Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm off to vote finally. Not sure why I've left it so late given I've been at home all day and it's 5 minutes down the road.

I'm hoping there's a blue rosetted observer that will enable me to share my views on the Conservative campaign (or what they have attempted to pass off as a campaign anyway).

Back via M&S with something to quaff. Cider probably. Feels like that kind of night.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just had a Labour activist at the door.
"How we doing?" I asked
"We know it's going to be close" said he.

I've not had this much attention at any previous election.

Genuinely surprised at this. I thought if anything Kyle would increase his majority. He's got a big and active local party, he seems to be well liked by his constituents and he comes across as a pretty decent chap whereas his opponent has this "Christian cure" nonsense following her around like a bad smell. Then again, I've never understood Hove.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I'm off to vote finally. Not sure why I've left it so late given I've been at home all day and it's 5 minutes down the road.

I'm hoping there's a blue rosetted observer that will enable me to share my views on the Conservative campaign (or what they have attempted to pass off as a campaign anyway).

Back via M&S with something to quaff. Cider probably. Feels like that kind of night.

Hope you don't get wet. It's p*****g down here.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Ha! Sounds like my old teachers at school. "Can do it when he puts his mind to it". I've no qualms about arguing politics with anyone but there is a self-righteousness with some on the left and many on social media who think that they have the moral and ethical high ground by being a leftie. I've no problem with that but when it manifests itself like this (which it often does) and when Tory posters are defaced (hundreds of examples of this) then I think Bozza is spot on with his shy Tory analysis.

caitlin_moran.png

Agree 100% or as they say on MOTD 110%. The mob is getting ever more aggressive and I am sure that this explains why relatively few Tory supporters put posters out. Here in Hastings, there are not many posters and the only Tory one that I have seen, was defaced. And given a post last week, when one leftie thought it acceptable to put photos on NSC of those who actually dared to question Corbyn, you start to really worry about what sort of country it would be should they get to power.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Beat this if you can. Might as well have just burnt their money. Why? Just why?

[tweet]872397001924784128[/tweet]

He thought he was betting on who would take the most seats at Westminster Vegan Food Hall.

The Greens will win the most seats.

West of Landsdowne Street and east of Queens Park Road...

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Genuinely surprised at this. I thought if anything Kyle would increase his majority. He's got a big and active local party, he seems to be well liked by his constituents and he comes across as a pretty decent chap whereas his opponent has this "Christian cure" nonsense following her around like a bad smell. Then again, I've never understood Hove.

Right with you Buzzer.
I suspect it's the 'UKIP effect' (if they'd stood again it's likely would have been safe) but it could just as well be the 'Corbyn effect; or just that huge turnout unnerving activists I suppose.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Agree 100% or as they say on MOTD 110%. The mob is getting ever more aggressive and I am sure that this explains why relatively few Tory supporters put posters out. Here in Hastings, there are not many posters and the only Tory one that I have seen, was defaced. And given a post last week, when one leftie thought it acceptable to put photos on NSC of those who actually dared to question Corbyn, you start to really worry about what sort of country it would be should they get to power.

It's a chicken and egg thing though. Lefties get outraged most about The Sun and the Daily Mail both of whom are pretty awful at times. And then they project it on Tory voters generally. And the Sun and DM pick up on this and the cycle goes on. It needs calling out and challenging on both sides.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't want to spoil my paper, so I'm voting for Charley Sabel.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I think it was you who posted about that the other day and since then, the story has all but been forgotten. Has she even apologised or been asked about it?

Yeah it was me. And nope, no one has even challenged her on those remarks as far as I can tell.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

They were on prime time television FFS. And it was hardly them "daring" to question Corbyn - they were loving it. The only point of the post was to suggest (slightly tongue in cheek, but I don't know why I bothered) that they all look a bit similar. To suggest that this is some kind of Stasi/Pol Pot persecution of dissidents is ridiculous. I simply thought it was vaguely amusing that all those shouting at Corbyn, jabbing their fingers and getting red in the face with their veins standing out like that, were all chips off the same block (and possibly well en route to a blood pressure problem), whereas the gentle, tolerant type of questions seemed to be coming from a different demographic. The idea that I, or anyone else is suggesting persecuting them for the way they expressed their views, just because I didn't like it much, is bonkers and, if you don't mind me saying, a wee bit paranoid.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Perhaps some of his activists want the moderate out.

An interesting piece on the radio this week stated that people have Corbyn and his faction's no.1 goal wrong. All his political life, more than disliking Conservatism and free enterprise, his struggle is and remains against middle class moderates who he feels have bullied their way to control the Labour Party for many decades. A party that in his eyes is there to fight for the working class and trade unionists.

Many of the hard left would gladly see the back of Kyle.

Shame if fulfilled, as he comes across as honest, hard working and his own man in the face of intimidation.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
They were on prime time television FFS. And it was hardly them "daring" to question Corbyn - they were loving it. The only point of the post was to suggest (slightly tongue in cheek, but I don't know why I bothered) that they all look a bit similar. To suggest that this is some kind of Stasi/Pol Pot persecution of dissidents is ridiculous. I simply thought it was vaguely amusing that all those shouting at Corbyn, jabbing their fingers and getting red in the face with their veins standing out like that, were all chips off the same block (and possibly well en route to a blood pressure problem), whereas the gentle, tolerant type of questions seemed to be coming from a different demographic. The idea that I, or anyone else is suggesting persecuting them for the way they expressed their views, just because I didn't like it much, is bonkers and, if you don't mind me saying, a wee bit paranoid.

Nice try. That audience was hardly the gentle tolerant type!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
£25 on the Conservatives to take 330-359 seats at 2/1. Decent consolation if they get less. No amount of winnings can compensate for more....

I've got 369 - 389 at 11/8. That fairly much represents the majority spread I've predicted. Only a tenner on though. It'll pay for a quaffable bottle of wine to accompany my weekend search for ex pat jobs should the bet come in.

I'm not doing a full reverse Phil Collins but if the Tories get a middling majority sufficient to keep both May & Corbyn in jobs my instinct says we're f***ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yeah it was me. And nope, no one has even challenged her on those remarks as far as I can tell.

Appalling. I do think that a lot of Conservatives, probably including senior MPs are not happy with what was said but because it hasn't been reported widely nor has anyone been challenged that the impression is that all of us Tories think it's okay and this is part of the reason for why there's so much animosity from the left for all things Tory.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
£25 on the Conservatives to take 330-359 seats at 2/1. Decent consolation if they get less. No amount of winnings can compensate for more....

You'll be glad to know Mrs GB has her money and hopes on a Corbyn win. Bless her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here