Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It seems according to this document...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...nt_data/file/539465/PESA_2016_Publication.pdf

That in 2015-2016 the NI budget was £10.2 billion with a planned 2017-2018 of £10.5 billion.

I suppose a ~10% increase in budget isnt to be sniffed at especially at a rate of £1 billion/MP, although I would prefer to see the NHS budget increase from £119 billion to £120 billion.

So this GE cost the hard working tax paying electorate £10 billion pounds, shambles.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I just hope the electorate remember this when it comes to the next election, any supposed moral high ground the Cons had over Corbyns IRA links, has just disappeared.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I wonder if this extra billion (plus the 160 million the election cost) would have gone to the NHS if the Tories hadn't called this bullshit election. Proper magic money tree business.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
£1bn over two years out of a government spending total of approx £785bn a year is the equivalent of a small round of drinks to someone on an average UK wage. Hardly a big deal.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
So each and every person in the UK will be funding the Tories by £15:00 I for one is not happy supporting a Torie/DUP alliance if the Tories want it then they should foot the bill by asking their supporters to pay not in my name

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So each and every person in the UK will be funding the Tories by £15:00 I for one is not happy supporting a Torie/DUP alliance if the Tories want it then they should foot the bill by asking their supporters to pay not in my name

Just think of the savings in your pocket had she got a majority :thumbsup:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think people wil be more concerned over future issues such as Defence and Security rather than past 'who met who' events.

It's not who met who though ,is it?

It's bribing a small political party to prop up a failing Government, with public money, to mitigate a failure of strategy by the Prime Minister and her advisors. Shameful!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this sort of amount is that which is routinely dished out every budget to an area that needs a bit of love. the image of it doesnt look good, but thats how coalition governments work, trading your parliamentary vote for something for constituents. and compared to the £10bn promised to the ~500k students, looks like a good value as political bribes go.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's not who met who though ,is it?

It's bribing a small political party to prop up a failing Government, with public money, to mitigate a failure of strategy by the Prime Minister and her advisors. Shameful!

Just like when Gordon Brown tried to do it (but failed) in 2010? or Ed Miliband in 2015? Doesn't make it right I suppose, but rather takes the gloss of the rightful indignation virtue-signalling we are seeing from the lefties?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
£1bn over two years out of a government spending total of approx £785bn a year is the equivalent of a small round of drinks to someone on an average UK wage. Hardly a big deal.

Cutting free school meals was supposedly going to save £650m and seemed pretty important in the Tory manifesto.
Labour's proposed extension of free school meals to all Primary children was going to cost £1bn.

Amazing how 'wreckless' spending pledges or essential cuts can suddenly be turned into a 'round of drinks'...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Have you considered a career as a spin doctor? Beautifully crafted that.

Thank you, as for a new career as a spin doctor, I couldn't condone something I found morally repugnant, and I'm suprised some of the Cons on here aren't embarrassed by this grubby little deal.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Cutting free school meals was supposedly going to save £650m and seemed pretty important in the Tory manifesto.
Labour's proposed extension of free school meals to all Primary children was going to cost £1bn.

Amazing how 'wreckless' spending pledges or essential cuts can suddenly be turned into a 'round of drinks'...

This

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Thank you, as for a new career as a spin doctor, I couldn't condone something I found morally repugnant, and I'm suprised some of the Cons on here aren't embarrassed by this grubby little deal.

Given the set of Election results are what they are, what would your ideal plan have been for the country, especially with Brexit on the horizon?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Just like when Gordon Brown tried to do it (but failed) in 2010? or Ed Miliband in 2015? Doesn't make it right I suppose, but rather takes the gloss of the rightful indignation virtue-signalling we are seeing from the lefties?

And if these agreements had actually happened, I would have been even more vitriolic in my condemnation. To use these NI politicians as a make weight to achieve power is wrong, no matter which side of the political divide one is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here