Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

D

Deleted member 22389

I wouldn't say the party is a shambles. I would say the TM is a bad PM and has ****ed up. IMO, she is only surviving in a transitional role and once the dust settles there will be a new process to appoint a new leader.

I would also say that Labour are a shambles. The leader was/is not wanted by circa 80% of his MPs. He removed his Home Secretary for 'health reasons' in the last week of the campaign and the shadow chancellor was conspicuous by his absence on the campaign. Yes, they got more votes from the young, but as I've already mentioned, there is a view (and not an unreasonable one) that they were attracted on the 'get rid of tuition fees' policy. Being honest, at £27k, why wouldn't a student vote for that?

They will learn soon enough, Corbyn is the cool dude of the moment, but it doesn't make any difference, Labour lost so tuition fees still apply.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
As a brexiter am I the only one to see this result as the best outcome?

imo May is useless and doesn't know what she is doing. Now Brexit is about borders and the weak link is the landbridge to Ulster which she may well have forgotten about if the tories have a big majority. The DUP will focus on that as well as being a salve to them in an alliance. Plus with a bit of luck we will get rid of May sooner or later before the next election.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
What is it with Islington and being 2nd or worse then regarding as success (ta Durham)?
CSJ5YxxWwAAwToE.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Where's tubby mc fat feck? I want to congratulate him on his majority that he wasn't in now way confident about getting

He'll be back in the run up to the next election to call everyone who disagrees with him an idiot, pretend to have a really important job and claim he can't wait for results day and the 300 seat majority earned by shining new Prime Minister Kristy Adams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

imo May is useless and doesn't know what she is doing. Now Brexit is about borders and the weak link is the landbridge to Ulster which she may well have forgotten about if the tories have a big majority. The DUP will focus on that as well as being a salve to them in an alliance. Plus with a bit of luck we will get rid of May sooner or later before the next election.

Probably.

Brexit is now about compromising with people who didn't want it to happen and still think it's a terrible idea.

Almost certainly sooner.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not sore though.

I don't know what my ideal result was so I'm not sure I could describe myself as a winner just yet. I'll need to think about it a little bit more.
<snip>
My other concern is the impact of a fragile government, of any persuasion, attempting to negotiate a Brexit deal on behalf of us all. I'm not sure how that can work out well. Barring another election sharpish, that's what we're going to be stuck with isn't it?

Yes, it is all a bit baffling. I have been listening to the radio most of the day (while working on a book - honest guv). Comments like 'Labour had a well organised campaign' 'Corbyn was clear and plausible' whereas 'May had little to offer' and 'People saw through the rhetoric' still sound psychedelic to me, considering where we were as little as 4 weeks ago.

What will it mean? A weak government, soft Brexit (so soft it will seem like a betrayal to the hard brexit shouty people) yet a hard border in Ireland (how can it be anything but - unrestricted flow of people from the tip of Italy to Britain's Belfast, anyone?). And we have five years of the DUP and their seventeenth century mores, with their hand up May's skirt, tugging on her heart strings . . . no she will resign, call another general election before the year is out, or be challenged and deposed fairly soon.

Strong and stable? If I were a card carrying tory without a delusion gland (there are some) I'd be weeping into my beer right now.

As for labour, you have the likes of Chuka Umunna shrugging their shoulders and saying 'you have to hand it to Jeremey, I thought he was a total embarrassment, but he seems to have struck a chord with the people with whom I was supposed to have a special relationship (the young and educated) so a grudging hats of too him, and can I have a seat in the shadow cabinet, pretty please?'

Everyone loves a winner, or if not an actual winner then someone who suddently and surprisingly looks like he may soon be a proper winner. I guess its a bit like those odd Albion games where we lose but it feels like a win.

Personally I feel that whereas it was recently an act of sheer self-abuse and emotional vandalism to vote Labour, it now seems like the wind and the tide have turned. Weird. Despite Dierdre Spart having a meltdown, Corbyn having once RAN the IRA, while spare head three says 'yes I am a Marxist, yes, yes I yam!', it seems that lots of people are thinking 'actually, let's give this lot a go - they don't seem to have that lie reflex and zombie like ability to talk absolute nonsense - you know, We will be better of if we vote remain, and we can also be better off if you let me negociate Brexit - that the other lot seem to have - politocal CJD' Who would ever have predicted that?

Still, a week is a long time in politics, and a more resolute campaign by the Sun and Mail (who thought that mocking the weirdy beardy would suffice) could still Restore Good Order over the next few years by rendering the Corbyn brand toxic. Stand by for more stories from 35 years ago . . . . if you can stomach it . . .

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It's about getting the balance right and they haven't.
I get austerity but not when the 5th largest economy with a strong (apparently) economy increases child poverty in this country along with under funding our kids education.

And what exactly qualifies as "child poverty"? I'll bet the parents (and probably the kids) have iphones and ipads, a massive TV in their living room and probably another in their bedroom, a couple of large dogs which cost a fortune to feed, and have found money for a couple of armfulls of tattoos ..... and then they cry "poverty".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I though it would take a 1000 years but in this age of great surprises, I can't argue with one word of that :thumbsup:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
And what exactly qualifies as "child poverty"? I'll bet the parents (and probably the kids) have iphones and ipads, a massive TV in their living room and probably another in their bedroom, a couple of large dogs which cost a fortune to feed, and have found money for a couple of armfulls of tattoos ..... and then they cry "poverty".

You forgot to mention the Sky subscription. You really have no idea do you? Did the Daily Mail tell you that?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

.....and they say the Liberal Elite are snobs....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Go and get your moat cleaned you clueless buffoon.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Nah, its just labour using social media ala trump to pull one over gullible youngsters.
Brilliant. So what do the Tory Party have in their locker to offer the disaffected youth?

This is the $64m question that I've yet to hear a single coherent answer to.

The conservatives have long been unable to offer anything to anyone bar the super rich but thanks to their bottomless funding and backing from a ruthlessly neoliberal media they've successfully continued to dupe the electorate with lies about austerity being necessary and wealth trickling down.

Now their lies are being exposed and the opposition are offering a credible alternative, blinkered loyalists just dismiss the result today as some kind of freak, as if people will soon return to the comforting bosom of the party that brought this whole wretched situation on us all.

But why on earth would they? What can the Conservative party of 2017 offer to anybody below the age of 40, who isn't already wealthy? Name one thing, without resorting to blaming the opposition as if that's a credible argument.

Genuinely, I'm all ears

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

barchetta

Mar 21, 2016
likely to be nurses, care workers, teachers, living in rented accommodation with kids using food banks because they cant make ends meet after 7 years of no pay rises or 1%.

well done whilst the top 5% get richer.....turkeys voting for christmas

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm still amazed by her unabashed demand to still lead the government WITH the DUP, seven weeks ago she had a majority made up of Tories now she has to suck up to people she never knew existed until 5AM this morning. She has cost the country parliamentary time and huge expenses to go backwards ! She has no shame.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm still amazed by her unabashed demand to still lead the government WITH the DUP, seven weeks ago she had a majority made up of Tories now she has to suck up to people she never knew existed until 5AM this morning. She has cost the country parliamentary time and huge expenses to go backwards ! She has no shame.

It's brilliant you couldn't make it up. The whole reason for holding the election was because she didn't feel she had enough support to enter Brexit negotiations. Now she is weaker than before and has to enter Brexit negotiations which she wasn't comfortable with when she was stronger.

And we are supposed to trust this woman negotiating Brexit when she got this simple election idea so wrong?

larus

Go and get your moat cleaned you clueless buffoon.

This is the problem which I mentioned earlier. The stereotypical post and then the similar snide response.

What exactly is child poverty and why does it exist?
For example, some children will be in families where the waster their money on gambling, drugs, alcohol, smoking, fast food, sky TV etc etc. These kids could be deemed to be in poverty, but no matter what support you give families like that, the kids will always be in poverty (the only solution is to remove from the parents).
On the other hand, there's a single mum, working her nuts/tits off on 2 part-time jobs and struggling to pay the rent, bills, food, etc.

Who would I be happy to pay taxes to help? Yep, number 2. So, does that make me a nasty, selfish Tory, or someone who feels that we have to accept some degree of responsibility for our own lives? Nothing is ever simple or straight forward, and the media are always very good at finding examples of hardship/abuse of the system to suit their agenda. Yes, there is hardship and there is also abuse. The solution is to accept that both exist and tackle together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here