Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just more insults.....again. You had better hope that you are on the winning team, cos if you ain't then it is coming back you in spadefuls.
Oh and I highly doubt the greens will win so you better go buy a new spade [emoji106]

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He's got a bloke coming around to fix is oven. We all know how debilitating and disabling this is :lolol:

Ah, so it's not drunkenness, the poor soul is actually starving and it's scrambled his brain :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Owen Jones who broke the story (by dint of having received an email) actually summed her up an hour before he broke it (and I'm no Owen Jones fan).

[TWEET]870357313638604800[/TWEET]

It is just getting WEIRD. It's like she considers herself above debate.

I really don't know what the tactic is here. Is it to somehow make the Europeans think she's some kind of Supreme Leader, above any contact with those she considers beneath her? It it to try and make Corbyn hang himself while she plays it safe, the poker equivalent of folding and hoping your opponent doesn't hit that flush they're drawing on? Or are they playing such a calculated game that they they are aiming to increase their majority in just such a small enough manner that Corbyn stays in charge of Labour and they have a supposedly clear run in 2022, when they run a proper campaign again? Just typing that sounded bonkers. I may be needing a tin foil hat.

Or could it be that the powers that be at Tory HQ have given up on mainstream campaigning all together and are now letting the social media and internet advertising of companies like Cambridge Analytica do all the work for them, given how influential they were in Brexit and Trump. Why bother talking to a local radio DJ or participating in a debate when a shady, billionairre owned psychology tech company can do all the work for you. Here they'd still have to be gambling that oldies, less likely to use tech. would vote for them anyway and that the under 30s won't bother turning up.

It's fascinating. But not in a good way.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Owen Jones who broke the story (by dint of having received an email) actually summed her up an hour before he broke it (and I'm no Owen Jones fan).

[TWEET]870357313638604800[/TWEET]

It is just getting WEIRD. It's like she considers herself above debate.

I really don't know what the tactic is here. Is it to somehow make the Europeans think she's some kind of Supreme Leader, above any contact with those she considers beneath her? It it to try and make Corbyn hang himself while she plays it safe, the poker equivalent of folding and hoping your opponent doesn't hit that flush they're drawing on? Or are they playing such a calculated game that they they are aiming to increase their majority in just such a small enough manner that Corbyn stays in charge of Labour and they have a supposedly clear run in 2022, when they run a proper campaign again? Just typing that sounded bonkers. I may be needing a tin foil hat.

Or could it be that the powers that be at Tory HQ have given up on mainstream campaigning all together and are now letting the social media and internet advertising of companies like Cambridge Analytica do all the work for them, given how influential they were in Brexit and Trump. Why bother talking to a local radio DJ or participating in a debate when a shady, billionairre owned psychology tech company can do all the work for you. Here they'd still have to be gambling that oldies, less likely to use tech. would vote for them anyway and that the under 30s won't bother turning up.

It's fascinating. But not in a good way.

It could be that. Or her bottle's gone.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
My nans house had to be sold to pay for her nursing care, and whatever was left was subject to inheritance tax, that was under The Labour Party. So please let's stop this BS that somehow having to pay for your nursing care is something new.

Agreed it's not new and is abhorrent BUT the Tories are proposing to take it to a new level of abhorrentness and it is that policy that has moved me from voting Tory this time to voting who I think will best represent my area.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Haven't really joined in the debates in this election but she'll walk it.

I'm REALLY pissed off with Labour in Brighton Pavilion as they've decided not to contest the seat. I haven't heard anything to the contrary so I'm guessing that at least they've bothered to put up a paper candidate (so we can vote FOR something as opposed to just against the Tories), but they've done zero campaigning - I don't even know the candidate's name. Had two separate visits from the Greens and loads of their literature, but being Brexit Old Labour (quite an oddity in Brighton) I don't see the Greens as an acceptable substitute.

Solomon Curtis - http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news/st-leonards-student-s-bid-to-become-an-mp-1-7936931

I remember him when he was a kid. He's basically standing just to get work experience at it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Ah, so it's not drunkenness, the poor soul is actually starving and it's scrambled his brain :lol:

I am fully lucid.

My thinking reflects the same thinking as Corbyn and May who also recognise what was voted for.
They are also seeking( because of what was voted for in the referendum vote) an end of free movement and out of being members of the single market.

Happy days.
The people that didnt know what was voted for are in a tiny tiny majority

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
They're just trying to maximize the chances of winning.

Everything she does results in less people likely to vote tory.

It makes sense to keep her locked up for a week.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Could be! :lolol:

There are other things though. The fact the manifesto seems to be deliberately uncosted and barely ever referred to (and that it included fox hunting). The fact that they spent weeks churning out the "strong and stable" mantra to the point where it was a national joke within days and now seem determined to act all weak and wobbly (itself becoming a catch phrase). That they make Amber Rudd face the public just after being bereaved. That all they can say over and over again is "Brexit".

If she wasn't competing with Corbyn and Farron she'd be dead and buried already. I'd certainly agree with whoever it was that says it shows what a lack of talent there is at the top of politics. Michel Barnier must be laughing in to his Crozes-Hermitage

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So that is a no then. All the data I have seen shows Labour to be better with finances than the conservatives. So I fail to understand how people think otherwise.

All this quoting the IFS, if you go on the IFS website, you can also read how they equally slam Tory policies, that the cut to corporation tax won't stimulate the predicted growth and will cost £19bn in lost revenue in the short term. The IFC is equally critical of both parties approaches on their economic projects.

Simply put, these are projections. The only way a rise in corporation tax doesn't work is if it genuinely slows the economy down, and that might not be the case. The only way a cut works if is growth is sufficiently stimulated by that for revenues to substantially increase to cover the cut.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks to the Tories my daughter is going to get 30 hours of free child care a week from Jan. Enables me to go and find some extra work. Win Win situation.

It's not a win/win. Mrs W used to work at a nursery group as the Marketing Manager - it was under the Labour government. Anyway, despite being a privately owned company, they along with all other nurseries were forced to provide places for people using the 'free' child care allowance. The government covered about 60% of the cost of the place and then the nursery had to cover the other 40% ( I can't remember the exact figures ). Ed Balls visited the group shortly after the government had lowered the amount they were paying per place. The MD challenged Ed Balls as to why the nursery should have to find yet more money to cover these places. Balls answer ? "Tough, make some savings". Two months later 12 workers across the group were claiming JSA.

So the policy is not a win / win - it loses people their jobs and increases the benefits bill. But just as long as parents (many who have CHOOSEN) get some free childcare they don't give a toss about the fallout.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Could be! :lolol:

There are other things though. The fact the manifesto seems to be deliberately uncosted and barely ever referred to (and that it included fox hunting). The fact that they spent weeks churning out the "strong and stable" mantra to the point where it was a national joke within days and now seem determined to act all weak and wobbly (itself becoming a catch phrase). That they make Amber Rudd face the public just after being bereaved. That all they can say over and over again is "Brexit".

If she wasn't competing with Corbyn and Farron she'd be dead and buried already. I'd certainly agree with whoever it was that says it shows what a lack of talent there is at the top of politics. Michel Barnier must be laughing in to his Crozes-Hermitage

If they’re genuinely trying to throw the election I would expect some kind of major gaff/sleaze/corruption to come out before next Thursday. Otherwise, if things stay the way they are, they run the risk of winning!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

... or she wants to lose.

I remember seeing that a week or so ago and thought it was a joke: I'm not so sure now, it sounds far-fetched and from the realms of fiction, but then the whole campaign has been.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Apparently Theresa May has refused to appear on @BBCRadio4's Woman's Hour tomorrow morning. She is sending Justine Greening instead. :lolol:

Attachments

• Bricks-it.jpg
    Bricks-it.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 106

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quite something that given this disastrous Tory campaign, May is still the better side of 1/4 to be the next Prime Minister and the Tories are 1/10 to have the most seats.

Just think what could have happened if Labour had sorted themselves out before this election.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Corbyn - No way.
May - Brexit too hard.

So it's Farron for me, sort of by default.

Indeed, just donated (neck and neck with the Tories on my patch)

So get a great deal for Britain that's equal or better than what we have right now

Put it to the public

If its not a great deal they can decide their UK's future not a bunch of MP's weighted towards Labour or Tory

Common sense to me over what is a massive decision.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here