Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Reports that Labour got 40% of the turnout, if this is the case, that's an absolutely stunning performance from the 29% they got in 2015.

Anyone got any latest projection of the turnout?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's not odd at all. The Remainers really have been a little bit shy over the last year. The Lib Dem position was suspect in my view and the electorate largely seem to agree. What it does suggest is that 48.1% of voters plumped for Remain, 51.9% for Leave, of those Leavers there was and is a broad spectrum of views of the type of Brexit wanted. All of this points to a softer Brexit.

But it in no way points to remaining in the EU. If you wanted to remain in the EU and voted for Tory or Labour you backed the wrong horse.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Reports that Labour got 40% of the turnout, if this is the case, that's an absolutely stunning performance from the 29% they got in 2015.

Anyone got any latest projection of the turnout?

BBC saying highest since 1997. Around 70%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
But it in no way points to remaining in the EU. If you wanted to remain in the EU and voted for Tory or Labour you backed the wrong horse.

I haven't suggested that, and neither has the BBC. The question in front of us is what sort of Brexit we have, and the Remainers will favour a softer version than that prepared by 'Theresa May and the Conservatives', which the voters seemed to have rejected yesterday.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
BOOOOMM! This guy's back in town. After three hours' sleep, feeling really rather bad. Wine, crisps or cup or tea? Got to be a cuppa. How did Rudd survive? Thought she was demanding recounts when I went to bed. Did they find a secret stash?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tories need to reflect on the last three elections. Cameron spectacularly failed in 2010 when up against an unpopular Labour leader and on the back of a global crisis which, whilst not the fault of Labour, happened on their watch and then sneaked through in 2015 on the back of the referendum promise (which the Tory leaders then lost) and now, when sitting on a majority, totally misread the mood of the country, called a snap election and lost power!!!

Not a fan of Corbyn but have to hold my hands up and admit he has out performed pretty much everyone's expectations.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

There is no mandate for the new Government take the UK out of the single market among other things.

It's going to be a mess Brexit - not a Hard of Soft

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

No one is saying this. What is being said is a softer Brexit is preferable.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I haven't suggested that, and neither has the BBC. The question in front of us is what sort of Brexit we have, and the Remainers will favour a softer version than that prepared by 'Theresa May and the Conservatives', which the voters seemed to have rejected yesterday.

I have no doubt they would wish a "softer" version.But we are still leaving.
On the plus side those that actually wish to remain in the EU and have been remoaning non stop to have the vote over turned have been blown out of the political water.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here