Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The self-employed are taxed on income generated not what they pay themselves.

...because you're already out of your depth?

Not at all, I am self employed, with a very good accountant.
Nice try at a sarcastic response though, but my post still stands otherwise I would not have said it in the first place.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not at all, I am self employed, with a very good accountant.
Nice try at a sarcastic response though, but my post still stands otherwise I would not have said it in the first place.

But you do know you are taxed on your profits and not your drawings, right .....

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It is a shame that Harry Enfield & Paul Whitehouse have retired the Doberman brothers...

"If Corbyn came in here and drank a pint and then left without buying a round I'd say "Oi..! CORBYN. NO...!!! You may be the leader of Her Majesty's Opposition and defender of the working class but you may not drink my beer, in my pub, without taking your allotted turn at the bar"...

"and you'd have right on your side, Frank"

Could be "Oi Abbott, Oi McDonnell, you may have the brains of a chaffinch, but that does not allow you to miscalculate when it is your round, and keep getting wrong the total amount of drinks needed when you do try to work it out"........

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
just to be pedantic, and to make a bit of point on the way, its only to cover the additional cost of services. cost of additional infrastructure will be coming from borrowing £250bn. we'll all pay for it in the end.

Its a great time to borrow isn't it?, interest rates are so low and we can create a lot of employment along the way. Far be it for more me to endorse a Conservative policy, seeing as they traditionally borrow more than Labour - http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/...tives-have-out-borrowed-labour-for-a-century/ - including some £700 billion or so since the start of the coalition in 2010 - but that last point really just shows how hypocritical the Tories are in criticising it. It also seems to me that these debts don't really hurt us as a nation considering we're one of the most well-off countries in the world despite having these debts.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Its a great time to borrow isn't it?, interest rates are so low and we can create a lot of employment along the way. Far be it for more me to endorse a Conservative policy, seeing as they traditionally borrow more than Labour - http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/...tives-have-out-borrowed-labour-for-a-century/ - including some £700 billion or so since the start of the coalition in 2010 - but that last point really just shows how hypocritical the Tories are in criticising it. It also seems to me that these debts don't really hurt us as a nation considering we're one of the most well-off countries in the world despite having these debts.

The blog is written by a slightly bias individual who advises the Trade Union Congress and leans to the left.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

This is worse.
Osborne freezes UKIP out of London Standard hustings.
Osborne is hosting a Standard hustings on June 8th in Westminster that includes the likes of Sir Vince Cable from the LibDems and even the Green Party – but no UKIP.

To put that into context, UKIP had 2 Members elected to the London Assembly last year compared to just 1 for the Liberal Democrats.
http://www.westmonster.com/osborne-...ondon-standard-hustings/#.WRwVw8ldmNE.twitter

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This is worse.
Osborne freezes UKIP out of London Standard hustings.
Osborne is hosting a Standard hustings on June 8th in Westminster that includes the likes of Sir Vince Cable from the LibDems and even the Green Party – but no UKIP.

To put that into context, UKIP had 2 Members elected to the London Assembly last year compared to just 1 for the Liberal Democrats.
http://www.westmonster.com/osborne-...ondon-standard-hustings/#.WRwVw8ldmNE.twitter

But UKIP have zip MP's in Westminster, and with the Tories now effectively a nationalist party I don't expect that to change

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
We are seeing far higher achieving and far brighter students attending university and far higher earners upon leaving. All down to taking away the subsidies.

That is a compelling argument.
Can you point me in the direction of the evidence for it?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wanted to vote Green but not allowed to

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The blog is written by a slightly bias individual who advises the Trade Union Congress and leans to the left.

But the data (which is the important part) is from the completely independent Office for Budget Responsibility, drawing on the government's own statistics.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

OK. But which bits are factually incorrect?

There have been a lot of accusations aimed at Labour being economically illiterate. But in reality the manifesto has stood up to scrutiny. Instead a lot of the analysis has been extremely poor. You'd expect it on here, or from the corporate funded clowns at the Institute of Economic Affairs. But also from many that should know better as laid our rather well in this piece:

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/...=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#comment-form

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here