Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Then vote for policies and not personalities

That's FAR too simplistic.

You need to have faith in the personalities to actually deliver the policies. In my opinion, I couldn't trust most of the Labour front bench in government. That's just how it is for me, and I shall be voting accordingly.

D

Deleted member 22389

You have never had to pay for care in your own home out of the value of your house. The Tories are proposing that you now have to. Previously this only applied to residential care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what are we talking about here full time care or a bit of home help?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
That's FAR too simplistic.

You need to have faith in the personalities to actually deliver the policies. In my opinion, I couldn't trust most of the Labour front bench in government. That's just how it is for me, and I shall be voting accordingly.

I support many of Labour's policies. And the overall direction of travel that they are indicating. I also think Jeremy Corbyn has far more about him than he is given credit for.
At some point we do have to confront the fact that very large corporations, operating effective monopolies, are causing far too much power to be concentrated in the hands of a few - and that in turn is closely linked with the growing inequality, and environmental degradation,which very few believe is sustainable in the long run. You can call this 'neolibralism', or just capitalism gone wrong. But it cannot be ignored for much longer if we want things to carry on improving for the majority.

The current Labour leadership is at least putting forward different ideas to tackle this and I believe are genuine in their intent to take on vested interests.

But, in the (still very unlikely) event of them winning, they will struggle to implement. No doubt. They are inexperienced, will have massive external resources lined up against them (including a very large part of the press). They will also be fighting some pretty difficult internal battles. Most of those in Labour with experience of government will want to see them fail. And civil servants (who they will rely on for guidance and detailed implementation) are mainly small c conservatives and very resistant to doing anything they are not familiar with.

So doubts about how capable Labour would be of delivering are very valid in my view. It would likely get messy!

But I'd still rather have a group trying their best to do the right thing than a bunch of elite, corrupt, duplicious, fox hunting arses who may well be able to run things efficiently but only with a view to looking after the interests of a small wealthy minority.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You have never had to pay for care in your own home out of the value of your house. The Tories are proposing that you now have to. Previously this only applied to residential care.

Its always a strange anomaly that house prices should somehow be ignored in any calculation of wealth, especially when accessing public funds, even accepting the personal affinity to a family house, but ultimately as I understand it, this way you stay in the house and only get the charge on your estate when you have died, of course the benefactors would prefer full access to that properties full value but that in itself negates the personal affinity part of the argument.

Why should someone with a £200,000 home with £100,000 savings be looked at demonstrably less favourably than someone with a house worth £300,000 with no savings with similar care demands ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Peter Kyle for me for Hove and Portslade.

Regardless of Jeremy Corbyn, I like Kyle, he's worked hard for his constituency and there are more of his pledges locally that I agree with than the other candidates.

This election isn't about who will be PM, Theresa May will be our Prime Minister still on June 9th, however this election is the message we send to the kind of government we want her to form, and for me I'd rather she didn't extend her majority and requires political consensus resulting in more balanced policies.

Likewise. In the original poll I voted UKIP ( as I did in the last GE ) and was then veering towards Tory. BUT the religious nutter the Tories have put into Hove has changed my mind. She refuses to give her view on Brexit and believes in healing hands. I'd almost tolerate that but the reprehensible policy the Tories have proposed for social care in the home for the elderly is the straw. I've never agreed with people being forced to sell their homes to fund care home care but to now include the value of their home and force them to sell it after their death to fund in home care is nothing short of selling your own Grandmother.

I have completely opposing views on Brexit than Peter Kyle but he is a decent MP who has fought for his constituency but I can no longer consider voting for the Tories when they have such a disgusting disregard for the elderly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd like to be a fly on the wall at Conservative HQ reflecting on the narrowing (to varying degrees) poll leads.

Their all but non-engagement in this campaign is pretty insulting to the electorate, and you do have to wonder if they have any kind of self-awareness at all.

It may be the worst election I can remember, in terms of the quality available, but it sure is fascinating.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It won't make any difference where I live (the current Tory got 60% of the vote last time) but it'll be either Labour or Lib Dem for me, though I can't see either making any impression on that majority, sadly.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I see NSC has reverted to the delusional political stance that Labour will win the General Election.

There are going to be a lot of disappointed NSCers come the morning of June 9th...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Their all but non-engagement in this campaign is pretty insulting to the electorate.

Putting BoJo on the telly yesterday certainly didn't help. No wonder they are not engaging if their Foreign Secretary puts up the show that he did on Peston.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I'd like to be a fly on the wall at Conservative HQ reflecting on the narrowing (to varying degrees) poll leads.

Their all but non-engagement in this campaign is pretty insulting to the electorate, and you do have to wonder if they have any kind of self-awareness at all.

It may be the worst election I can remember, in terms of the quality available, but it sure is fascinating.

I rather liked an observation I heard on the radio that the Tory's decision to put out a manifesto that so risked alienating their core base (pensioners) was akin to One Direction putting out a new album entitled 'teenage girls are fat and ugly'.

Hard to pull back from what they've said now (cos they have to be strong and stable)...and they know that May performs badly when pushed out to engage with the media and public. So I expect an all out assault on Corbyn/Abbot. Expect a lot more in the right wing press on IRA, nuclear weapons, and whatever else they can dig up.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

May well have taken the eye off the ball, given the calibre of the opposition not a huge surprise...

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

The Conservatives should be on course for a 100+ majority which would give them the ability to put through whatever policies they want, whether on the manifesto or not. Given this, you would have expected them to put forward a bland manifesto pretty much devoid of anything controversial or revolutionary. Instead they have put forward something that is turning off their elderly supporters in their thousands.

It almost leads me to wonder whether May & some other senior tories secretly still want Brexit to fail (was Boris ever really pro?) but knows that scuppering it would be the end of the Tories and that "Hard Brexit" would be disastrous for Britain.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I see NSC has reverted to the delusional political stance that Labour will win the General Election.

There are going to be a lot of disappointed NSCers come the morning of June 9th...

I don't think a poll on a football forum is going to reflect a national election! Even now with a 9 point lead nationally & shy Tory syndrome, Empress Ming is going to have to really screw up to blow this. Even then Labour are all but finished in Scotland & we'll get a hung parliament.

What would be nice is if we got a bit of a contest. She has assumed a coronation & it's coming back to bite her in the bum.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'll probably be voting Lib for the first time ever just because it could be possible to vote the useless Tory out as our MP. If Labour stood a chance in my ward then I'd vote for them instead.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I do wonder whether the media is somehow toying with us, in the sense that the campaign started with nothing but a Tory landslide and with the hours and pages to fill an order came down from the editors and producers to turn on the Tories and start giving them a little kicking, try and create a semblance of a competitive election.

I suspect that once achieved they will soon turn back to highlight Labours real inadequacies and the Tories will resume their dominance, it perhaps tells a story of the power of the media, they themselves might see themselves as the only real opposition.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You didn't read the poll question. We were asked who we were going to vote for not who do we think is going to win the election, The two questions are very different: it's like assuming that because 99% of us would support the Albion away to Chelsea, 99% of us reckon we'd win

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I do wonder whether the media is somehow toying with us,

It's funny you should say that because there's a big row brewing over the Scottish leaders debate, with a member of the audience, saying that on a nurses' pay she has had to use foodbanks.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/furious-nurse-savages-snp-leader-10472207

Firstly the SNP tried to say she was a Tory councillors wife, which was untrue. BUT, the public have found out that she has been on QT before, and is not working in the NHS, but for a BUPA hospital earning £29K, spent Christmas in New York and sends her child to an 11K private school.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/ne...banks-online-snaps-swanky-meals-and-champagne

Maybe, if you're going on tv as a plant, it's wise to delete your Facebook account first.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting to see both the Tories and Labour pumping money into Adwords for the term 'Dementia tax'. Modern, campaigning, eh?

Conservative and Labour pay Adwords for Dementia Tax.png

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The sheer hypocrisy of the Tories and their media chums....

While the mainstream media focuses on Jeremy Corbyn’s alleged “support” for the IRA, it is conveniently ignoring a Conservative politician who actually used to be a member. And even said that:
I agreed with the shooting of British soldiers and believed the more who were killed the better.
Smear. Lie. Repeat
Following last week’s release of their shambolic manifesto, Theresa May’s poll ratings have taken a significant slump in the past couple of days. To accompany this downturn we’ve see the Tories’ loyal attack dogs in the media attempting to smear the opposition with anything they can get their hands on.

Full article: http://evolvepolitics.com/realise-current-conservative-politician-literally-member-ira-right/

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here