Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Maybe because otherwise they'd be 10% plus compound higher?

Anyway its about ideology - just likevtories punishing the disabled and the elderly for being under productive.

My dad is disabled and elderly
Under the Tories his care from physio has not diminished,his care from district nurses has not diminished. His "allowance" according to benefits has not diminished.

He will along with many disabled people be voting Tory in the election

D

Deleted member 22389

Portslade and Hove voters. Some of you may have seen Adams, the tory candidate waving a flag at the promotion party for a photo op on twitter. Here's some interesting background on her: https://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickstr...ay-cure-church?utm_term=.uka1XYmO2#.lpjngM2yr

If the candidate was from another religion, I don't think this would even get a mention just in case they offended the whole religion. It might be wrong, easy pickings to discredit the candidate as she is likely to not get offended. I don't think many people will care either. Just my opinion.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If the candidate was from another religion, I don't think this would even get a mention just in case they offended the whole religion. It might be wrong, easy pickings to discredit the candidate as she is likely to not get offended. I don't think many people will care either. Just my opinion.

You don't think many people, IN BRIGHTON AND HOVE, will care that she believes being gay is a form of demonic possession and can be "cured"? And that, in a nutshell sums up Tories and their supporters. Utterly out of touch. Boy, is your finger not on the pulse! Jeeze Louise!!!!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

They won't care that she's mental? She said she cured a man of deafness by touching him. She's an idiot.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
But it's not about whether they can afford it, what will frustrate them is that through no fault of their own, ie getting dementia, their families will lose their inheritance, albeit except for £100,000.

I don't get the fuss about this policy, you already have to pay to go into a care gone if you have assets, all this does is defer the payment.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Who knows, but I can't see why they would rise? The government would become directly accountable for fare prices, and quality of service to the people that elect them. Unlike now, when they can simply shrug about Southern Rail and say 'we know it's crap but what can we do?'

Rail services are public services. They need to be treated as such and not as a profit making opportunity for (often foreign) companies.

It's not just about ideology as another poster mentioned - it's more about the above. It should not just be looked at as a 'one-off' cost saving exercise. The problem with the current privatised rail system is the fragmented nature of it. For instance, when a train is late and you want to complain / get a refund, you first have to work out which company it was that was involved, then they will pass the blame on to a different company, who will then pass the blame onto a further company - and so on. All of these companies are employing people who spend their time showing why it was not their company that was at fault. The same happens when there are the rare accidents on the network.

If it were one nationalised company - then there would be a clear chain. Passengers would be dealt with properly and not just be fobbed off.

I hear the argument 'BR were poor' and so on - but times have changed. Private companies were just as poor, and actually BR were making significant improvements when it was sold off, and no doubt those improvements would have continued.

The other thing is all the money wasted between all these separate companies paying each other. It's madness that a train operating company has to pay someone else for their trains, and then Network Rail to use the lines, and so on. Each company makes a profit to pay their dividend - and as most of the companies are now foreign owned, much of this money just goes straight out of the country. So, not only would a national rail system be cheaper and more efficient (in the backroom), but it is likely that more of the fares we pay will stay and circulate in the UK.

Apart from 'BR weren't great' I've not yet actually heard any arguments put forward for retaining the current system? Are there any?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What about the Tories doing the same in interviews including Hammond but it doesn't get reported

better at covering it up i suppose..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can we have a new poll? Be good to see if the shift leftwards is reflected on here.

I'm going to try, but it's not something I've done before so it could go horribly wrong.

This is the first result:

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 11.12.46.png

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
But it's not about whether they can afford it, what will frustrate them is that through no fault of their own, ie getting dementia, their families will lose their inheritance, albeit except for £100,000.

Agree-i don't happen to agree with this particular policy...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Nice one, though i do think as in past polls the results on NSC do not neccessarily reflect the mood of the nation.

No perhaps not,however this 2nd referendum so to speak will still show the same result an Conservative victory..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Peter Kyle for me for Hove and Portslade.

Regardless of Jeremy Corbyn, I like Kyle, he's worked hard for his constituency and there are more of his pledges locally that I agree with than the other candidates.

This election isn't about who will be PM, Theresa May will be our Prime Minister still on June 9th, however this election is the message we send to the kind of government we want her to form, and for me I'd rather she didn't extend her majority and requires political consensus resulting in more balanced policies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here