Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
"I will give you my idea of the answers, again I don't know how these things work, these are my opinions".

I prefer facts, we have seen post Brexit how opinions have gone. I can argue against your opinion, but no point really.

""how would you keep up housing and infrastructure with immigration larger than Brighton and Hove put TOGETHER ie 330,000 + A YEAR as was?"......Well?"

You still won’t answer?

Fair enough, you obviously don’t have to, bit of a shame though.

I won’t answer your question then, on the basis it would just be my opinion (which you don't like, despite dishing them out constantly) and not a factual answer.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Given you're location is listed as Hove your sureness could well be somewhat misplaced. Has the Tories stood Graham Cox again then I might agree but the Tory that has been put up is awful and Kyle has a proven track record.
My NSC location is out of date, my constituency is now West Worthing with over a 50% Tory vote.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I share your misgivings about Corbyn, but if the "reasonable person" vote in Hove is split then there is a high risk that the Tory candidate will get in, despite her being from a loony Christian church and refusing to say if she voted Leave. Peter Kyle is a very good MP and no friend of Corbyn's and so he definitely gets my vote.

Would you lend the same analysis to a Muslim candidate .........

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You still won’t answer?

Fair enough, you obviously don’t have to, bit of a shame though.

I won’t answer your question then, on the basis it would just be my opinion (which you don't like, despite dishing them out constantly) and not a factual answer.

Fair enough, at least my question was based on figures/facts, yours was just predictions based on your opinions, the same as mine would have been.......and predicting "five years" ahead......really.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
So nothing used in the attacks in Botswana were UK produced or supplied? The SA authorities didn't use Land Rovers or any UK equipment when dropping bombs? Fascinating. What did the Rhodesians use in Lesoma when they killed 15 BDF boys? I 'aint a leftie, incidentally I lived there.

Moving the parameters a bit now,aren't you?You were slagging off the Tories for selling arms to South Africa when they couldn't have as it was under UN embargo,so you've moved on to Rhodesia.As I remember,Rhodesia was also under an arms embargo from when
it declared independence in the '60's.Most weapons used in Rhodesia and South Africa were either manufactured in house,imported
from Israel,or captured Russian,Chinese,or Cuban.Never heard of ARMSCOR?

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
It doesn't really matter who is embarrassed or whether 15-20 % will make people feel vindicated or not. The whole issue has been used like many others just to score points. It's just not realistic to think that banks will relocate en Masse to a high tax and regulation country like France. Quite apart from anything else it would involve persuading people to relocate their families. Persuading a few people to become expats is one thing but a whole workforce of high earners ? It's a ridiculous idea but it was repeated ad infinitum last year by people with no knowledge of the City just so they could win an argument on the internet.

Hold on, isn't this the same scare tactic being used by the right if Corbyn gets his way with corporation tax?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My hope here is that if (and its a big if) labour got to form a government that corbyn realises the need to have a wider balance in cabinet. He appears to have learnt from his early leader days where he was frankly awful at handling talented people with different opinions.

This does mean that people like abbott who have been loyal to corbyn but have risen up the ranks based on others resigning, may get a lower role in government

??? what shows that he has learnt anything? he is "protected" by Momentum group and will probably be steered heavily by them in any appointments. they'd see a result for Labour as a massive vindication for their agenda. there is so little hope that he could hold together a coalition of SNP and his own PLP that we'd be having another election very soon.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
She says she healed someone's deafness by channelling the power of prayer through her hands.

I'm not sure her chosen religion is the 'loony' bit...

You're kidding me, all religions make the wildest most fantasist claims, a simple healing of someones deafness is one of the more understated claims, nearly middle of the road stuff.

Personally I wouldnt vote for anyone that proclaims their religion overly important, but then again it seems we are barred from being challenging or ridiculing towards Islam whereas Christianity seems fair game, some earlier this week even citing that it should be considered racists to do it.

I was just pointing out the absurdity and 'pick and mix' mentality of those posters that flippantly dismiss and challenge some religions and its followers whilst imploring us to be respectful to another.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Moving the parameters a bit now,aren't you?You were slagging off the Tories for selling arms to South Africa when they couldn't have as it was under UN embargo,so you've moved on to Rhodesia.As I remember,Rhodesia was also under an arms embargo from when
it declared independence in the '60's.Most weapons used in Rhodesia and South Africa were either manufactured in house,imported
from Israel,or captured Russian,Chinese,or Cuban.Never heard of ARMSCOR?

True. The legacy of the Carlton Conference, British finance and The UK not imposing punitive sanctions helped them no end after that though. Horrible place apartheid South Africa - even David Cameron went for a jolly down there in 1989.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Hold on, isn't this the same scare tactic being used by the right if Corbyn gets his way with corporation tax?

Yes it is but I am talking about large numbers of high earners whereas the Corporation Tax argument is about capital. A rise in UK corporation tax will not cause movement of either to France of all places but it may see capital move to
lower tax regimes that also have cheap Labour. It's two different Labour markets.
Macron is attempting to change these parameters by diluting French Labour law. Many have conveniently forgotten he is a right winger so guess we will need to watch this space.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
I'm usually a Tory, and I'm wavering based on this campaign and manifesto of there's. I won't vote Corbyn's rabble, and I'm pro Brexit so I won't vote Lib Dem. But I'm in no way what so ever enthused about voting Tory.

The thing that gets me about this Tory campaign, is that they seemingly learned nothing from the Brexit vote.

Remain lost that vote because all they could do was point the finger at the other side and shout 'danger, doom, everything will fall apart unless you vote for us'. That allowed Leave to basically set the pace of the debate, come up with all the ideas, get people taking about their ides, generating all the positivity, and left the Remain campaign constantly scrambling for anything good to say about their campaign. Remain didn't have any new ideas, they were always reactive not proactive, and they were just the preservation of the supposed safe status quo.

Exactly the same has happened here for the Tories and May. All the Tories have done is point the finger at Labour and shout danger and doom. Their manifesto has nothing positive or bright in it. Labour have been free to come up with all the ideas and set the tone of the debate. It's the Tories who've been reactive not proactive. The Tories have banked everything on the preservation of the supposed safe status quo. The electorate already rejected the status quo once in favour of a gamble, the Tories seemingly forgot about that.

May was of course part of the Remain campaign technically. I wonder if that's a coincidence, or if she really has just learned nothing.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'm usually a Tory, and I'm wavering based on this campaign and manifesto of there's. I won't vote Corbyn's rabble, and I'm pro Brexit so I won't vote Lib Dem. But I'm in no way what so ever enthused about voting Tory.

The thing that gets me about this Tory campaign, is that they seemingly learned nothing from the Brexit vote.

Remain lost that vote because all they could do was point the finger at the other side and shout 'danger, doom, everything will fall apart unless you vote for us'. That allowed Leave to basically set the pace of the debate, come up with all the ideas, get people taking about their ides, generating all the positivity, and left the Remain campaign constantly scrambling for anything good to say about their campaign. Remain didn't have any new ideas, they were always reactive not proactive, and they were just the preservation of the supposed safe status quo.

Exactly the same has happened here for the Tories and May. All the Tories have done is point the finger at Labour and shout danger and doom. Their manifesto has nothing positive or bright in it. Labour have been free to come up with all the ideas and set the tone of the debate. It's the Tories who've been reactive not proactive. The Tories have banked everything on the preservation of the supposed safe status quo. The electorate already rejected the status quo once in favour of a gamble, the Tories seemingly forgot about that.

May was of course part of the Remain campaign technically. I wonder if that's a coincidence, or if she really has just learned nothing.

A good post and much strikes a chord with me.
My concern all along as Brexit voter is which party would/will handle it the best. TBH none of them really, but Labour would be terrible imo, Liberals no way etc etc. So the Tories are the best we have.
May never really asked to be leader, she is not a very good speaker really, but i think she has the UK's best interests at heart, Corbyn, well he is far from trustworthy on patriotism imo.

Talking of May as speaker, oh and Abbott. Sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56QHAGsBjEY

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't vote for May. She's woeful.

I could vote for Corbyn, but I can't vote for a party that would include the likes of Abbott and McDonnell, both of whom seem utterly incompetent, in the make up of its cabinet. I am also concerned about the vast amounts of money that Labour wish to borrow and have doubts about how they could finance the "free everything" spree being promised.

So, almost by default, I expect to be voting Lib Dem. Again though, it's a real shame that Nick Clegg is not their main man for this election as I have a huge amount of time for him.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
New poll:

CON: 48% (+1)
LAB: 33% (-)
LDEM: 7% (-)
UKIP: 4% (-1)
GRN: 2% (-1)

(via @PanelbaseMD / 19 - 23 May)

This poll appears at first sight to buck the trend of a narrowing Conservative lead, showing a slight increase since the last one we released, but that is a product of changes to our approach. Like for like, the gap would actually have narrowed by 6%. We will be releasing another poll in the next day or two and early indications are that it will show a further narrowing of the Con-Lab gap.

http://www.panelbase.com/media/polls/W10470w5SundayTimestablesforpublication230517.pdf

Note the date of the Panelbase fieldwork as well - 19-23 May. We know the picture is different since then.

ComRes, Panelbase an ICM now all using methodologies that are heavily weighted towards the Conservatives. Other pollsters are not. Which ones are the most accurate remains to be seen.

The YouGov prediction of a potential hung parliament was based on the most extensive fieldwork to date.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Scottish Westminster voting intention:

SNP: 43%
CON: 25%
LAB: 25%
LDEM: 5%

(via @IpsosMORI / 22 - 27 May)

SNP going to lose some seats. Labour recovering slightly in Scotland.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here