Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Fine, these people don't like the Tories but why deface campaign boards.

Because they're bone heads? Every single party has campaign boards defaced and aggressive social media posts against supporters of them. It's not a left wing only phenomenon.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
"terrorist sympathiser who is obviously unfit to lead the opposition (according to Labour Mp's) let alone the Government is beyond me"

Well he went to a funeral commemorating/honouring IRA terrorists killed by the SAS and according to one significant member of the IRA and another politician, (a central player in the peace process) was a supporter/sympathiser with the IRA. A big majority of Labour MP's passed a vote of no confidence in Corbyn as Leader of Her Majesty's opposition.

but he is still there gaining on the tories and gaining grass roots supporters

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
In the run up to Mrs May calling the election I felt JC was not a leader I could vote for however I now realise that the media have been running at best a media black out and at worst a campain of smears towards Labour under JC and since the election was called JC has had an opertunity to talk directly to the British people he is coming across to me as a sincere man who wants the best for the majority of population and has a clear set of policy's as to how it can be delivered.

For me one of the biggest issues is healthcare we are the fifth biggest economy yet we spend less on health per person than France, Germany, Republic of Ireland, Holand, Demark, Austria, Austrailia, Belgium, Canada, Luxombourg, Japan, Norway, Switzerland,Norway, Iceland even the USA spends more on state funded health per person than we do!!!!

We as a country have the money it's how we choose to spend it I know how I want it spent I'm voting Labour

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Where is this pub ?? are you joking !!! Read again It says IF !!

If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this…

Yes, of course I was joking. It seemed like the appropriate response to such a facile analogy.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
but he is still there gaining on the tories and gaining grass roots supporters

Probably true. Can you enlighten me as to why you.. as a retired long serving Prison Officer can overlook his obvious connections/sympathy with an organisation that killed/ maimed/intimidated numerous Prison officers and other employees of the Crown? Genuinely interested.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
In the run up to Mrs May calling the election I felt JC was not a leader I could vote for however I now realise that the media have been running at best a media black out and at worst a campain of smears towards Labour under JC and since the election was called JC has had an opertunity to talk directly to the British people he is coming across to me as a sincere man who wants the best for the majority of population and has a clear set of policy's as to how it can be delivered.

For me one of the biggest issues is healthcare we are the fifth biggest economy yet we spend less on health per person than France, Germany, Republic of Ireland, Holand, Demark, Austria, Austrailia, Belgium, Canada, Luxombourg, Japan, Norway, Switzerland,Norway, Iceland even the USA spends more on state funded health per person than we do!!!!

We as a country have the money it's how we choose to spend it I know how I want it spent I'm voting Labour

Brilliant .. yet the Tories have promised to spend more on the NHS than Labour.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Problem is a lot of people just don't believe them anymore, is this a backlash from Boris and Goves £350 million bus then running away after they won?

Not saying you can trust any of them or remain didn't lie. but the fall out from Brexit was massive.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The only reason we're not a Third World Country is our wealthy - if all our wealthy were to leave - we would become a Third World Country.

So having a highly skilled workforce or developed financial markets, service sectors, incredible innovation etc all count for nothing.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It is not free though is it. There is a higher tax plan involved.

Correct. But the taxes supposedly fall on 'other' people with little impact on the wider economy which I think is delusional/unrealistic. Don't get me wrong there is scope to raise taxes at the higher end but we are talking raising them by a big margin just at the moment we are extracting ourselves from the EU. :shootself

D

Deleted member 22389

Fair enough. You might not agree with what Farage stood for, but the smear campaign was the same for Farage. I haven't taken the Corbyn smears too seriously, I know they are not true but I just can't vote for Labour anymore.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Problem is a lot of people just don't believe them anymore, is this a backlash from Boris and Goves £350 million bus then running away after they won?

Not saying you can trust any of them or remain didn't lie. but the fall out from Brexit was massive.

You have a point. The section of leave voters who believed the £350 Million for the NHS bus was literally true rather than an example are also likely to believe Labour's freebie giveaway plans are credible.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Really?

I thought the manifesto for the parties provided for

Labour: £30bn over 5 years + £10bn capital spending
Tories £8bn in real terms more in 2022/23 than in 2017/18 + £10bn capital spending

So unless inflation goes through the roof, it looks to me that Labour will be spending more on the NHS

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016

Except in real terms it's not really true.

Under labour government at their social care policies will lead to less people relying on the NHS. In simple terms, same spend with less us and the money goes much further.

Added into the fact that the Theresa May openly endorses the Naylor report which recommends a fire sale on NHS assets. The cost to prepare assesta for this fire sale is £9billion.

The cost doesn't stop there, the report also recommends a 2 for 1 deal. This means that investors coming in for the NHS assets can bid 50% of the asset valuation and at the same time, the government will match the bid. Basically giving a private investor an NHS asset at half the cost to them and the Tax payers PAYING half to get rid of NHS ASSETS. Ergo privatisation that YOU ARE OAYING FOR.

It's incredible the lack of media attention this is getting. Possibly because nobody has bothered to look up what the naylor report was when she said on TV she was backinrgb the plans.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that you're different from what you claim to fear. You've shown that you're perfectly able to make all too-quick assumptions about people you've never met and group people together into cliched little boxes based on the smallest of evidence, taken out of context (has the one who asked about IRA terrorism served in N.Ireland? Lost a loved one?) and a readiness to dismiss the things that they consider to be important questions because it doesn't fit with your political outlook.

Yes, of course you've got a point, and indeed I know a few blokes who look a bit like those in the picture I posted whom I think of as genuinely lovely guys (including some who are quite right wing). I also accept that, like many (most?) humans, I do form quick judgements based on what people look like, their demeanour and behaviour. There are actually good evolutionary reasons for forming those judgements (there may not always be time to safely find out enough about someone's underlying psychology, intentions and background to form a more reasoned and balanced judgement....). Sometimes I make an effort not to do that, sometimes I don't. And perhaps, in an ideal world, I should be more willing to put aside my superficial and visceral spontaneous aversion to a certain type of burly, finger-jabbing, red-faced angry man of a certain age (.. although it's not entirely irrational as a first-line response; I've met enough of them over the years - and it's served me well enough in avoiding trouble at away matches at Millwall, Palace and elsewhere....). I also accept that there are contextual reasons which explain why someone may hold a view, or adopt behaviours that I find repugnant - knowing that those reasons exist, however, doesn't mean I have to like them or respect (what I see as) their repugnant views or behaviours.
However, and this was the (not entirely serious) point of my original post, I did get the strong impression that the most aggressive questioners laying into JC were all of a certain type, whereas a lot of the other questioners: many of the women, the Sikh chap, the youngsters (even some of the toffy, right wing ones with whom I also disagreed) ... just seemed a bit... nicer or gentler... And actually, whilst I don't buy into the full range of JC's policies by any means, that's one aspect of his style, which does appeal to me and I hope that it does possibly reflect a new direction in politics (and yes, I know he has some aggressive, unpleasant supporters, who indulge in anti-semitic and other bullying etc, and I'm wholly opposed to all of that for what it's worth, not least because is inconsistent with what I believe he really is arguing for).

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
7 opinion polls due this evening from 5pm ish, [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] will be in a FRENZY of excitement

Hardly a frenzy... more enjoying a nice glass of Merlot while cooking Mrs T's tea... has anyone posted this one yet?

Westminster voting intention (ComRes/Sunday Mirror):

CON: 47% (+1)
LAB: 35% (+1)
LDEM: 8% (-)
UKIP: 4% (-)
GRN: 1% (-)

(via @ComRes / 31 May - 02 June)

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Hardly a frenzy... more enjoying a nice glass of Merlot while cooking Mrs T's tea... has anyone posted this one yet?

Westminster voting intention (ComRes/Sunday Mirror):

CON: 47% (+1)
LAB: 35% (+1)
LDEM: 8% (-)
UKIP: 4% (-)
GRN: 1% (-)

(via @ComRes / 31 May - 02 June)

Not yet because it's only just been released.

I wouldn't get too excited though. ComRes inflate the Conservative lead by using a turnout model based on the 2015 GE. Given the vastly different dynamics of this election, I can't see that being correct.

Several more polls due out today. Don't worry, there will be no selective posting of polls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here