Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I know JITW and he's sensible. My PhD student, a lifelong tory voter (in her short life, admittedly) told me today she's voting labour. It seems that although we can't rerun the referendum, people feel we can take revenge. And this is despite everything (the shadow home secretary in particular). May has misjudged the electrorate. Back to Brexit, we are up against the entire rest of them over there. They may take pity on us, but would you, seriously? We have behaved like children, and we will get a smack before bedtime, not a warm drink, a cuddle and a story :shrug::(:nono:

Using aviation as an example, because JITW likes to go on about it. Too many powerful people will lose a lot of money if planes aren't allowed to land in the UK because of a certificate. If that even becomes a remote possibly the money men will flex their muscle and force the politicians to come up with a solution, even if it's temporary. Politicians don't rule the world, money does.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
[tweet]872212742186389506[/tweet]

Gotta love the Daily Mail. Can't expect much better from them, I suppose.

It's the coverage of the mail and sun that make me so proud of the campaign my party has run. They probably won't win of course but in the face of this pathetic coverage, they've done an amazing job.

On the subjective point - You know the Mail et all would like to return to Thatcherite approach to terrorism and we all know how well that went. About as well as May's latest sledgehammer tactics.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Using aviation as an example, because JITW likes to go on about it. Too many powerful people will lose a lot of money if planes aren't allowed to land in the UK because of a certificate. If that even becomes a remote possibly the money men will flex their muscle and force the politicians to come up with a solution, even if it's temporary. Politicians don't rule the world, money does.

Fantastic. The landscape after Brexit (if 'hard') will be dictated by the money men. You are probably correct. That's the problem.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This is new ground, an exciting time, unchartered waters so to go into it with a negative approach where nobody, I repeat nobody knows the outcome appears to some as short-sighted and narrow minded. An opportunity some call it.

Exciting and an opportunity, indeed.

Just think if Mrs May walks away with no deal and therefore we have to trade with the rest of the world under WT terms. Tariffs on exports and imports are applied, but this is where the excitement and opportunity arises.

WT terms are not just tariffs but they involve quotas, and guess what the UKs quota comes under the umbrella of the EUs quota, therefore what quota applies to the UK once it is fully divorced from the EU. No one knows, so we may not even be able to trade with the rest of the world as we have no quota, and how long will this take to resolve, what fun and a great opportunity to be able to set our new quota,

Roll on 2019

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
So the baby boomers deserved stuff because the generation before them fought in a war? What an odd view. I thought that the NHS etc was born out of ideas regarding social justice not as recompense for relatives dying in world war 2.

Snowflakes is such an odd insult. There are plenty of labels that could be thrown at the older generation but there's little point.

You just sound like the "in my day" Monty python sketch.

I don't get why we shouldn't be making things easier for the next generation. That's certainly what I do for my kids and help them as much as i can. There's only one life and I want them to enjoy it as much as possible.

Yep. Wellthickwoody strikes again.
Talks about his own life as if that was the case for everyone in the country and assumes that the youth of today are all clearing off to Vegas and driving around in 20k cars.
It is so far from the truth it's incredible.
Narrow minded numb nuts.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The right wing tax haven press are so desperate for a dictatorship. Shame so many ignorant voters will pander to it. The lack of empathy in this country depresses me.
Better start saving up your pennies for a doctors appointment, as the (Tory drooled) Naylor report will kill the NHS.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The right wing tax haven press are so desperate for a dictatorship. Shame so many ignorant voters will pander to it. The lack of empathy in this country depresses me.
Better start saving up your pennies for a doctors appointment, as the (Tory drooled) Naylor report will kill the NHS.
Today's Mail and Express headlines have shown a new level of desperation and bitterness today. Almost libel in fact. But, they will get away with it as usual.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Spot on glad some on here are seeing through all this for what it is, a desperate attempt by May to gain a late advantage with nationalistic rectoric to appeal to the ignoramuses. Her Brexit plans in this area won't make us safer with restricted access to key information on European databases. Clegg hits the nail on the head

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/electi...evidence-human-rights-laws-undermine-security

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Exciting and an opportunity, indeed.

Just think if Mrs May walks away with no deal and therefore we have to trade with the rest of the world under WT terms. Tariffs on exports and imports are applied, but this is where the excitement and opportunity arises.

WT terms are not just tariffs but they involve quotas, and guess what the UKs quota comes under the umbrella of the EUs quota, therefore what quota applies to the UK once it is fully divorced from the EU. No one knows, so we may not even be able to trade with the rest of the world as we have no quota, and how long will this take to resolve, what fun and a great opportunity to be able to set our new quota,

Roll on 2019

No deal isn't an option

Notice the Tories still aren't talking about the economy in this election. OK, understandably security has been high everyone's minds but they've avoided it for 6 weeks, Labour pretty much the same.

Meanwhile er have staggering growth of just 0.2% in last quarter, 3 months of falling house prices in a row, rising inflation and falling living standards. This election was supposed to be all about Brexit, but its the elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Feel free to quote the bits that are untrue.

We can start with the Mail headline, I cannot be bothered to read beyond the first lie.

Maybe it should read, individuals with a more enlightened approach on how to deal with terrorism? As I said earlier - The right wing media, May and many on here see only one Thatcher style blunt approach to terrorism and we know it doesn't work, has never worked and never will work. Corbyn, as many here have been only too willing to point out, was in dialogue with Sinn Fein, that's a success story not something to beat him with. Corbyn was condemning Saddam while Thatcher was selling him weapons, the Mail et al are strangely quiet about such things.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I'm entitled for wanting free healthcare, education and right to travel as my elders had?

A more understanding would consider it fair. My entitlement.

Take take take but give nothing back to the children. The children say enough is enough and say I want want what my parents have had - then they get called entitled.

You clearly don't care. Just an I'm alright jack who's had his day and not willing to let the children have their day.

You get gree healthcare. You get free education. YOu have the right to travel!!

What are you moaning about?

If you want what your parents, go and ****ing work for it, because I think you will you find your parents generation worked a lot harder than this one.

Let the Children have their day!!! Are you for real. Labour will cripple your children with more and more debt. Can people like you not understand you need to pay for things, and if you turn to the rich and screw everything out of them, they will **** off somewhere else before you can bleed them completely dry.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
So you are happy to do away with all of the following so that we can clamp down on alleged terrorists

What rights does the Human Rights Act protect?

The right to life: protects your life, by law. The State is required to investigate suspicious deaths and deaths in custody.
The prohibition of torture and inhuman treatment: you should never be tortured or treated in an inhuman or degrading way, no matter what the situation.
Protection against slavery and forced labour: you should not be treated like a slave or subjected to forced labour.
The right to liberty and freedom: you have the right to be free and the State can only imprison you with very good reason – for example, if you are convicted of a crime.
The right to a fair trial and no punishment without law: you are innocent until proven guilty. If accused of a crime, you have the right to hear the evidence against you in a court of law.
Respect for privacy and family life and the right to marry: protects against unnecessary surveillance or intrusion into your life. You have the right to marry and enjoy family relationships.
Freedom of thought, religion and belief: you can believe what you like and practise your religion or beliefs.
Free speech and peaceful protest: you have a right to speak freely and join with others peacefully, to express your views.
No discrimination: everyone’s rights are equal. You should not be treated unfairly – because, for example, of your gender, race, sexuality, religion or age.
Protection of property: protects against state interference with your possessions.
The right to an education: means that no child can be denied an education.
The right to free elections: elections must be free and fair.

So which model to you suggest we sign up to Stalin or Mao?

No not at all. Just the ones that stop us attacking against terrorists. But then I think you already knew that but had to have a comeback.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here