Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Amber getting dumped by Hastings!

Has to be a sporting chance of her getting turned over, especially if tactical voting has any legs. Another more realistic seat is Kate Hoey getting dumped in Vauxhall. Huge ask, but the LidDems have thrown everything at this seat. Their final canvas data has their candidate with a slender lead. They called it correctly in Richmond Park, so who knows. Counts for nothing of course if people don't follow their words with a vote.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
If it was possible for me, I'd prefer to have a very early night, get up around 2:30 and take it from there. However, that's clearly bonkers, so I imagine I'll try to stay awake as long as possible and go to bed around 1:00 knowing nothing of the unfolding events as they occur until I wake up, knackered, Friday morning to the news that the Conservatives have a minor landslide victory and then it'll be time to question my lamentable strategy - why plan for failure?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Interesting link - thanks. The predictions of number of seats are based on sampling 100-200 voters at each of 100 polling stations - so, on 10k-20k people. A much smaller number than I had expected. They aspire to getting the winning majority to +/- 20 seats, and consider +/- 10 seats as "exceptionally" accurate. No wonder they've been pleased with themselves the last couple of GE then!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
After the last few elections here and for Europe, and in the US, I've awoken to terrible news. I imagine I will again this time, and will not give the early tidings the merest of glances with a wrongful feeling of hope. It's rather annoying not to be surprised with good news.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Interesting link - thanks. The predictions of number of seats are based on sampling 100-200 voters at each of 100 polling stations - so, on 10k-20k people. A much smaller number than I had expected.

about 10x more than regular opinion polls. also, they have 0 non-voters and i believe no undecided (havent read that article, does it say?). some of the regular polls can have 20-30% undecided.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Go to bed early - Get up early, depressed at the result, to go and see the last surviving member of my close family, my alzheimer's ridden mother and probably not explain to her that at some point we'll have to mortgage her house to some speculator who May will appoint at a very generous rate I'm sure to suck the last vestige of dignity from her life.

On the other hand I believe the weather is going to be nice at the weekend...

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
about 10x more than regular opinion polls. also, they have 0 non-voters and i believe no undecided (havent read that article, does it say?). some of the regular polls can have 20-30% undecided.
They canvass at polling stations as people leave , so I am guessing they are not undecided or non voters.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Yes, that's true. And yes, 0 undecided. They don't say what they do with any spoiled ballot responses.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
But the "shy Tory" effect can apply just as much to an exit poll as to a regular opinion poll, surely? Also as exit polls are face-to-face rather than telephone or online (like most of the others), people might be even more reluctant to confess in person to having just committed a deeply anti-social act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On the other hand I believe the weather is going to be nice at the weekend...

The sun always shines on the righteous.

#VoteLabour

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
But the "shy Tory" effect can apply just as much to an exit poll as to a regular opinion poll, surely? Also as exit polls are face-to-face rather than telephone or online (like most of the others), people might be even more reluctant to confess in person to having just committed a deeply anti-social act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could be a bit of a "shy Corbyn" effect this time ? ???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For the last 3 General Elections the 10pm Exit Poll on TV has been incredibly accurate. Therefore, having put myself through the all-nighters of the Tory majority of 2015, the Brexit vote last June and Trump's election in November I don't think I can face another "death by a thousand cuts" over 5 or 6 hours.

Therefore, this year I'll check the Poll outcome, then make a decision. It'll probably be the earliest night I'll have had in weeks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Funny isn't it, when you are asked individual questions like that, that show how much you care about other people, as well as yourself, that almost invariably you don't come up with a result to vote Tory
Not really, given that the quiz is biased.

however, we all know the reality will be very diferent when it gets to the polling both and self interest takes over!
Most people don't vote Tory out of self interest, they do so because they believe the Tories will do a better job of running the country which will benefit the many. It's amazing how many people still don't get that.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
If it was possible for me, I'd prefer to have a very early night, get up around 2:30 and take it from there. However, that's clearly bonkers, so I imagine I'll try to stay awake as long as possible and go to bed around 1:00 knowing nothing of the unfolding events as they occur until I wake up, knackered, Friday morning to the news that the Conservatives have a minor landslide victory and then it'll be time to question my lamentable strategy - why plan for failure?

Exactly how my previous election nights panned out, and how this one will go as well I'm sure. In theory it's great, in reality I just get bored waiting for hours for something to happen, question what I'm doing with my life and go to bed.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
No it's not. I'm voting Kyle not because I support Corbyn ( I definitely don't ) but the national parties are a disgrace so I'm returning back to what constituency voting was meant to be about - voting for the person that will best stand up for your constituency. I'm sure as hell not voting for a religious nutter.

I rarely agree with your posts, and we clearly are at different ends of the political spectrum from each other, but this post is spot on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here