Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Bognor Seagull

Dec 2, 2011
That's why they're suggesting photo ID for future voting - it stops 3million+ from voting unless they pay £72 for a passport. You can't have the plebs voting in an election.

Indeed. Without the plebs, thickies & workshy we would not have had UKIP & Brexit success. The country would be permanently New Labour (whatever that was). Thank goodness the masses arose from their slumber.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Then vote for policies and not personalities

We are voting for our political representatives so making a judgement on the people involved plays a big part. It's too glib to dismiss this as personality politics. For a start this is a representative democracy so we are empowering politicians to make decisions as circumstances change over the next five years. It's as much about selecting competent managers as it is about a snapshot of intentions. For that reason whilst I would be attracted to many Labour policies I will not vote for Corbyn etc because I dislike their student causes such as nuclear disarmament and open borders. These will not be in the manifesto but I will not take the risk.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We are voting for our political representatives so making a judgement on the people involved plays a big part. It's too glib to dismiss this as personality politics. For a start this is a representative democracy so we are empowering politicians to make decisions as circumstances change over the next five years. It's as much about selecting competent managers as it is about a snapshot of intentions. For that reason whilst I would be attracted to many Labour policies I will not vote for Corbyn etc because I dislike their student causes such as nuclear disarmament and open borders. These will not be in the manifesto but I will not take the risk.

Very true. Whether you agree with Tory policies or not how can you vote for Kristy Adams given her non Brexit views and being able to heal the deaf through god.

D

Deleted member 22389

Would just like to make the point that under the last Labour government my nan had to go in to a nursing home, with the proceeds from the sale of the house going to pay for her care. As far as I am aware if there are two people living in the house, and one needs a nursing care they cannot kick the other person out. Both political parties are to blame for this shit, they should have set up a separate plan 20 years ago, an insurance that people could pay in to along with their tax, so should one person need nursing care the funds are already there.

I would also like to make the second point, that before my dad passed away he had mental illness, it was really bad then trying to access care, find a bed and that was also under the Labour government, so please all parties are the same at the end of the day, unfortunately my experience of Labour is that they promise so much and have no way of really paying for it, which generally means it is the people in the middle who pay for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Very true. Whether you agree with Tory policies or not how can you vote for Kristy Adams given her non Brexit views and being able to heal the deaf through god.

Yes, same applies to all parties but with particular reference to those they are putting forward as the leadership team. With regard to Labour I resigned my membership of the party in the 1980s because of Corbyn, Abbott etc and I haven't changed my mind.
Ironically, I do trust JC on Brexit. He has opposed EU membership throughout his entire career even if many metropolitan Labour voters do not wish to believe it.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Would just like to make the point that under the last Labour government my nan had to go in to a nursing home, with the proceeds from the sale of the house going to pay for her care. As far as I am aware if there are two people living in the house, and one needs a nursing care they cannot kick the other person out. Both political parties are to blame for this shit, they should have set up a separate plan 20 years ago, an insurance that people could pay in to along with their tax, so should one person need nursing care the funds are already there.

I would also like to make the second point, that before my dad passed away he had mental illness, it was really bad then trying to access care, find a bed and that was also under the Labour government, so please all parties are the same at the end of the day, unfortunately my experience of Labour is that they promise so much and have no way of really paying for it, which generally means it is the people in the middle who pay for everything.

I fully agree with your point on insurance for social care. However for this to be introduced the dementia tax would need to be phased in to enable people to pay enough premiums so the funds to cover the costs had been built up. This could be as an additional levy on work place pensions, an increase in NI or a stand alone product. The point being that the change should only apply to say those born after 1990 and for existing elderly oeople the current position continues.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Whilst Corbyn appeals as he is promising everything to everyone. Can taking a little bit more off the top 5% really pay for it all ? I`m a tory voter but with my daughter about to start accrueing debt at UNI the idea of not paying the £9250 a year tuition fees is appealing. However I fear the Almighty mess we will be in if Corbyn wins when realisation dawns that his multi Billion giveaway can not be afforded.

D

Deleted member 22389

I fully agree with your point on insurance for social care. However for this to be introduced the dementia tax would need to be phased in to enable people to pay enough premiums so the funds to cover the costs had been built up. This could be as an additional levy on work place pensions, an increase in NI or a stand alone product. The point being that the change should only apply to say those born after 1990 and for existing elderly oeople the current position continues.

Why is nobody doing this, that would be a vote winner in my book? It has always been unfair on families that their parents home needs to be sold, it's a double tax. It's the principle.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Indeed. Without the plebs, thickies & workshy we would not have had UKIP & Brexit success. The country would be permanently New Labour (whatever that was). Thank goodness the masses arose from their slumber.

Some Brexiteers are net economic contributors, HARSH

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Blimey didn't realise you had the casting vote. :ohmy:

I have a vote in a very marginal constituency with a Labour incumbent. Condescending berks who can't understand basic tactical voting just make me more determined to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
How did you manage to avoid being told what to do by the media ? Are you more intelligent than the rest of us ? It's just that viewing difference of opinion as stupidity is a rather intellectually weak position to take.
Yes it does make me more intelligent! I use my own brain and experiences of meeting different people, I do not read papers and believe everything they're telling me.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I do find it interesting that over the last few weeks Labour have dismissed the opinion polls as being utter nonsense, yet suddenly start to take them as gospel once they look a bit more favourable.

Personally, I think the Tory manifesto is horribly misguided but I still can't vote for a party that would contain Corbyn, McDonnell and Diane Abbott in government.

Inclined to agree, their team really aren't up to it. But widespread tactical voting will at least limit the damage the Tories can do to all of us bar the top 10%.

The manifesto is just a tip of the iceberg, they haven't had a big majority for 30 years and for those that remember the late 80's / early 90's these were dark times.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Why is nobody doing this, that would be a vote winner in my book? It has always been unfair on families that their parents home needs to be sold, it's a double tax. It's the principle.

You will never get private insurance to cover care in old age because you cannot effectively price the risk. As stated it's a lottery and no underwriter's going to touch it.

However, you said earlier there should be an insurance you pay alongside your tax. There is - NI. It was originally brought in to cover illness. Now May is proposing hard working families pay twice EVEN IN THEIR OWN HOME and you're still trying to blame Labour :facepalm:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes it does make me more intelligent! I use my own brain and experiences of meeting different people, I do not read papers and believe everything they're telling me.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I do exactly the same as you. I never read newspapers and yet will never vote for JC..same methods of forming opinions but different conclusion. Perhaps you are more intelligent than me but as we haven't met it might be wise to use some of that brain power to not jump to conclusions.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Voted Green on here (the environment is the main long term issue that needs tackling) but given the electoral system that renders a large % of votes (incl mine) redundant or pointless I am considering vote swapping ... https://www.swapmyvote.uk/. Anyone else?

D

Deleted member 22389

You will never get private insurance to cover care in old age because you cannot effectively price the risk. As stated it's a lottery and no underwriter's going to touch it.

However, you said earlier there should be an insurance you pay alongside your tax. There is - NI. It was originally brought in to cover illness. Now May is proposing hard working families pay twice EVEN IN THEIR OWN HOME and you're still trying to blame Labour :facepalm:

What's actually changing then? It's always been the same hasn't it, if you need a care home your house gets used to pay for it once your savings have been exhausted. It was 25,000, but the Tories are increasing that 100,000 before you pay anything. If two people are in the home are they going to kick one out?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What's actually changing then? It's always been the same hasn't it, if you need a care home your house gets used to pay for it once your savings have been exhausted. It was 25,000, but the Tories are increasing that 100,000 before you pay anything. If two people are in the home are they going to kick one out?

You have never had to pay for care in your own home out of the value of your house. The Tories are proposing that you now have to. Previously this only applied to residential care.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here