Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's confounded critics and run an impressive campaign which offered a real choice. You have to respect that.

But then as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] points out, he's just lost an election to the most arrogant lazy Tory campaign we have and will ever see, probably because of his alienating of the centre and right of his party. He certainly deserves to keep his job if he can build bridges in his own party and reel in the centre left.

If he can heal the PLP, that some of his big hitting MPs like Ummuna join the shadow cabinet on the evidence of this vote and Corbyn's performance, then Labour could go into any future election from a very strong base.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Before I get abuse can I say I didn't vote for either of the main parties.
Look I understand why May is getting grief and rightly so but why is Corbyn being so lauded since the bottom line is he increased his vote but still did not win and thats the objective. Chances are we limp along with this government propped up by others until later in the year.
And why are people saying it's wrong for May to govern when she doesn't have a mandate and yet labour says it would ok for them to do so when they have less seats and percentage of vote.
Answer please with no abuse.

Corbyn is lauded and his supporters are feeling like this is a victory because the odds were, literally, stacked against him. He achieved what he did in the face of personal attacks across the board. May, at a time when she still claims that we should be focussing on Brexit called an election completely out of self interest, she took a gamble and it backfired big style. Remember this isn't just the reaction of Labour supporters, this is the media, the pundits, pretty much everyone.

Some will say this is a Tory victory, I suggest they listen to the tories on the radio and tv, watch their faces and body language and then tell me it feels like a 'win'. You must remember that the best some of us were hoping for was to limit the size of the majority so I'm sure I don't just speak for myself when I say this is a fantastic result.

Hope that helps.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's confounded critics and run an impressive campaign which offered a real choice. You have to respect that.

But then as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] points out, he's just lost an election to the most arrogant lazy Tory campaign we have and will ever see, probably because of his alienating of the centre and right of his party. He certainly deserves to keep his job if he can build bridges in his own party and reel in the centre left.

Look I understand why May is getting grief and rightly so but why is Corbyn being so lauded since the bottom line is he increased his vote but still did not win and thats the objective.

Corbyn looks like he's going to take 41% of the vote - that's better than Blair in 2001 and 2005. He's also increased his party's share of the vote by around 30% I'm not sure that many leaders of any party have done better. It seems remarkably churlish to say that he didn't win.

I remember seeing several people on here (and in other places) saying that Labour was finished as a party. I remember after the last election I confidently predicted that the swing needed by Labour was so great that it couldn't possibly win and won struggle to make it a hung parliament - that went out of the window. It's an incredible result for Corbyn, he may not have won but he's shaken politics up.

Criticising him for not winning is a bit like criticising Hughton for not taking the Albion into the play-offs in 2014/15 - he had a lot to turn round.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Look I understand why May is getting grief and rightly so but why is Corbyn being so lauded since the bottom line is he increased his vote but still did not win and thats the objective. Chances are we limp along with this government propped up by others until later in the year.
And why are people saying it's wrong for May to govern when she doesn't have a mandate and yet labour says it would ok for them to do so when they have less seats and percentage of vote.

Because we have a FPTP system which means small changes in voting patterns can have large consequences. If we had a system that reflected votes cast, the parties would have to grow up and learn to work together, rather than continue this ridiculous punch and Judy system. (Is ridiculous abuse ?)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The thing that is coming across to me is firstly that Jezza and Labour are celebtrating defeat like a victory, yet at he same time the negative culture on some media is awful. Not worried about their own party, people seem more concerned about the fate of their opponents.

Aside from the pound being fecked due to uncertainty and a Brexit that will cost a lot more, what has changed?

A government majority?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Getting irritated by this self congratulation of the youth vote. Where were they last year on an ultimately more important long term matter?! We'd be in a much better position if they'd bothered then.

I agree, but I'd like to hope that going forward there'll be more engagement with and from younger voters.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Mainly because we were repeatedly told that he was a disaster for Labour and May would win a landslide of Blair proportions. She believed that and came a cropper when he massively outperformed her over the past 6 weeks.
He does deserve some credit for his performances and for a result that virtually no one believed possible, even when the exit poll predicted it. Fair play to him, but I'm happy that it wasn't an even better result for him.
Let's see how he does in mending fences inside Labour. If he can do that then he may even start to look like a credible PM by the time the inevitable election re-run occurs in the late autumn...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sorry describing something insidous as a cancer, isn't demeaning to terminally ill. It is widely used phrase to emphasise the wickedness of something. Reading that comment as an insensitve swipe at terminally ill (where does he mention terminally ill?) is frankly, either ignorant or sour grapes.

Quite. If you look it up in the dictionary, aside from its medical term, it is also "an evil or destructive practice or phenomenon that is hard to contain or eradicate." and this is clearly the context in which Colossal Squid used the term.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Getting irritated by this self congratulation of the youth vote. Where were they last year on an ultimately more important long term matter?! We'd be in a much better position if they'd bothered then.

I thought it was their prerogative to not be bothered and turn up late. Lesson learnt for once.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It is a thing of temporary, as all things are really, pleasure. I just hope that people are a tad tired now of how this has to be a time of suffering, that hope is beyond us and undeserved, that it's a time for ruthlessness and misery.
Saying that, the anxious part of me dreads the increase in bile and hatred that the Tories will produce to undermine the opposition, rather than just bring about moderate change with even a slither of a heartpiece. Ah frig it, i'll remain pleased that the party that stands for so much of what I oppose took a jab to its flustered gut, if not a knockout blow.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
A bit of haggling here and there......as you were.

Tories will still be the lead in our Brexit, just needing to grease a few palms along the way.
The problem is that those palms belong to the DUP...I can't see the parliamentary Conservative Party putting up with them calling the shots for very long. Another election beckons

larus

The massive swing to oust Kirby in Kemptown, along with big majorities for Kyle in Hove and the excellent Dr Lucas in Pavilion means our city is finally free of any shred of unwelcome Tory rule.

Can't tell you how proud it makes me.

We're a PREMIER LEAGUE city with progressive governance.

We fought the bad guys and we won.

Well done everyone

Congratulations on your party of choice coming SECOND in the national election.

Bear in mind that Corbyn fought a good campaign and the Tories fought a disastrous one with a PM who totally lacks charisma, yet you still only managed to come SECOND.

Must be a remnant of the old ways of teaching: it's not the winning that matters, it's the taking part. Everyone's a winner eh :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here