Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Lawks a lordy, soon everyday words and phrases such as "Long time, no see", "Uppity", "Sold Down the River" and "No Can Do" will be analysed, root meanings offered and subsquently banned too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder when 'Elephant in the Room' will somehow become identified as an expression from the Days of the British Raj and a deeply offensive racist term punishable by instant dismissal!

Er, never?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah, but not to that extreme. Everything we say and do is on a spectrum, that one is right out there.

For a politician, who should be acutely aware of what they're saying and the potential impact, you're probably right. If my recently-departed 95 year-old grandmother said it, I wouldn't have batted much of an eyelid.......

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
How's it going over here, country still up the swanny?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Context is always important. In the introduction to his book "It's A PC World" Edward Stourton writes about a retired General using the same phrase when Stourton was interviewing him about Iraq on the 'Today Programme' about a decade ago. He explains his shock at the interviewee's use of the phrase, but states that he didn't think that the former General was a racist, saying that:

"He had, I calculated, simply forgotten himself in the odd intimacy of a radio interview over the telephone and used an expression which - however offensive it may sound today - had once been relatively commonplace in certain circles, military ones undoubtedly included."

It could be argued that a white middle class male like Stourton may more easily excuse or forgive the General's use of the phrase, having never himself been on the receiving end of the word. However, Stourton raises the example in a comparison with an outright bigoted statement made to him by the Queen Mother some years earlier and suggests that his book seeks to 'navigate the waters' between the two. Stourton's point is also based on fact. The phrase was commonplace in certain circles historically and may have been part of the vocabulary of a retired General who used it without first considering the impact of his choice of metaphor.

The context of Anne Marie Morris's use of the phrase is slightly different. She is not a retired General. She is a politician. A politician who has previously worked in marketing and law. As a careful choice of language is key to her current and both of her previous careers, perhaps it is less forgivable for her to be making the same mistake a decade later, a decade that she has spent the majority of as an MP. Putting aside the further complexity caused by her position as somebody elected to represent a community of people, it could be argued that she made the error in the same way that Stourton interpreted the General to have done. She used a racist term, but did not intend to be racist.

This, to me, is actually more worrying. If her slip is to be considered in the same light, we would essentially be saying that she cannot be held too accountable for using racist language, because she has moved in circles where racist language is commonplace. Those circles seem to involve Conservative Associations and gatherings of Conservative Party representatives and members. The response from those who witnessed it live also seems to have been markedly different to that that has been forthcoming now that the facts are publicised. This could suggest that she has been sanctioned, not because she is an elected official who has failed to show an understanding of why certain language can hurt, or more importantly, create barriers to equal opportunity, but instead because of the embarrassment that the publicity has caused her party.

Or as everyone's favourite liberal elite, Guardian reading funnyman Stewart Lee, put it: "If political correctness has achieved one thing, it's to make the Conservative Party cloak its inherent racism behind more creative language."

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
For a politician, who should be acutely aware of what they're saying and the potential impact, you're probably right. If my recently-departed 95 year-old grandmother said it, I wouldn't have batted much of an eyelid.......

Certainly - I was at our neighbours, 82 year old said something inappropriate but yeah there's a time to try and change people's outlook!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Context is always important. In the introduction to his book "It's A PC World" Edward Stourton writes about a retired General using the same phrase when Stourton was interviewing him about Iraq on the 'Today Programme' about a decade ago. He explains his shock at the interviewee's use of the phrase, but states that he didn't think that the former General was a racist, saying that:

"He had, I calculated, simply forgotten himself in the odd intimacy of a radio interview over the telephone and used an expression which - however offensive it may sound today - had once been relatively commonplace in certain circles, military ones undoubtedly included."

It could be argued that a white middle class male like Stourton may more easily excuse or forgive the General's use of the phrase, having never himself been on the receiving end of the word. However, Stourton raises the example in a comparison with an outright bigoted statement made to him by the Queen Mother some years earlier and suggests that his book seeks to 'navigate the waters' between the two. Stourton's point is also based on fact. The phrase was commonplace in certain circles historically and may have been part of the vocabulary of a retired General who used it without first considering the impact of his choice of metaphor.

The context of Anne Marie Morris's use of the phrase is slightly different. She is not a retired General. She is a politician. A politician who has previously worked in marketing and law. As a careful choice of language is key to her current and both of her previous careers, perhaps it is less forgivable for her to be making the same mistake a decade later, a decade that she has spent the majority of as an MP. Putting aside the further complexity caused by her position as somebody elected to represent a community of people, it could be argued that she made the error in the same way that Stourton interpreted the General to have done. She used a racist term, but did not intend to be racist.

This, to me, is actually more worrying. If her slip is to be considered in the same light, we would essentially be saying that she cannot be held too accountable for using racist language, because she has moved in circles where racist language is commonplace. Those circles seem to involve Conservative Associations and gatherings of Conservative Party representatives and members. The response from those who witnessed it live also seems to have been markedly different to that that has been forthcoming now that the facts are publicised. This could suggest that she has been sanctioned, not because she is an elected official who has failed to show an understanding of why certain language can hurt, or more importantly, create barriers to equal opportunity, but instead because of the embarrassment that the publicity has caused her party.

Or as everyone's favourite liberal elite, Guardian reading funnyman Stewart Lee, put it: "If political correctness has achieved one thing, it's to make the Conservative Party cloak its inherent racism behind more creative language."

I agree with this. To use the phrase is bad enough, but to use it incorrectly to describe something that is obvious as something that is concealed makes her look a fool on two counts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has she resigned from parliament yet?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree with this. To use the phrase is bad enough, but to use it incorrectly to describe something that is obvious as something that is concealed makes her look a fool on two counts.

Yes - that.

'Fly in the ointment' would have worked better, and avoided all the fuss.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes - that.

'Fly in the ointment' would have worked better, and avoided all the fuss.

No Brexit deal a 'fly in the ointment', i.e. a minor irritation that is spoiling something positive or enjoyable? I think not.

What this shows is that we need a new phrase to replace 'n*****r in the woodpile' - maybe 'combustible cladding on the tower block'?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And Redwood and Cash too should be sacked for not apologising there and then

should MPs always apologise for anything insulting or offensive said in their presence, or resign? i imagine that would be a problem for a lot of MPs. be careful with those stones.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
should MPs always apologise for anything insulting or offensive said in their presence, or resign? i imagine that would be a problem for a lot of MPs. be careful with those stones.

If I was in a position where a friend or colleague acted inappropriately and offended people I'd certainly apologise. It's simply the decent thing to do.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
When you hear offensive racist language and do nothing you are unfit to hold public office

What about an MP currently in a very prominent position who called for Insurrection against the democratically elected government?

What about an MP supporting the view that the Jewish State should be moved to the US?

Or a person who says our two main political parties are controlled by Israel?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here