Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
One of the first sentences in the leading article about Corbyn's speech on the BBC website:

Opponents criticised his speech

Before detailing strongly critical quotes from Boris and Farron.

However, UKIP and Greens have both said they agree with Corbyn. No mention of Greens in the article, and UKIP aren't mentioned to the very end after a number of other quotes of individuals criticising Corbyn.

I had thought the BBC remained fairly impartial in relation to its reporting of Corybn. Recently I am starting to change my views in relation to that, especially given the behaviour of Nick Robinson and Laura Kuenssberg concerning Corbyn.

The reporting here does not appear particularly balanced to me. At least, the article does not seem to fully reflect public opinion polls which seem to suggest the population is split when it comes to military intervention. The article implies the vast majority are against what Corbyn has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40053427

What the Greens say:

The Green Party responded to Jeremy Corbyn's speech on foreign policy and terrorism with praise, but pointed out only 11 Labour MPs voted against the military intervention in Libya.

Jonathan Bartley, Green Party co-leader, said: "The responsibility for terror attacks like that in Manchester lies solely with those who perpetrate these heinous crimes, but it is important to look at the wider picture too.

"The Labour leader is right to point to failed western intervention as a cause of instability. Indeed when you look at the Libyan intervention you see failure at almost every level.

"If we're going to beat terrorism we need both adequate security measures at home and a look at how Britain's role in world affairs can have serious unintended consequences which lead to greater insecurity."

Last edited:

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Labour closing in on Tories

Looks like a huge amount on momentum behind the Labour campaign at the moment since they have managed to shift the focus of this election to the policies and not the pathetic sound bite of 'Strong and Stable'. Looks like Tories are desperate to get away from discussing policies, their campaign has been a disaster so far but no doubt will have a good spell. Labour desperate to keep the discussion away from personalities and are managing to get their message out there. For all Corbyn's faults he is in his element out campaigning.
Of course these polls were shown to be a completely wrong at the last election and you have to beware of the silent, embarrassed Tory but there seems to be a real mood change in the country at the moment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...t-poll-theresa-may-labour-votes-a7757031.html

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The 80 page GENERAL ELECTION thread wasn't obvious enough I assume ???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Labour's campaign is certainly not slick - the manifesto leak and subsequent Corbyn absence at the launch is testament to that - but the manifesto is full of bold policies, real change and they seem to have tapped a nerve with "austerity isn't working".

Crucially, Middle England can see their schools being hit by cuts, the police being stretched to breaking point and the joke that is the "strong and stable" mantra.

When the election was announced it looked as though it would take a miracle for Labour to gain power. Now it is an outside possibility. It would still take Theresa May having an absolute mare of a fortnight for it to have any chance of happening, and Labour still have the likes of Diane Abbott on the front bench. I fully expect Theresa May to keep the focus on security and away from social policy, but right now she's losing the head to head with Labour's supposed weakest leader since Michael Foot.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As I posted on a separate thread all you have to do is put photos of Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbot onto an Election Flyer with the phrase Potentially Your New Government and the Tories have it nailed...

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The Conservatives cancelled the relaunch of their election campaign, as nervousness grew over the party’s evaporating lead in the opinion polls.

Faced with the likelihood of difficult questions about the Tory campaign, David Davis suddenly pulled out of a planned event in central London earlier today.

With Theresa May abroad at the G7 summit in Sicily, it meant the effective relaunch of the Tory campaign, after the three-day pause because of the Manchester bombings, was put on hold.

Ms May would be left with a wafer-thin Commons majority of just two if the swing to Labour in a fresh poll – putting the Tories just 5 points ahead – was replicated in every constituency.

Meanwhile, the Prime Minister’s lead over Jeremy Corbyn in personal approval ratings has shrunk from an astonishing 52 per cent at the start of the election campaign to just 17 per cent.

The Conservatives declined to discuss why Mr Davis had pulled out of the event, a decision taken late last night as news of the YouGov/Times poll dropped.

Full story: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...abour-theresa-may-jeremy-corbyn-a7756976.html

SAC

May 21, 2014
The Tories are going to win with a landslide. Anything less will be an embarrassment to them and possibly lead to more in-fighting than before she called for an election. Labour could only win if the Libs take back a load of the seats they lost to the Tories and Labour take back seats lost to the SNP.

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
As I posted on a separate thread all you have to do is put photos of Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbot onto an Election Flyer with the phrase Potentially Your New Government and the Tories have it nailed...

That's EXACTLY what they are doing and it doesn't seem to be working.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003

Similarly if you show Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, Chris Grayling and Jeremy Hunt right?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And now TM has the difficult job of making Brexit happen. I'm fairly sure JC would too,but I don't have much faith in his negotiation abilities,

I keep hearing this and it's something I genuinely don't understand. Both parties have made it clear (and the EU negotiating team have made it clear) that the PM will not be greatly involved in negotiations with the EU - it will be David Davis or Keir Starmer. And Labour has a clear edge there - Starmer is a QC, used to arguing the toss, Davis isn't.

And while it's not relevant to the issue, I'm not convinced that May is a tougher nut than Corbyn anyway. She's the one who, in this campaign, has avoided debate, will only speak in front of hand-picked audiences and tries to vet questions from the media. She's also had to make two u-turns in the last month or so (three if you count the election itself) Corbyn has spoken in public and has had to fend questions from a largely hostile press, held his ground and handled everything well so far. Why do people think that May is tougher?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I keep hearing this and it's something I genuinely don't understand. Both parties have made it clear (and the EU negotiating team have made it clear) that the PM will not be greatly involved in negotiations with the EU - it will be David Davis or Keir Starmer. And Labour has a clear edge there - Starmer is a QC, used to arguing the toss, Davis isn't.

And while it's not relevant to the issue, I'm not convinced that May is a tougher nut than Corbyn anyway. She's the one who, in this campaign, has avoided debate, will only speak in front of hand-picked audiences and tries to vet questions from the media. She's also had to make two u-turns in the last month or so (three if you count the election itself) Corbyn has spoken in public and has had to fend questions from a largely hostile press, held his ground and handled everything well so far. Why do people think that May is tougher?

I don't think that Labour have the will to negotiate brexit. All I've seen so far is a half-hearted acceptance that, as we voted for it, it should happen. Starmer is amongst the worst of them in his attitude. The EU will recognise this and will do everything they can to scupper the negotiations. I can definitely see Labour contriving a situation where they hold a second referendum and they will campaign to remain. If people really want to leave, and accept that it won't be an easy process, then voting Tory is the only way.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Similarly if you show Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, Chris Grayling and Jeremy Hunt right?

At least they are not Marxists whose best buddies are the IRA. Can anyone on this board honestly say they think Abbot is anything but a piece of sh*t?

I don't think the Tories are particularly brilliant but in the land of the blind a one eyed man does have a distinct advantage...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think that Labour have the will to negotiate brexit. All I've seen so far is a half-hearted acceptance that, as we voted for it, it should happen. Starmer is amongst the worst of them in his attitude. The EU will recognise this and will do everything they can to scupper the negotiations. I can definitely see Labour contriving a situation where they hold a second referendum and they will campaign to remain. If people really want to leave, and accept that it won't be an easy process, then voting Tory is the only way.

Labour won't betray the UK electorate like that. We're told by his hard left colleagues that he's a rarity in politics, honest and a man of conviction.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
An inept and impactless campaign from the Tories, but the thought of Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott holding the reigns of power will surely be enough to see off Labour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here