Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Whilst I think today's U-turn show May is essentially gutless, the dementia tax IMO was correct. Its the kind of thing they need to be strong on to sort out public finances and avoid the burden the old are placing on the working population.

There is so much property wealth in south England, but lets face it, its unearned wealth has occurred purely out of circumstance of changing demographics, more relaxed lending etc. It also helps address the massive wealth gap.

If you bought a house in 1992 in Brighton you got lucky, in Burnley you may as well stuck your money in the post office

So if it was essentially correct, and your point in bold is what you believe, would you not support an inheritance tax increase?

If 2 homeowners who have contributed the same in NI and tax through their lives, and one homeowner without care needs who may tragically die prior to needing care passes on their property value with only inheritance rules applied whereas the homeowner who requires care has to pay for that through the value of their home. Isn't National Insurance all about sharing the burden of care between everyone so that we all pay for it even though we don't all need it? Wouldn't the equitable thing to do is to raise inheritance taxation to pay for the care burden so that it is shared by everyone, not just those unfortunate enough to need care?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
At least the news is all over May's U turn

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So i am wrong am i. My experience, my opinion, sorry it runs down your "working class party".

The Royal Sussex works were ready to go with budgets agreed as far back as 2008. The current government has dragged its feet for 6 years to the point of the case being desperate. The Children's Hospital is an amazing facility, for the stress of taking a child to hospital, the internal environment is bright, airy, welcoming.

PFI is a Tory policy that New Labour ran with, which a lot of people thought they were wrong to do so, which in some cases the Conservatives have continued with. If you are against PFI, then how on earth can you vote Tory?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The most despicable people around are toffs, and that's a massive reason not to vote tory

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The Royal Sussex works were ready to go with budgets agreed as far back as 2008. The current government has dragged its feet for 6 years to the point of the case being desperate. The Children's Hospital is an amazing facility, for the stress of taking a child to hospital, the internal environment is bright, airy, welcoming.

PFI is a Tory policy that New Labour ran with, which a lot of people thought they were wrong to do so, which in some cases the Conservatives have continued with. If you are against PFI, then how on earth can you vote Tory?

"The Children's Hospital is an amazing facility, for the stress of taking a child to hospital, the internal environment is bright, airy, welcoming. "..........i know, i worked on it from start to finish.:rolleyes:
As i said, Labour went heavy on PFI, as for the Tories, you might expect it, which is why i have never voted Tory, but Labour, the party mean't to represent the "working class".... that ship sailed long ago, along with my vote.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"The Children's Hospital is an amazing facility, for the stress of taking a child to hospital, the internal environment is bright, airy, welcoming. "..........i know, i worked on it from start to finish.:rolleyes:
As i said, Labour went heavy on PFI, as for the Tories, you might expect it, which is why i have never voted Tory, but Labour, the party mean't to represent the "working class".... that ship sailed long ago, along with my vote.

I was complimenting the fact you worked on it as you can tell a bit of pride went into it from everyone involved given the detailing and finishes. :thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Bbc 1 now, May interview

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Boom! 3 minutes in and she mentioned strong and stable!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

"ran with".
Far more than ran with, Labour took it up many levels, saddling the UK with £100b's of debt for a generation or two to repay. (Not shown in public sector national debt figures).

If you don't believe someone on this thread, read the Guardian and Independent articles on this.

The payments servicing these PFI contracts will deprive NHS trusts, councils and schools £209m over the next 35 years.

The Major government used PFI's rarely for projects such as bridges. Labour turned it into a doctrine:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/nov/22/pfi-private-finance-refuse-debt

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Andrew Neil tearing her a new one

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"ran with".

Many than ran with, took up many levels, saddling the UK with countless £100b's of debt for a generation or two to repay. (Not shown in public sector national debt figures).

If you don't believe someone on this thread, read the Guardian and Independent articles on this.

The payments servicing these PFI contracts deprive NHS trusts and schools £209m over the next 35 years.

The Major government used PFI's rarely for projects such as bridges. Labour turned it into a doctrine:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/nov/22/pfi-private-finance-refuse-debt

I'm not defending PFI!!

I am saying that if you are critical of it, then you are critical of both the Tories and New Labour. Of course we have PF2 now, not sure that is going to prove to be much better...

I will add, surely the only reason the Tories didn't run with it, is because they weren't elected. They would have probably used in all honesty with greater gusto than Labour did. It is a weak argument really, because although hypothetical, the PFI situation would be as worse if not worse had the Tories remained in power from 1997. Unless you are suggesting they would have made a great U-turn of their own policy? (which currently would appear a fair counter argument...)

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Never gone Blue in my life.

This time, Blue is the colour. Sort this wretched Brexit out properly, also consider the Red or Yellow alternatives :facepalm:

Best of a very iffy bunch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here