Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Since when has any and I mean any UK government in power presented palatable, acceptable and ultimately passable bills that the opposition would pass every single time?

Numerous bills get cross-party support.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
"May buys DUP support with £1 billion 'bung" is the Times

"£1bn for DUP is 'just the start" is the Telegraph's splash

and their Scottish edition: "Fury at 'grubby' deal with DUP"

The Guardian go for "May hands £1bn bonanza to DUP to cling on at No 10"

Not to be outdone, the Mirror opts for "May's £1bn bribe to crackpots"

while the Scotsman goes for "£100 million per vote: The price of power"

Rounding off the set, the Evening Standard has mocked Foster up as Dr Evil and Theresa May as Mini-Me on their frontpage. The headline? "I demand the sum of....one billion pounds!"

Only a few weeks ago Theresa May was telling a nurse that the reason she couldn't get a pay rise is that there is "no magic money tree". Now that magic money tree is growing freely in Northern Ireland. The Conservatives have been struggling to get further cuts through as it is - just look at the row over tax credits, or the anger at school cuts in the election - but now any further cuts in England, Scotland and Wales will rub up against the inevitable comeback not only from the opposition parties but the voters: "But you've got money to spend in Northern Ireland!"

For Labour, who have spent the last seven years arguing, with varying degrees of effectiveness that austerity is a choice, it's as close to an open goal as you can imagine. Theresa May's new government is now stable - but it's less clear how long it will take her Nasty Party to feel strong again.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"May buys DUP support with £1 billion 'bung" is the Times

"£1bn for DUP is 'just the start" is the Telegraph's splash

and their Scottish edition: "Fury at 'grubby' deal with DUP"

The Guardian go for "May hands £1bn bonanza to DUP to cling on at No 10"

Not to be outdone, the Mirror opts for "May's £1bn bribe to crackpots"

while the Scotsman goes for "£100 million per vote: The price of power"

Rounding off the set, the Evening Standard has mocked Foster up as Dr Evil and Theresa May as Mini-Me on their frontpage. The headline? "I demand the sum of....one billion pounds!"

Only a few weeks ago Theresa May was telling a nurse that the reason she couldn't get a pay rise is that there is "no magic money tree". Now that magic money tree is growing freely in Northern Ireland. The Conservatives have been struggling to get further cuts through as it is - just look at the row over tax credits, or the anger at school cuts in the election - but now any further cuts in England, Scotland and Wales will rub up against the inevitable comeback not only from the opposition parties but the voters: "But you've got money to spend in Northern Ireland!"

For Labour, who have spent the last seven years arguing, with varying degrees of effectiveness that austerity is a choice, it's as close to an open goal as you can imagine. Theresa May's new government is now stable - but it's less clear how long it will take her Nasty Party to feel strong again.

The Magic Money Tree you say...

19510576_472127173132675_5217371238694745918_n.jpg

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Coalition of chaos

Magic money tree

Strong and stable...

...if the Tories coin a soundbite, you can almost guarantee it can be used against them within weeks

:lol:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Since when has any and I mean any UK government in power presented palatable, acceptable and ultimately passable bills that the opposition would pass every single time?

Sir you're living in cuckoo land if you think Jeremy Corbyn and his Labour entourage will be voting for any bill the Tories propose look at the boys parliament voting history for a start.

Opposition the clue is in the word. :shrug:

Could you use punctuation please?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Talking to a few customers today, most of whom don't know my political leanings, I've never heard so much anger as at this deal. True Blue Tories are being really scathing, some even saying they hope it all falls apart, how can they give our money away, when we've been told we haven't got any, etc etc

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Talking to a few customers today, most of whom don't know my political leanings, I've never heard so much anger as at this deal. True Blue Tories are being really scathing, some even saying they hope it all falls apart, how can they give our money away, when we've been told we haven't got any, etc etc

I don't see how this wont start mass protests tbh. And what else annoys me is the radio news keep saying how the scots and welsh aren't happy. I don't think they realise that neither are a lot of the English.

It might not be massive, but it is undeniably (for now at least) a victory.

:lolol:

If you were a very machiavellian Labour strategist, a rotten DUP-Tory deal is precisely what you'd pray for to crater the last effects of the big bounce that Brexit gave Theresa May

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

I think there is a huge amount of anger about this, something that doesn't seem at all reflected in the mainstream media coverage. The Times website doesn't even mention the deal on their homepage (I wonder why not......)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Seem to have found 6mill down the sofa as well to give Buckingham palace a spruce up

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I see it's pretty business as usual on the House of Commons. Plenty of laughing and joking at a time when there's a whole world of shit to get sorted. Depressing.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
My post was in answer to JC football genius who mentioned Labour buying votes from students.
What the cons have done eith the DUP, is a whole different level

You're right completely different level. It only cost £1 billion.

Buying the student vote would cost the tax payer £9.5 billion, so you're right its a completely different (lower) level. :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Buying the student vote would cost the tax payer £9.5 billion, so you're right its a completely different (lower) level. :thumbsup:

It's not the student vote though is it, it is probably every parent or grandparent that wants to see their kids or grandkids not saddled with debt coming out of a university education. A bit narrow-minded to think it only appealed to students themselves.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Welcome back, still having a whale of a time winding up the lefties are you, or contemplating the MASSIVE landslide you told us the Tories were going to get?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think there is a huge amount of anger about this, something that doesn't seem at all reflected in the mainstream media coverage. The Times website doesn't even mention the deal on their homepage (I wonder why not......)

Is it because they covered it so much yesterday? Numerous links on their front page and today in the news section there is this .. DUP deal: Theresa May buys support with £1bn ‘bung’

If there is a huge amount of anger I certainly haven't encountered it in the real world. Interesting to see if they take a further hit in the polls (ouch).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here