Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Let's face it they both lost and we have seen a shift in the will of the electorate. The question now is, is that shift sustainable and if so who can best adapt to this shift?

From where I am sitting this looks like labour at the moment.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I can't help but wonder how much effect the change in media consumption has had an effect on this election. One hopes that we are seeing the beginnings of a loosening of the stranglehold the right wing media has over the electorate.

Dec 29, 2011
I can't help but wonder how much effect the change in media consumption has had an effect on this election. One hopes that we are seeing the beginnings of a loosening of the stranglehold the right wing media has over the electorate.

A huge change, that's why many under 30 are either very left or very right wing. You have an opinion and the internet will confirm your bias. This is why a free internet is so important for our future.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I thought it was interesting on the BBC when they were taking about Corbyn holding rallys in safe labour areas and posting media of them to social media. A very canny understanding of how the battle lines have been changed I thought.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And what exactly qualifies as "child poverty"? I'll bet the parents (and probably the kids) have iphones and ipads, a massive TV in their living room and probably another in their bedroom, a couple of large dogs which cost a fortune to feed, and have found money for a couple of armfulls of tattoos ..... and then they cry "poverty".

Money for fags and don't forget the Sky tv.

The people have decided however, the first time in my life - having lived in this city for 50 years, I actually feel embarrassed. Embarrassed that Brighton & Hove with 2 Labour MPs & a Green MP is not only not reflective of Sussex, but not reflective of the country - the mess of this council Labour controlled, the tardiness of the place - Brighton & Hove has always been shabby chic- this weekend in my eyes it is plain shabby

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The people have decided however, the first time in my life - having lived in this city for 50 years, I actually feel embarrassed. Embarrassed that Brighton & Hove with 2 Labour MPs & a Green MP is not only not reflective of Sussex, but not reflective of the country - the mess of this council Labour controlled, the tardiness of the place - Brighton & Hove has always been shabby chic- this weekend in my eyes it is plain shabby

I'm quite the opposite and pleased that B&H has selected their candidates well. The only blue in this city is the Albion and long may that continue.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I can't help thinking that if Jeremy Corbyn had put as much effort into campaigning and engaging with the young in the Referendum as he did for the General Election

this country wouldn't be in the god awful mess it is in today. :shrug:

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I thought it was interesting on the BBC when they were taking about Corbyn holding rallys in safe labour areas and posting media of them to social media. A very canny understanding of how the battle lines have been changed I thought.

This must be a worry for the Tories. My Facebook feed was awash with sanctimonious Labour shares running up to the election. Basically, campaigning is now done by your mates. Vote Labour because this nurse said so. Here's a post from a teacher whose school can't afford new HB pencils. That kind of thing.

There were virtually nothing from the Tories other than the video doing the rounds of the strong and stable song which everyone took the piss out of. Like it or loath (and i loath it) it but Labour tapped into all this by luck or design and it's worked. This kind of consumption will only increase and the odd tweet from a blue rinse at Tory HQ isn't going to cut it for them. Corbyn's rallies looked impressive. Sitting in a sandwich shop with someone with a blue rosette doesn't.

My issue is that if I block anyone else on Facebook when the next election comes round it'll just be the odd picture of my mate Daves dinner once a week.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

If those people were voted in by the people of Brighton and Hove, how can they not be reflective of them?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This must be a worry for the Tories. My Facebook feed was awash with sanctimonious Labour shares running up to the election. Basically, campaigning is now done by your mates. Vote Labour because this nurse said so. Here's a post from a teacher whose school can't afford new HB pencils. That kind of thing.

There were virtually nothing from the Tories other than the video doing the rounds of the strong and stable song which everyone took the piss out of. Like it or loath (and i loath it) it but Labour tapped into all this by luck or design and it's worked. This kind of consumption will only increase and the odd tweet from a blue rinse at Tory HQ isn't going to cut it for them. Corbyn's rallies looked impressive. Sitting in a sandwich shop with someone with a blue rosette doesn't.

My issue is that if I block anyone else on Facebook when the next election comes round it'll just be the odd picture of my mate Daves dinner once a week.

Spot on. Facebook for example was absolutely full of prominent Labour (or anti Tory) stuff, but neither the Tories nor their supporters seemed to be posting anything.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

U ok hun ?

xx

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

Embarrassed ? Generation Snowflake !

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I can't help thinking that if Jeremy Corbyn had put as much effort into campaigning and engaging with the young in the Referendum as he did for the General Election

this country wouldn't be in the god awful mess it is in today. :shrug:
Or you could look at it another way and think at least Corbyn was being honest with the British people. He was sceptical remain and campaigined on that basis.

It appears that Theresa May was brexit but lied and said she was remain, then cynically exploited the vote to push her version of extreme Brexit until the electorate got in her way on Thursday.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If those people were voted in by the people of Brighton and Hove, how can they not be reflective of them?
Brighton and Hove returns progressive MP's with overwhelming majorities and that is unrepresentative.

Yet a margin of victory of 4% in the referendum apparently gave us a mandate for the most extreme Brexit imaginable.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here