Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Under what circumstances can you see any UK prime minister, sanctioning first use, independently, of nuclear weapons?

I'm just curious

We don't actually get an option for "first use ", when a test firing of Trident ( without a warhead) went wrong last year, the missile was "Detonated" approx. 10 seconds after it went awry by Lockheed Martin.....we had no control over this, the Americans detonated it for us before we did. Ergo, if we use them against a country and the US does not fully agree with the deployment they can just blow them out of the sky and our " deterrent " is non existent.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Did Japan (or anyone else) have any nukes to strike back with?

No, but nor did all of Japan die. I of course hate the idea of the use of nuclear weapons, but it does focus the mind of an enemy. As a leader of a country with nuclear potential you do not rule out anything, and if the worst happens then both sides will most likely be very keen to get to the negotiating table ASAP.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
We don't actually get an option for "first use ", when a test firing of Trident ( without a warhead) went wrong last year, the missile was "Detonated" approx. 10 seconds after it went awry by Lockheed Martin.....we had no control over this, the Americans detonated it for us before we did. Ergo, if we use them against a country and the US does not fully agree with the deployment they can just blow them out of the sky and our " deterrent " is non existent.

Windows XP would probably crash before it got fired anyway

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Whatever anyone's opinion of Corbyn I would be more concerned if a candidate stood up and talked about launching a nuclear attack like it was dialling for a pizza.

Think labour are getting traction as they are actually talking about the issues that people are concerned about talk of red buttons and the IRA is just a ridiculous sideshow

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I have a feeling that this election will be like the 1992 election, Labour have a lot of momentum ( excuse the pun), and no doubt by Election Day, polls may have them out in front. I just have a feeling that the conservatives will lend up with a majority of about 50+

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Whatever anyone's opinion of Corbyn I would be more concerned if a candidate stood up and talked about launching a nuclear attack like it was dialling for a pizza.

Think labour are getting traction as they are actually talking about the issues that people are concerned about talk of red buttons and the IRA is just a ridiculous sideshow

Whilst undedcided, I would like to think that my 'leader' would be clear and certain in the defence of our country.

If the Manifesto is clear and certain elsewhere, why not here too?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tory policy is now

KILL foxes
KILL old and disabled people by stopping their money
KILL the ENTIRE world by chucking Nuclear bombs at them

Hmm, yes, pretty tricky to justify that, I guess. Still, probably a fair price to pay for not having Diane Abbot in the Home Office............

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Whilst undedcided, I would like to think that my 'leader' would be clear and certain in the defence of our country.

If the Manifesto is clear and certain elsewhere, why not here too?

Whatever floats your boat I would rather someone stand up and admit that the use of nuclear weapons was an unthinkable last resort than play to the gallery with Hollywood style tubthumping about launching nukes.

Besides is this really a topic that should be the centrepiece of an election campaign?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Russia, North Korea, potentially Pakistan in the future. Sticking our heads in the sand won't protect us. The world is not filled with nice gentlemen like JC.

Quite astonishing.
In the hypothetical that a rogue nation attacks this country, destroying targets up and down the country with wave after wave Corbyn would just let it happen and not respond to try and protect his own people.
I dont know how any can defend this stance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here