Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

D

Deleted member 22389

Indeed, there is a growing problem and the current (non) options for tackling that problem are unfair.
We have to deal with the problem. We all know that

What we realy need in my opinion is a proper national care service - paid for by increases in inheritance tax (I'd like to see a combination of slightly lowered entry threshold plus an increase in rate above a second threshold). Payment according to ability to pay and service based on need.

Somehow the Tories managed to miss (or just didn't care about) the very obvious inequity built into their proposals. Rather undermines their reputation for 'competence' I'd say.

I am not sure what the differences were between what Andy Burnham proposed (and took a hammering from the Daily Mail and others) and the current Tory proposals. He says his were similar - but fairer. Anyone care to enlighten?

£450 per week is now the average cost of a nursing home, who the hell can pay that. When my nan was in her home it was £300 a week then. The money doesn't last long. There needs a big change, and not one single political party is going to address it or can afford to address it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I haven't read widely around this one yet but surely, as highlighted a few posts before this one, it doesn't seem right that...

- Someone with £300k in cash
- Someone with £100k in cash and £200k in property equity

...are treated differently, does it?
Or if you look at as

Person A owns 4 bedroom house in Workington value £250000

Person B owns 4 bedroom house in Brighton value £750000

Is it right that person B should pay 4 times as much for their home social care?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I'm trying to find out some decent information in plain English what this actually means, and how we can all soften the blow financially for our parents.

I'd suggest you do what any sensible Tory will do and check with your IFA and Tax consultant :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Or if you look at as

Person A owns 4 bedroom house in Workington value £250000

Person B owns 4 bedroom house in Brighton value £750000

Is it right that person B should pay 4 times as much for their home social care?

dont know why you'd look at it like that, it makes no sense why you'd think person B is paying more, unless care costs more in Brighton than in Workington (quite likely but not 4 times).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What we realy need in my opinion is a proper national care service - paid for by increases in inheritance tax (I'd like to see a combination of slightly lowered entry threshold plus an increase in rate above a second threshold). Payment according to ability to pay and service based on need.

Maybe it's just me but I struggle to see why social care is any different from medical care ( a lot of people need both at the same time ). Social care should be 'free' in the same way as medical care. So yes to your idea that it should be based on need and no to the ability to pay.

Whack a penny on the lower band income tax rate and 2p on the 40% rate to pay for it but ring fence the increases to pay for elderly social care. Nearly all of us are going to need social care or will have a family member that does so it should be fully paid for through tax.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Normally I'd be all for this, but sadly we all know this is only being driven by the exorbitant cost of Brexit rather than any sensible social care policy.
I'm no fan of this policy as it may well affect me, or more accurately, affect my children, and not in a good way. It is driven by the ever increasing number of old people in our society needing care, the increasing cost of providing that care, and also by the fact that medical science is keeping more of us alive for much longer, in many cases with medical conditions which a few years ago would have killed us off.
The number of old people staying alive and being in need of care would not be any different whether we are in the EU or out of it, so this nonsense about it all being due to Brexit is frankly idiotic.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Maybe I'm a bit and naïve.....and perhaps far too heavily influenced by my facebook feed and conversations with friends.....but it certainly feels among "the youth" (well, 30 and under) that Labour are starting to tap into something.

Headline policies have seemingly been favourable and there is little if no anti-corbyn rhetoric anymore.

Again, as before, I'll clarify that I don't "do" politics. Debate bores me greatly and I have no "favourite". I'm likely to be voting for a different party for the third election on the bounce. However, there certainly is momentum building.

Of course, by default, I'm surrounding myself with mostly like-minded individuals so I have no idea if this is represented nationally. I thought Remain was a certainty based on similar circles so that shows how wrong I was :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe it's just me but I struggle to see why social care is any different from medical care ( a lot of people need both at the same time ). Social care should be 'free' in the same way as medical care. So yes to your idea that it should be based on need and no to the ability to pay.

its always been like this, not sure why though. maybe its assumed that family would attend to, old age care, so was never brought into the scope of health care. i dont think we are unique in this separation either, aren't other countries have the same?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When May can make a speech like this I will buy the idea of her 'leadership': https://twitter.com/liamyoung/status/866048543873748992
She is too scared to talk to real people. And when she does try - she is exposed.
All he did was tell a bunch of people that they're the best etc, it had nothing to do with running our country.

You don't think many people, IN BRIGHTON AND HOVE, will care that she believes being gay is a form of demonic possession and can be "cured"?
Is that what she believes, or is it just what some people from the church she went to believe?

They won't care that she's mental? She said she cured a man of deafness by touching him. She's an idiot.
:lol: I never know if this is real or fiction - have you got a link?

This election isn't about who will be PM, Theresa May will be our Prime Minister still on June 9th, however this election is the message we send to the kind of government we want her to form, and for me I'd rather she didn't extend her majority and requires political consensus resulting in more balanced policies.
I can understand that point of view, but on the subject of Brexit (which is by far the main subject for the next term), I'd rather the government didn't have to pander to those with more extreme views.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
There is one thing that's puzzling me about this election -

Why, when you've just fired the starting gun on the biggest, most complex and far reaching project that the UK government and civil service has ever undertaken, would you then decide that 24 months is far too long to complete it, so let's make it 21.5 months instead ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
C-XwQjKXgAAaV-S.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A partial U Turn from Mrs May a cap to be applied to dementia tax. However fails to say what the limit will be.

Talk about making it up as you go.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Old age/Dementia care is an issue that has been dodged by all governments for the last 30 years. It needs a cross-party solution that is seen as fair. Whatever that solution is, it's going to cost a LOT of money.
My own choice would be state run care homes built and paid for by scrapping Trident.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
dont know why you'd look at it like that, it makes no sense why you'd think person B is paying more, unless care costs more in Brighton than in Workington (quite likely but not 4 times).

It really is simple.

Person A pays until the care costs have reached £150000

Whereas person B coontinues to pay care costs until they reach £650000.

Fair?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here