Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm still amazed by her unabashed demand to still lead the government WITH the DUP, seven weeks ago she had a majority made up of Tories now she has to suck up to people she never knew existed until 5AM this morning. She has cost the country parliamentary time and huge expenses to go backwards ! She has no shame.

No one else has the right to govern though. She has to give it a try.

Beyond that you are correct though. She's taken two months off a project with a drop dead go live date, split her party, made Corbyn look competent, turned Brighton and Hove completely red and green and is now relying on ex terrorists to look "strong and stable". Complete mess of a woman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
So I'll tell you a little thing I found out over the past couple of weeks, it may be news to some.... Me and my partner are about to rent a property for 6months or so, however I wasn't aware that the formula they use to check affordability is that they multiply the rent per month x33 to establish whether you can afford it. We're going to be paying £700pcm for a ONE BED flat. This means that you need to earn £23,100 as an annual salary. Luckily, I do, however there is a large part of society that doesn't, so how on earth do people afford to rent even a basic property if they earn under that? Minimum wage works out at £14,200 a year based on a 37.5 hour week. This means that even basic private rental is unaffordable.

We're really in the shit in this country when it comes to cost of living, and I genuinely can't see how it's going to improve under this government. Or any in the near future for that matter. We should be investing more in genuinely affordable accommodation, rather than driving hard working people into bedsits and slum landlords.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Nah, its just labour using social media ala trump to pull one over gullible youngsters.

Sneaky ba..stards engaging with youngsters. I doubt social media is going away or more youngsters coming through for the next election is going to stop.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
As somebody that is going to uni very soon, I'll have to say I don't have a problem with the idea of tuition fees, what irritates me is the cost.

Tuition fees, like the maintenance loans, should be calculated based on the parent's income, with the highest amount at around £10k a year and the lowest £1k, and for the very poorest who perform well academically, they should be free.
The higher amounts paid offset the lower amounts.
I say that's fair because a lot (not all) of the more wealthy students were probably privately educated, so surely the parents wouldn't mind continuing to pay a similar amount towards their child's education. Or if they use loans to pay for it, they're statistically more likely to graduate with a well paid job so they'll afford to pay it off.

I think maintenance grants again should only be for the very poorest.

And I think since most students have to move to go to University, the accommodation should be covered by the tuition fee, as right now it is ludicrously expensive.

Sneaky ba..stards engaging with youngsters. I doubt social media is going away or more youngsters coming through for the next election is going to stop.

..And the youngsters don't read the tabloids either.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Nah, its just labour using social media ala trump to pull one over gullible youngsters.

Are you really that arrogant? ??? Highest youth turn out in forever and all you can do is patronise them? No wonder the youth don't engage in politics.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
So I'll tell you a little thing I found out over the past couple of weeks, it may be news to some.... Me and my partner are about to rent a property for 6months or so, however I wasn't aware that the formula they use to check affordability is that they multiply the rent per month x33 to establish whether you can afford it. We're going to be paying £700pcm for a ONE BED flat. This means that you need to earn £23,100 as an annual salary. Luckily, I do, however there is a large part of society that doesn't, so how on earth do people afford to rent even a basic property if they earn under that? Minimum wage works out at £14,200 a year based on a 37.5 hour week. This means that even basic private rental is unaffordable.

We're really in the shit in this country when it comes to cost of living, and I genuinely can't see how it's going to improve under this government. Or any in the near future for that matter. We should be investing more in genuinely affordable accommodation, rather than driving hard working people into bedsits and slum landlords.

Fully agree with you,but both the Blues or Reds are not interested. Serious.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

What's rent like north of a line drawn from the Wash to Bristol? 'Two Britains' problem?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Brilliant. So what do the Tory Party have in their locker to offer the disaffected youth?

This is the $64m question that I've yet to hear a single coherent answer to.

The conservatives have long been unable to offer anything to anyone bar the super rich but thanks to their bottomless funding and backing from a ruthlessly neoliberal media they've successfully continued to dupe the electorate with lies about austerity being necessary and wealth trickling down.

Now their lies are being exposed and the opposition are offering a credible alternative, blinkered loyalists just dismiss the result today as some kind of freak, as if people will soon return to the comforting bosom of the party that brought this whole wretched situation on us all.

But why on earth would they? What can the Conservative party of 2017 offer to anybody below the age of 40, who isn't already wealthy? Name one thing, without resorting to blaming the opposition as if that's a credible argument.

Genuinely, I'm all ears

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I'll give this a go although I feel your disagree.
So I'm 32 years old and I voted conservative.
So why would I vote conservative.
1st - help to buy scheme has allowed me to get on the property ladder something I couldn't do in Sussex without their help. This wa ms 4 years ago and I have now put myself in a position to repay this money.
2nd when I was younger I did what I thought was best didn't take my place in university and went to work. Between 18-24 I would of averages a wage of say £15k. I had friends come back from uni get better jobs and work hard. I also had friends take up apprenticeship schemes and go on to qualify in jobs like plumbing, open their own businesses and do well for themselves. I thought I wanted some of that but I realised nothing is really given for free.
So I decided to enroll at open university, upgrade my skills and work hard rather than expect things to be given for free. I did this and I got a better paid job which in turn with help to buy assistance to buy a house.
I then met my now wife. She had a great idea for a self employed business but couldn't find it. We went to another conservative based funding idea and having presented a business plan we were appointees with a business manager and were given the loan. My wife has worked her self 70/80 hours a week to make it work and has made her business profitable through hard work and assistance from the business manager. We repaid the loan which had been given at a low rate.
I am not rich never have been and never likely to be but conservative ideas of hard work and schemes they had in place allowed my quality of life to increase, but it wasn't given free you had to work for it.
You say credible alternative but to be honest I've not really seen one. I'm not a real fan of TM and her manifesto in all honest was not good to be polite.
However you talk of lies being exposed but I'm yet to see a credible way JC expected to give free tuition to students and forfill all the other promises that were made. It's easy to promise something you can't give.
That said I think he played the election better than May did and deserves credit for that.
I don't think the country is better for it though but time will tell. Brexit talks next. Can't wait

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Corbyn must have started getting very nervous last night as he nearly won and he would have to find all the money he was promising everyone.:eek:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As somebody that is going to uni very soon, I'll have to say I don't have a problem with the idea of tuition fees, what irritates me is the cost.

Tuition fees, like the maintenance loans, should be calculated based on the parent's income, with the highest amount at around £10k a year and the lowest £1k, and for the very poorest who perform well academically, they should be free.
The higher amounts paid offset the lower amounts.
I say that's fair because a lot (not all) of the more wealthy students were probably privately educated, so surely the parents wouldn't mind continuing to pay a similar amount towards their child's education. Or if they use loans to pay for it, they're statistically more likely to graduate with a well paid job so they'll afford to pay it off.

I think maintenance grants again should only be for the very poorest.

And I think since most students have to move to go to University, the accommodation should be covered by the tuition fee, as right now it is ludicrously expensive.

Why should the fees be based on the parents income?

When you go off to university you will be an adult and will be repaying the tuition fees when you have finished your degree and in employment. Your income post degree will be based on your ability and the job involved and not your parents income.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
1st - help to buy scheme has allowed me to get on the property ladder something I couldn't do in Sussex without their help. This wa ms 4 years ago and I have now put myself in a position to repay this money.
2nd when I was younger I did what I thought was best didn't take my place in university and went to work. Between 18-24 I would of averages a wage of say £15k. I had friends come back from uni get better jobs and work hard. I also had friends take up apprenticeship schemes and go on to qualify in jobs like plumbing, open their own businesses and do well for themselves. I thought I wanted some of that but I realised nothing is really given for free.
So I decided to enroll at open university, upgrade my skills and work hard rather than expect things to be given for free. I did this and I got a better paid job which in turn with help to buy assistance to buy a house.
I then met my now wife. She had a great idea for a self employed business but couldn't find it. We went to another conservative based funding idea and having presented a business plan we were appointees with a business manager and were given the loan. My wife has worked her self 70/80 hours a week to make it work and has made her business profitable through hard work and assistance from the business manager. We repaid the loan which had been given at a low rate.
I am not rich never have been and never likely to be but conservative ideas of hard work and schemes they had in place allowed my quality of life to increase, but it wasn't given free you had to work for it.
You say credible alternative but to be honest I've not really seen one. I'm not a real fan of TM and her manifesto in all honest was not good to be polite.
However you talk of lies being exposed but I'm yet to see a credible way JC expected to give free tuition to students and forfill all the other promises that were made. It's easy to promise something you can't give.
That said I think he played the election better than May did and deserves credit for that.
I don't think the country is better for it though but time will tell. Brexit talks next. Can't wait

Fair play, I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

That's honestly the first genuine argument I've been given for a Conservative vote

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

So your reason for voting conservative is all based on the benefits for you under the conservatives and nothing about wider society. It would seem you dismissed the Labour slogan of for the many not the few, and instead are happy with for the one and not the rest.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So your reason for voting conservative is all based on the benefits for you under the conservatives and nothing about wider society. It would seem you dismissed the Labour slogan of for the many not the few, and instead are happy with for the one and not the rest.

Yep, typical Tory voter - self interest!

Modern Toryism goes back to the greed is good era and f*** you society. As long as I am ok stuff those that aren't. They quite clearly haven't tried hard enough!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Yep, typical Tory voter - self interest!

Modern Toryism goes back to the greed is good era and f*** you society. As long as I am ok stuff those that aren't. They quite clearly haven't tried hard enough!

Yeah working hard making a success of himself and his family, paying taxes, taking very little out, what a selfish so and so. :facepalm:

Whereas the students who flocked to Labour were in no way influenced by having their debts/fees wiped out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here