Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You mean Laura 'how much more of May's ass can I kiss before the election' Kuenssberg's unbiased reporting?

I find her difficult to watch as she is usually pushing her own point of view rather than looking for answers from interviewees. Most apparent in her bias against Brexit. I'm not complaining though as I know how to locate the 'off' button on the remote.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Of course I am not arguing against a free press. But how free is it when a few billionaires own many of the top distribution titles of our mainstream media? The point I am making is do you think the coverage has been fair and equitable, and in essence free?

its perfectly free, you're confusing the popularity and sales figures of a some newspapers with how free the press is. the press have no obligation to be fair or equitable, thats the first step towards state control (as with BBC) and away from a free press. what your complaining about is that the right wing press is apparrently more commerically viable than left leaning papers.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Fascinating to see people's reasoning. In my view this is a single agenda election. The manifestos are just a sideshow. Every vote other than Tory weakens our bargaining power against Europe. Regardless of my political persuasion, that's how I see it, a peaceful war. We need to approach it in strength and together (IMHO of course).

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
A

A free press can report in whatsoever way they wish.... or are you arguing against a free press ? If so, who decides what's 'fair?'

Not really free though is it. It's the propaganda of the wealthiest men in Britain, who don't want you to question the status quo......that would not be patriotic now would it!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I don't recall the "Brexit boys" stating these "facts", more likely ones you have dreamt up in your head.

Leave flyer.JPG

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
[ what your complaining about is that the right wing press is apparrently more commerically viable than left leaning papers.[/QUOTE]

Nope, the complaint is that the wealthy elite can use the mainstream media to push their own agenda and people just accept this

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Every vote other than Tory weakens our bargaining power against Europe.

How?

Mrs May - The UK are going to leave the single market, customers union, free movement, etc.
EU - OK, and the leaving bill is £50bn
Mrs May - I'm not paying that
EU - It's £50bn
Mrs - No, No I have a majority of 200 seats and I lead a strong and stable Government, we're not paying
EU - We're not impressed its still £50bn

So effectively how many votes or seats the Tories get is irrelevant, whether they have a majority of 1 or 250 the EU position will not be influenced by it.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I don't recall the "Brexit boys" stating these "facts", more likely ones you have dreamt up in your head.

If you are saying that it is utterly bizarre to suggest £200 a week cost of living reductions, shorter NHS waiting lists, 17 per cent reductions in the cost of food and tall the other wild lies I quoted, then I am inclined to agree with you. Unfortunately, it was stuff like that that helped push the Leave billionaires' campaign over the line.

The problem with western countries is the breakdown of the extended family/support. Look around at many Asian cultures and they would be abhorred at the thought of off-loading elderly relatives to others to care for.
What happens now I'd the children want to put them into a care home, get the state to pay (read that as other tax payers), and then get thr proceeds from the house sale.

Sorry, this is not a dig at you, but at what point should we be responsible for our own life/care? If we have no money, then the state should be the fall-back position. If we have money, then we should be able to provide for ourself.
My point was, that people are saying the tory policy is some evil new policy.
People have been selling their houses to fund care for years.

My mum and dad could have put Nan into a shithole council care home and with some decent tax planning seen a lot more of the estates value, but chose a private care home which has everything Nan needs and this is being funded by the house sale.

My views are that you should fund your own care arrangements through the sale of your home and take responsibility for your family. The state can't do it for you.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Thankfully people are starting to see through the MSM hatchet jobs on Corbyn. He is a huge threat to the establishment and big corps and they will stop at nothing to try make Labour look weak! JC would be a make a great PM and his policies are far more in-line with what this country is crying out for than the total shite being offered up by the Tories!

Forget Murdoch and the billionaires trying to brain wash you with their dodgy biased media and vote Labour for everyones sake!

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Tories death tax not a chance I will be voting for them
LibDems I like some of what they are saying but!
UKIP I am not that mad to vote for them
Greens I like some of what they are saying but!
Labour I really like their manifesto it's a yes from me

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Fascinating to see people's reasoning. In my view this is a single agenda election. The manifestos are just a sideshow. Every vote other than Tory weakens our bargaining power against Europe. Regardless of my political persuasion, that's how I see it, a peaceful war. We need to approach it in strength and together (IMHO of course).

Many European leaders despise May on the basis she backed remain but is now trying to engineer a Hard Brexit. She seriously weakens Britain's negotiating hand because she's political poison.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Tories death tax not a chance I will be voting for them
LibDems I like some of what they are saying but!
UKIP I am not that mad to vote for them
Greens I like some of what they are saying but!
Labour I really like their manifesto it's a yes from me

Nicely thought out and reasoned voting criteria. Thanks for your input. Now, would you like to 'expand' a little or just accept your post has no substance? ???

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Forget Murdoch and the billionaires trying to brain wash you with their dodgy biased media and vote Labour for everyones sake!

Murdoch is hardly a benign force but he's a long way from the worst. The Times is among the most balanced of papers, certainly on Brexit. The revolting Desmond at the Express, the mysterious Barclay brothers at the Telegraph and Dacre's bosses at the Mail are far nastier.

Having said that, the present Labour party appears to be an organisation solely designed to make its leaders feel virtuous whilst facilitating the return of an unpleasant Conservative government. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I was them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here