Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I don't think people don't claim there's a press bias.

It's more they don't care that there's a press bias.

That's a better way of wording it, yes. The media bias against Labour is unreal. It's baffling that people either deny it exists or simply don't care.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Philip Hammond got the cost of HS2 wrong by 20 billion pounds.

Michael Gove got his immigration figures totally wrong and revealed his didn't actually know how much the immigration skills charge is, despite wanting to double it.

Amber Rudd claimed that police officers shouldn't need to use fool banks because they earn 40k a year. That figure is £2000 higher than the absolute maximum a police constable at the top of the pay bracket can earn.

Abbott made headline news with her blunder. None of the above did. And people claim there isn't press bias.

Coo! Wonder where my brother-in-law,recently retired PC,got the extra 40K odd a year from?He used to take days off in lieu so he didn't earn too much from his overtime.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
That's a better way of wording it, yes. The media bias against Labour is unreal. It's baffling that people either deny it exists or simply don't care.

Don't you watch the BBC?:rotlf::lolol:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Even when FACTS hit people in the face they still don't wake up to reality.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

The principle issue many people have against Labour is the supposedly-unbiased BBC News. Their subtle but obvious vilification of them is a relatively new thing from a broadcaster previously respected for its news output.

The press bias is obvious, and May's omission of Leveson II from the manifesto (something Cameron had promised) leaves a very nasty taste in the mouth.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ok let me re-word it for the not-so-clever. Diane Abbott has a designated role in her party, Gove is just an MP. Does that help you?

No. Gove was a government minister, and will be angling for a role in the new government, should Theresa May be forming it. Much in the same way Diane Abbott would be angling for the Home Secretary role should Corbyn (with or without a coalition partner) get to choose his cabinet.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The principle issue many people have against Labour is the supposedly-unbiased BBC News. Their subtle but obvious vilification of them is a relatively new thing from a broadcaster previously respected for its news output.

The press bias is obvious, and May's omission of Leveson II from the manifesto (something Cameron had promised) leaves a very nasty taste in the mouth.

bolo.jpg

Can't see a great deal of vilification or anti-Labour coverage on the Beeb today,or this week.Steptoe smiling in every photo.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
A
The point isn't the mistake, its the reporting of the mistake. Do you think the coverage of Abbott's numerical errors were balanced and objective in comparison to Hammond and Gove? This isn't a party political point, this is a point about free press, and fair coverage.

A free press can report in whatsoever way they wish.... or are you arguing against a free press ? If so, who decides what's 'fair?'

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What is the definition of hopelessly wrong.

Suggesting Policemen were going to be paid £80 is in my view far more hopelessly wrong than saying I think a charge is £2000 when it's a £1000.

But others may differ

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A

A free press can report in whatsoever way they wish.... or are you arguing against a free press ? If so, who decides what's 'fair?'

Of course I am not arguing against a free press. But how free is it when a few billionaires own many of the top distribution titles of our mainstream media? The point I am making is do you think the coverage has been fair and equitable, and in essence free? This thread highlights the coverage Abbott received which at times was very personal and in some quarters disgraceful, and similar mistakes made by other politicians doesn't get anywhere near the coverage.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You mean Laura 'how much more of May's ass can I kiss before the election' Kuenssberg's unbiased reporting?

Feck me, you're watching a different channel to me then.

She let Corbyn off the hook massively when the Labour manifesto was released.

She always seems rude and aggressive to May imo.

Funny how we all see it. At least we all support a good football team [emoji2]

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Feck me, you're watching a different channel to me then.

She let Corbyn off the hook massively when the Labour manifesto was released.

She always seems rude and aggressive to May imo.

Funny how we all see it. At least we all support a good football team [emoji2]

https://www.thecanary.co/2017/05/19/the-bbcs-laura-kuenssberg-does-the-unthinkable-trying-to-defend-the-tories-shambolic-manifesto/

You're right about our choice of football team :albion2:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Coo! Wonder where my brother-in-law,recently retired PC,got the extra 40K odd a year from?He used to take days off in lieu so he didn't earn too much from his overtime.

You realise 40k is double the starting salary of a constable right?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Of course I am not arguing against a free press. But how free is it when a few billionaires own many of the top distribution titles of our mainstream media? The point I am making is do you think the coverage has been fair and equitable, and in essence free? This thread highlights the coverage Abbott received which at times was very personal and in some quarters disgraceful, and similar mistakes made by other politicians doesn't get anywhere near the coverage.

The press never has been and never will be fair. It is free in as much as it can print what it likes and we are free to buy or not to buy. One probably needs to look at the Dianne Abbott coverage in the context of her career. She has never been a spokesperson for me or most Labour supporters and has reached her current position despite rather because of her abilities. Many regard her as an extremist who speaks for a narrow group of people. Similar could be said of Michael Gove so
I understand where you are coming from. However it is for the Guardian and the Mirror to take Gove etc to task and
it's a little pointless to expect the Mail etc to do the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here