Ealing Central and Acton Returning Officer, said: “We have robust processes in place to ensure that postal votes remain confidential.
When envelopes are opened the ballot paper is placed face down so that the vote is not seen and ballots are placed in a pile and stored securely. They will only be counted after polling closes on Thursday, 8 June.

All allegations of misconduct are treated extremely seriously. Everyone who attends these opening sessions is given a copy of the legal secrecy requirements and we are reminding them of their duty to maintain the secrecy of the ballot.”

Ends.

https://www.ealing.gov.uk/news/article/1644/statement_on_postal_vote_security

Cheers Boz.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder

Postal votes are opened in the Council Offices in a secure location and can only be accessed by Count staff, overseen by Count supervisors. They are kept face down at all times so it is not possible to see how many votes are going to which candidate. The only time you can see a cross on a paper is when someone has folded their paper in such a way you have to do origami to flatten it out. The ballot papers are counted and are then sealed until they are reopened at the official count after the close of the election. They are then added to the verified papers from the ballot boxes and sorted and counted accordingly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry to state the bleedin' obvious but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Labour have been out canvassing in a marginal seat and have been told to piss off by people using the line "I've already voted Tory by postal vote" because a) they actually have or b) they want to be canvassed about as much as they want to be tapped up by JWs.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Postal votes are opened in the Council Offices in a secure location and can only be accessed by Count staff, overseen by Count supervisors. They are kept face down at all times so it is not possible to see how many votes are going to which candidate. The only time you can see a cross on a paper is when someone has folded their paper in such a way you have to do origami to flatten it out. The ballot papers are counted and are then sealed until they are reopened at the official count after the close of the election. They are then added to the verified papers from the ballot boxes and sorted and counted accordingly.
Nah sounds fixed

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

But can you assume that these council staff are also Unite members? Do these supervisors have to stand guard over the staff or can they take a toilet break? If so, who's to know if someone has a sneaky look?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I know we all have different political opinions but surely we can all agree that those Jonathan Pie videos are so effing tiresome? Talk about flogging a dead horse:

Start off looking a bit unrehearsed
Sarcastic comment about Tories
Whips himself up into a bit of fake rage
Starts swearing
Video done and repeat.

The Youtube equivalent of Ernest.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I crack up every time I see the close-up stage-manged array of banners strategically positioned around her. Everything about her is completely fake.

Meanwhile...

[tweet]871777403475046404[/tweet]

[tweet]871794004530257921[/tweet]

It's a very safe seat but there's been similar pictures for weeks.

Corbynistas desperate to enter an echo chamber containing excessive amounts of virtue signalling……..News At Eleven.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Swapping my Green vote with a Labour voter via swapmyvote.uk
I will vote Labour in my marginal (Labour/Tory) and they will vote Green for me where Greens have an admittedly small chance of a second seat. Democracy in action ... errr what else can you do in this system?

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
But can you assume that these council staff are also Unite members? Do these supervisors have to stand guard over the staff or can they take a toilet break? If so, who's to know if someone has a sneaky look?

In all the many years I've done it, I've not ever seen anyone with the slightest interest in looking at the papers. We're normally too busy discussing this year's holiday or whether to have a chocolate digestive or a malted milk with the next cup of coffee:lol:

Maybe I've been at the wrong Council.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Maybe you will be happy on Firday then if we get:
Corbyn as PM.
McDonald as Chancellor.
Abbott as Home Secretary.
And a fully united Labour Party in government.

This is Abbott who has the intelligence of a gnat. McDonald he quote from Moa's Little Red Book, and Corbyn who always votes against terrorist legislation.

If you think we're at the edge of an Economic Precipice now, if Labour get in we will take a huge step forward.

Why can't you and the other Tory boys on here come up with anything else except negative scaremongering.
It's because that is the way your party is approaching it so like sheep you all follow, and it's because you know full well that Cameron and now May are totally hapless and spreading misery across this country.
A catalogue of missed targets and down right lies while treating the public like mugs.
Surely even the most hard nosed Tory voter can see what is happening and it's all the fault of unnecessary austerity that has totally failed.
And if that Culture secretary on TV this morning is the best they can put forward and May won't debate then I suppose I don't blame you for your negative posts.
Have some balls and stand up for your party rather than acting like pathetic children.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here