Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
According to The World At One, it has to be written on special goatskin parchment and it takes a week to do.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Going to be waiting a bit longer for that pay out?

Edit - this was a reponse to Bozza's post about delay of Queen's speech

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I appreciate the effort you put in writing lots of words but when you get things so badly wrong in your opening gambit (now in bold) I'm not going to spend any time reading the rest. Sorry. I'm sure it was good though.

It was

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

Looks like they'll need to setup a video link from the Royal Box at Ascot. Will have to be speeded up a bit to get it in between races though.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
He posited a hypothesis as to your beliefs, and may have been wide of the mark. Why does this result in you responding with such contempt, again?

So, so patronising.

Don't worry - I have been defending Corbyn since his first leadership election. I even attempted some level of defence of Diane Abbott. I have a thick skin! There's quite a few people need to develop the same now...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not even the most turkey-like Tory backbenchers (Anna Soubry? Nicky Morgan?) would be voting for Christmas in the face of this sort of polling.

Mrs May will be happy to see this. Got any more?

A couple of By-Elections and the DUP turning out to be batshit mental and they won't need to.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes, that's how I see it. The election result shocked many, especially those at the top of the Conservative Party, and the right wing press. We are, I believe, seeing the beginning of a sea change in British politics.

He posited a hypothesis as to your beliefs, and may have been wide of the mark. Why does this result in you responding with such contempt, again?

So, so patronising.

He said:

I think you, along with many many others (see Boris Johnson in the Sun today) are desperately trying to find a way to spin what has happened to make yourselves feel better.

But I'm not trying to make myself feel better about anything. Well, nothing beyond drinking too much and sleeping too little this weekend anyway. I don't think he was talking about that though.

But If you genuinely think that the fact that Tories ended with more seats then it means they 'won'

When I have used words such as "disastrous" in relation to the Tory campaign and the subsequent election results, and stating that no one with any sanity would suggest otherwise, then it should be very clear that I do not think the Tories have won in any respect whatsoever.

So, answering your question, if people don't bother to read what I have written and then make wild inaccurate assumptions, then I'm not going to waste my time reading what follows. Soz.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I don't think so, but Betfair (and group company Paddy Power) are being a bit vague about this. They say that the market will be settled "once the Queen has given her assent to the formation of the first Ministry."

I'm no constitutional expert and I'd never heard this term before so I tried to have a look what this actually means over the weekend.

I know the monarch has to give Royal Assent to bills, but I'm not sure the Queen's Speech is one of those and, additionally, Royal Assent has never not been given.

So, the technical step that has to take place I'm assuming is this:

After a new Prime Minister has been appointed by Her Majesty, the Court Circular will record that "the Prime Minister Kissed Hands on Appointment". This is not literally the case, but in actual fact, the literal kissing of her Majesty’s hands will take place later, in private Council.

...but it doesn't seem to be directly related to the Queen's Speech. I gave up looking when I got to this point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here